Thread: Bligh or Nigh (Should we go to Valdez?)

Default Bligh or Nigh (Should we go to Valdez?)

Retired Military Father (Captain) is coming up to spend some time with his new granddaughter (my 5 month old). We have a chance to rent the 20' military boat out of Valdez on the 11th. The boat is only allowed to go as far out as Bligh reef. Dad just spent a few days on the kenai with other friends and basically struck out on the reds (too late) so would like to get him in on some silvers and maybe halibut so he can go home with some fish and stories for his friends (along with cute pictures with his grand-daughter). Question is two parts.

1) By the 11th do you think we would be able to get a run out far enough and safe enough (we are pretty experienced boaters) to get into some silvers and/or halibut.

2) I have gear used for Valdez silvers in the harbor area (divers, flashers, dodgers, etc. etc.) but if we go what other gear might I think about picking up if any.

3) Not sure if there is a depth finder on-board those boats so finding halibut beds might be a bit tough so any tips on doing that without depth gear, or any ideas on where to start a search.

Thanks as always to the best fishing forum on the net.

Right now the silvers are around Rocky Point and Bligh Reef. Some are being caught closer in. Also a good number of Kings are showing up. So far they are around 50' down. Not a problem. Trolling speed should be from 2 - 3 mph. I walk past the boats often. I am pretty sure they have chart plotters and depth finders. Good boats, solid rigs, lots of fishing deck space.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I am pretty sure they have chart plotters and depth finders. Good boats, solid rigs, lots of fishing deck space.
    Has been a few years, but can confirm at that time they were good basic mechanically sound boats with plotters/depth finders.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Caught a dozen in the Narrows on Friday in about 3 hours so it's looking like a good year. You shouldn't have any problem getting far enough out. I think by the 11th they will be in pretty close. Let me know if you decide to come down and I'll give you some more up to date info. I plan on fishing tomorrow and then again next weekend. The Women's Silver Salmon derby is next Saturday so we will be out all day

I would also be interested to know how the fishing is going out of Valdez. I will be going down there next weekend, mostly for shrimp and halibut, but we don't have plans to go much farther than Bligh reef unless the weather is very good. We tried fishing around there last May and didn't even get a nibble.

Have you already reserved the boat? I called in late May to reserve that same boat for this weekend and they were already reserved. They have fish finders and gps systems. I would also get a nautical chart that shows what kind of bottom you are fishing. We caught slivers, pinks, and rockfish on the 27th of July.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I always seem to find a few on Bligh Reef, start at the marker in 100ft or so and move deeper as needed 300 ft seems to be where I catch the most.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

We did already reserve the boat and are very excited to have gotten it. My parents were late for the Kenai Red run so have not filled their frezzer box home yet so hopefully some silvers will do and hey Butts would be great as well. If not guess we'll have to do pinks which the first time they were up here (7 years ago) they were tickled pink with pinks (sorry for the bad pun).

I have fished right outside the harbor many times for silvers but never out into the narrows/farther. Any additional things we should know going out farther for them or is the game the same just farther out? We won't have down-riggers but I have divers and flashers and figuring we will do the trolling herring game.

For the halibut just going to put weight on the bottom with perhaps some pink heads (if we catch some the day before). I don't have a lot of interest in getting jigs as that seems like a lot of money in lures just for this one time (not anticipating this trip very often).

Thanks all,

Make sure to check weather and winds at Potato Point and Bligh Reef on VHF, The narrows tends to blow up each afternoon and if you just wait the winds out it makes for a smoother ride back to the harbor, around 9 to 11 pm.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Jaeger33,

where you home based at?

If you are around Fairbanks -- give me a shout and I will "loan" you some jigs.

Hopefully, I also will be down in Valdez around the 10 - 12 time frame

Got some firewood to cut up, and small stuff to prep for moose (15 Aug- hopefully a one trip in and out hunt)

Chris

Gun & Ammo, Thanks for the offer and yes we are in Fairbanks. Unfortunaly we are headed out at 8am tomorrow for a few days on the Denali Highway before heading to Valdez so won't be able to take you up on your "loan". However if you make it down we will be in Valdez starting the 10th returning on the 12th. I think Bear Paw RV has internet so send me a note and maybe we can all hook up for some good fishing.

I wish I could take you out. BUT, the women's derby is this weekend and family is coming in to fish for three days. Probably after that I will be opening a bottle of Canadian Hunter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

In valdez now, finished watching the boater safety video. Funny to me that the whole video is about cold-water submersion with not a lick about how to run a boat much less Valdez specific things like the tanker zone, etc. We are experienced boaters so no big deal for us but worried about some of our military friends with zero boating experience also being able to rent and this video being their only guide. Anyways heading out tomorrow, reports have been that they are in thick so we are cautiously optimistic that despite the rain the fishing will lead to a great day on the water for my visiting parents.