Thread: Where to build what to buy

Default Where to build what to buy

My name is Ben and I'm living in the kenai peninsula area around cooper landing I would like to like off the grid and I'm worried how I would get thru the winter how much would it cost me to build a basic cabin and by basic I mean studio apartment basic and I would thing I need to insulate it I don't want to live in a **** hole dark winter sounds depressing enough... I'm looking for cheap land how much a acre is a good deal. Ps anyone with land for sale that needs work done for the land I would consider a trade my time for your land

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4

Not to poke my nose too far where I don't belong, but you should know that there isn't enough time left between now and snow to do that, unless you've done a few before and have everything ready to go. Maybe consider looking for a winter caretaker position for a remote lodge?

Shoot, FM, plenty of time 'tween now and snow if it's just a lil dry cabin (12x16 or thereabouts), ya got no job, and don't hunt or fish .....lots of cheap land for sale in north Kenai, with power, maintained roads, etc.....around Anchor Point too, but ya gotta be careful, some real jokers in those parts....don't need tons of land, an acre lot can provide room for cabin, shed, garden, firewood trees....look for owner finance deals, shop til ya drop....and yes, you need to get on it ASAP!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Who got no Job

And I'm shooting for next year after my contract is up here I'm probally going to get a job a aleyska then build next year after I have some money saves

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Shoot, FM, plenty of time 'tween now and snow if it's just a lil dry cabin (12x16 or thereabouts), ya got no job, and don't hunt or fish .....lots of cheap land for sale in north Kenai, with power, maintained roads, etc.....around Anchor Point too, but ya gotta be careful, some real jokers in those parts....don't need tons of land, an acre lot can provide room for cabin, shed, garden, firewood trees....look for owner finance deals, shop til ya drop....and yes, you need to get on it ASAP!
    Where would I find land that is owner financed

Quote Originally Posted by wild4alaska View Post
    Where would I find land that is owner financed
    Try the yellow pages....under "realtors" ....a realtor is your best friend in a land deal, ideally representing both you and the seller....it doesn't matter how many hours they put in showing you the property, writing up the contracts and disclosures, etc., their commish will be the same....so don't be afraid to put em to work, lol....just get on the horn with every agency in the area and tell them what you're looking for....these people's mission in life is to get you what you want....you'd be amazed how easy a process it is. Don't even think of not going through a title company/ escrow....too easy to get screwed. Happy hunting.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

If buying thru a realtor, don't fall into the trap that they'll set for you. Do not sign the exclusive. They might say they can't help you or won't, if you don't sign it, but its a trap and is only done by lesser agents in my experience. I just about got my arm twisted off to sign one of these after I drove a long time to see a property..... Just say no. (Then call their boss, unless they own their realtor firm).

Go to Alaska DNR's website and look at the over the counter land sales. Small down and no credit check if that is a problem. I just paid off the last one I bought from them. $88 a month payment on a 4 acre chunk of beautiful land.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Google Alaskarealestate.com. I've seen some lots on the Kenai Peninsula for as little as $5000. I've also seen some cabins for as little as $10,000. You won't be far off the grid, but you won't be othered by door-to-door salesmen.

the state land sales are cool. I bought almost four acres for $3113. That's about as good as it gets. Don't forget craigslist. Craigslist rocks.