Thread: Common oil?

Default Common oil?

I just bought a '96 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 and a 97 Polaris 700 RMK. Both are in good shape and the ZRT has only 315 miles. What I'm looking for is injector oil that will work in both and hopefully will be a generic dyno oil. My guess is the older machines will do fine without synthetic oil. What are you folks using and what do you suggest??
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Check out Amsoil's terminator oil. Great oil and affordable compared to OEM
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

castrol 2t snowmachine oil. it's great stuff, about 1/4 the price of that amsoil. It's very thin, works well in injected machines in the coldest temps. I've been told that ski-doo oil is just rebadged castrol 2t I switched to it after an irondog and local racer from up north told me that's all he uses some 8-12 thousand miles of machining a year.

Is 2T dino oil? The guy I bought them from said to use synthetic or a blend only. I wonder if it is a good idea to move back to mineral oil?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've always used Polaris VES Gold. Very little smoke and sure smells good.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Any kind of synthetic or synthetic blend will be fine. I've run Amsoil, Torco, Polaris VES, Mystic, and Citgo in my '06 600 switchback and at 7100 miles its going strong. Cleaned the exhaust valves once and had very little residue.

+1 for Castrol 2T.

No offense but '90s sleds weren't as technical as the new ones and they burn more oil. Back then I used Castrol because it was cheap by the case at NAPA. Ulimately I switched to Amsoil Interceptor oil. That would still be my choice today after years of scraping variable exhaust valves. These days I use SkiDoo oil in my Etecs. Expensive but these new sleds burn so little oil it's not an issue.