Thread: Ketchikan silvers

Default Ketchikan silvers

Haven't seen much on here about the silvers around Ketchikan this year. We're headed to Behm Canal on the Naha/Helm/Yes bay side this weekend. Of course interested in hali and kings also. Would appreciate any info or updates.

I am not up there but will be up there mid september for a week. I have been watching Clover pass web cam and it seems to have slowed down for seeing as many fish but you have to catch the camera at the right time. Please let me know how you do.

Lots of pinks right now but there are some silvers mixed in. Halibut have been plentiful for us. Maybe all the extra sunshine has them excited. Hoping the silvers kick it up a little in the next few weeks. Helm is great for shrimping if you are into that. Enjoy the weather it is exceptional this year.

Thanks, we will be there mid September so hope it is good then. Glad you are getting into the fish and shrimp

There are a few silvers around. We fished Caamano last weekend and picked up a few but focused on Halibut and did well. I believe if you want to find the silvers you will need to head south to like Adams Point and beyond.

Well, my family & I just got back from two weeks up there. Both Guard island and Camaano point were productive for silvers on cloudy/rainy days. On the bright sunny days, we only caught pinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    Haven't seen much on here about the silvers around Ketchikan this year. We're headed to Behm Canal on the Naha/Helm/Yes bay side this weekend. Of course interested in hali and kings also. Would appreciate any info or updates.

Mapman, my boats caught over 80 today and some hog silvers. All were coming from that direction so I am sure they have to be around down there. Looking to stay pretty sunny, there is ZERO water in the creeks. Looking bad for fishes unless we get a bit of the wet stuff.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If there is one thing about POW, its' that those creeks can go from zero to raging in about 5 hours, given the weather. I'm not worried right now.. plenty of time for a good storm to get those fish up to spawn.

you got that right! last fall on the Klawock they were stacked up behind the weir and the rains came and the hatchery manager said thousands and thousands shot through over the weir......and then the level went right back down the next day.

thanks guys. God knows how I love POW but we wanted to give Ketchikan a try. I can't believe the wx forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    thanks guys. God knows how I love POW but we wanted to give Ketchikan a try. I can't believe the wx forecast.

Never fished KTN in the last 14 trips to POW.....here's one reason why. An 18# reason why. Caught this past Tuesday at the lodge where I stay and will be next month. I have met a few anglers coming and going to lodges on the north end of town who talk of good success. YMMV
    18#coho.jpg

Plenty of silvers around but they've been deep. We've been mooching with 4oz banana weights and using our line counters. Most of the time we've had 100 ft of line out to get silvers. Dropped to 200 once yesterday to get down over a hump and got a double.