Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: raft repair

  1. #1
    Member Magnum Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    364

    Question raft repair

    i got avon type raft with a hard bottom and it got gashed open by my kiker prop when sliding it off the back of the boat. It is an 8inch long slice in the rear where the pontoon comes to point. what are the options for fixing this?

  2. #2
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default Repairs on Avon sportboat

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    i got avon type raft with a hard bottom and it got gashed open by my kiker prop when sliding it off the back of the boat. It is an 8inch long slice in the rear where the pontoon comes to point. what are the options for fixing this?
    If you're in the Anchorage area I'd stop by Alaska Raft and Kayak and have a chat with Tracey Harmon about this. He's a wealth of knowledge on the subject and would be happy to help you get this done the right way. He wrote an article about repair, entitled "A Patch in Time" (click on the title to read it); it's not as difficult as it might seem. If the damage is in the tip cone area it's a little more challenging to get the patch material to lay flat, but it's all doable.

    Let us know how it turns out!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  3. #3

    Default

    i'd just have it profesionally repaired. a big gash in bad /hard to work on location and a person w/o much experience with it is just asking for air retention problems down the road. Something that large should be patched from both the inside and outside with two patches. Really good shops will then blend the patch with a urethane coat to really seal it all up. A challenging repair but bombproof repair, if done right.

    a field repair would be sewing it up first and then a large outside patch.

    you should call avon too for authorized repair shops so you don't get some hack working on your boat.

  4. #4
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default Stitching problems

    Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    i'd just have it profesionally repaired. a big gash in bad /hard to work on location and a person w/o much experience with it is just asking for air retention problems down the road. Something that large should be patched from both the inside and outside with two patches. Really good shops will then blend the patch with a urethane coat to really seal it all up. A challenging repair but bombproof repair, if done right.

    a field repair would be sewing it up first and then a large outside patch.

    you should call avon too for authorized repair shops so you don't get some hack working on your boat.
    Indy,

    I disagree on stitching. A properly prepped and glued surface should need no stitching at all. In my opinion stitches just get in the way of a good bond between patch and boat. The same thing can be accomplished in the field by "tack welding" small edge portions along the tear, then proceeding with a regular glued repair.

    I do agree on just having a shop do this, assuming you get a shop that knows their repairs. Tracey is the best I know well enough to vouch for, though there are others I'm sure.

    Regards,

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    I understand Tracey has been quite busy the last few weeks. I have a friend waiting on a repair job in there right now and it's taking longer than anticipated. Of course, there's a reason he's so busy -- he's good.

    I've repaired some pretty nasty looking gashes over the years. I get it done, but they sure look ugly afterwards. Raft repair in not rocket science, but there is some definite skill involved. The other thing I've noted is that almost all cuts, gashes, and holes get in rafts when they are *not* in the water. It's amazing what they will endure in the river, but stuff 'em into truck the wrong way and "pop - woosh - thar she blows". It's the story of my rafting career.

  6. #6
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I understand Tracey has been quite busy the last few weeks. I have a friend waiting on a repair job in there right now and it's taking longer than anticipated. Of course, there's a reason he's so busy -- he's good.

    I've repaired some pretty nasty looking gashes over the years. I get it done, but they sure look ugly afterwards. Raft repair in not rocket science, but there is some definite skill involved. The other thing I've noted is that almost all cuts, gashes, and holes get in rafts when they are *not* in the water. It's amazing what they will endure in the river, but stuff 'em into truck the wrong way and "pop - woosh - thar she blows". It's the story of my rafting career.
    Hi Jim,

    Yes, I think perhaps the worst time to bring a boat in for repairs around here is between April and May. After that things slow down a little bit (but not much). I think this winter he had a backlog of around 30 boats or so... Still, I know he doesn't mind having folks sit in on a repair session or three and it's a great way to learn how. He's a master at his craft.

    Have a great summer!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •