Thread: Best fly out moose float??

Default Best fly out moose float??

I've came to the conclusion that I need to change my moose hunting location! I've been hunting the same spot by wheeler for the last 15years and every year there seem to be more and more people. In the past few years I've had issue with people actually running moose off when they seen other people pursuing the animal. This is why I'm considering a float trip and would love any and all advice on rivers and just anything to be aware of. Ideally I'd like to get in to big moose, caribou and bear.

thanks

You wanna float this year on a fly out? If that's the case your about 11 months late on getting started and an air taxi booked.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No.. It will be a next year trip! I figure ill at least need a year and I already made plans this year with some hunting buddies.

Welcome to the forum mygunz.

You might check out the Float Hunting page, it's really good place to start.

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/activit.../float-hunting

Michael Strahan, the owner of The Outdoor directory is also a hunt planner and would be quite willing to discuss float hunting with you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mygunz, most folks will probably not say what river that they are going to float (and probably have floated with any success) on an open forum like this (I could be wrong, of course). Your best bets are to read posts in the float hunting forum and try to glean where those folks floated, if they mention it, talk with various charter operators to see what rivers they float, or the best bet, try to find your own rivers through research. Also, Mike Strahan and Larry Bartlett are Hunt Planners who can point you in the right direction. If you decide not to pay for their services, once you decide on a river, both may pass on useful info that can help you out during the hunt.

You will not get away from folks (but will see a lot less than on wheeler hunts) while floating, as most likely you may see 1-2 other parties on the river, but at least there will be lots of territory to hunt so you generally won't be on top of each other.

Things to be aware of (there are lots) and I'll only cover a few: 1. Match the river to your skills on the water. If you don't have the experience, don't pick a river that is above your skill level/comfort level. 2. Don't try and float/hunt long distances on the river, when you only have a small amount of time. Basically, don't try and float/hunt a river that is 150 miles long in 10 days. Ideally, you want to stay in good areas more than overnight to properly hunt it. 3. Realize meat care is paramount on the river, where meat can get wet many times through the float. 4. Proper packing of a raft is an art form, not hard to learn, but will help balance out your raft.

These things are by no means all inclusive, just a few items to think about. I have float hunted for several years, and while I am far from an expert, I can speak from experience. Talk with both Mike and Larry, they are the pioneers in AK float hunting and most likely have forgotten more than most of us know. Enjoy yourself in the planning phase, as finding your first river to float hunt is great fun. Read the books that both Larry and Mike (if you can find his) have written as they contain large amounts of great info, including the research part.

Good luck, ask questions, and let us know how things are going.

V/R
    Moose44

Thanks guys!! You have already givin me a lot to look at and research, it's most definitely appreciated!

Shoot me a PM and I will fill you in on what we offer in unit 23. We have a bunch of great choices and plenty of success. More cost effective than you think.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float Hunts, Drop Camps
    Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net

Props to Moose 44 that was a great post so from one Moose to another Moose! Thanks for the Post!