Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unconventional Methods to cutting pack weight....

Default Unconventional Methods to cutting pack weight....

So I just got done watching the proving trail adventures sheep dvd and now I must say I have the sheep fever. So much so I'm calling in to sick next weekend and going to go shoot my first sheep. Just ordered my cabelas pack and clothing. I added up all the weight of my gear and it was close to 90 lbs. Since I'm walking in I decided I wanted to get it cut down to 80 lbs max.
    Here's a list of my gear

Cabelas Pack
    Cabelas 4 person tent ( I'm going solo but like the extra room)
    Wiggly's 0 degree sleeping bag (I never get cold, cuz I have a 0 rated bag)
    JetBoil Stove with all the addtional cooking pans etc
    14 cans Chunky soup
    3 costco sized bags of doritos
    Candy
    1/5th of makers mark (to celebrate the kill)
    7 pairs of socks (1 for each day, I don't like to wear socks twice) Smartwool of course
    7 pairs of underwear ( by now you know I'm going for 7 days, probably shoot a sheep the first day though)
    5 pairs of pants ( this kills me as a germaphobe but I'll sacrifice wearing some pairs more then 1 day)
    1 416. Rigby with 20 bullets ( Bears fear me)
    Helly Hansen rain gear
    4 canisters of fuel as I like to keep the tent warm at night....

Weight savings:

Notching the sheep tag for opening day before I go in the field (.02 ounces)
    Taking Ipad Mini instead of full sized Ipad. BIG SACRIFICE but worth it ( half a lb+ weight savings)
    Swallowing peanuts whole for future use in field (1 lb)
    Leaving the spotting scope, tripod and binoculars home (going to use my rifles scope to judge sheep and glass) 5 lbs
    Leaving Tony Russ's dall sheep hunting book at home (1 lb+)
    No wet wipes, toilet paper as I'll go organic this trip (1 lb+)
    Leaving autograph photo of aron snyder in beastmode home (1 lb)
    Snickers mini's instead of the full sized bars. After all I'm going in light. (2 lbs)

I have a real good feeling about this hunt now that my pack is down to 80 lbs. The only thing I might upgrade to is Sitka or Kuiu clothing. I'm not sure I believe in camo, but they look cool and then everyone else that sees me driving around will know I'm a hardcore hunter.

Going to spend rest of the afternoon clearing off some wall space for my sheep!

I almost bit. Gotta love the ultra light strategy.

You could save some more by only having one bullet (one bullet ,one kill) thats how i do it

"Swallowing peanuts whole for future use in field (1 lb)"
    This works for my un-ground coffee beans too. Overall, your plan looks pretty easy. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your successful hunt!

Embarrassed to say I got to the soup before figuring it out...

Magpie-
    Proving Trail Adventures salutes you.

ha haha...you got me it took me just a minute...or two before i realized what the hell was going on. the 14 cans of chunky soup and 4 person tent got me thinking.***.. thats great. you pack like my dad going on a day trip fishing. i cant tell you how hard i was laughing about this post.

Don't forget to put your rounds in a pencil sharpener to pare the bullets down, and empty half the powder out too. If you can wash your camo gear in bleach, you will reduce the weight, as some of the pattern is gone. Also don't forget to shave your head and use the No No on every other parts to reduce hair weight. Blow your nose often using snot rocket method. Trim to the quick, then sand your fingernails down to half the thickness. All that will help out I'm sure.

You can also cut out the middle of your rifle stock so you lighten that up as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

well if were going to lighten the rifle dont forget to take the glass out of the scope, take off the adjustment knob covers, and who needs TWO scope rings...one will hold just fine.

You could leave the stuff bag for the tent and the sleeping bag out. Also you might think about changing to a Coleman sleeping bag with the carhart style material although its 11 lbs they are very nice to crawl into after a successful sheep hunt.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It appears that your list is missing one critical thing. You have to have some water to drink, right?

You could also say screw the sleeping bag, and go with a nice Pendleton blanket.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Ah, satire is a wonderful thing.

I am just taking some tyvek and a sheep call. Drive the quad up as high as I can and cover it in tyvek then hide behind it and blow the call. When they come down I will shoot whichever legal ram comes closest. I may even fashion up some simulated ewe horns on the tyvek cover and spray it down with Hunters Specialties "ewe in estrus" so the horny old boy will load himself up on the rack before I blast em!

I have never laughed in this forum till now!! Killed me with the peanuts, an notchin' the sheep tag! Greatest sheep gear list post of all time. Loved it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I don't know if it's dumb or genius, but I know a guy who took a thick piece of plastic and set out a l/s sheep mount and traced it on the plastic at 100 yards. Then traced the sheep at 150, 200,250, etc. He used that tiny light-weight piece of plastic as a rangefinder.

I also read a popular book about a guy rolling himself up in a tarp at night. Bear burrito is all I could think about.

Having to wipe coffee off the computer screen was worth it.
    Thanks for the laughs.

Funniest dang post I've read in a long time. You had me up to the 4 person tent. The cans of chunky soup and everything after was just icing on the cake <grin>.

More weight-reducing tips:
    1) Pre-heat your meals, so no stove needed; 1/2 pound saved.
    2) Just prior to embarking on your hunt, pre-eat 3 days of meals, another 1/2 pound.
    3) Donate a kidney, 1/4 pound saved.
    4) Haircut, 1/4 oz to 1/4 pound, depending on if you are a hippy.
    5) Circumcision, not much probably.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast