Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What Temperature Insensitive Powders do you like to use?

  1. #1

    Default What Temperature Insensitive Powders do you like to use?

    So you sight in your gun, during the warm summer months & during a single digit day you find your point of impact off quite a bit. I this most likely due to the choice of powder & if so what powders do double duty at low & high temps?

  2. #2

    Default

    GOLD BOND........medicated.

  3. #3

    Default

    I got a good chuckle at of that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    GOLD BOND........medicated.

  4. #4
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Pretty much any of the hodgdon extreme powders for starters. Varget is supposed to be really temp insensitive also. I think for your your average hunter, the velocity loss at low temp is not that important in a lot of cases.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    952

    Default

    I think dkwarthog is on the right track. I was checking the Hodgdon site last night for some powder information and they have some charts showing how their powders compare to others as temp. changes.

  6. #6

    Default

    Gold bond is my favorite too. If you mean for shooting I can not elaborate at this time due to the fact powder is so scarce I may never see my favorite again. Tied for my favorite is the Hodgdon Extreme powders. But thats impossible to find too. This whole powder/ammo things sucks hind tittie. I went from shooting 200-500 rounds a week in 308 to breaking out that gun once a month. I enjoy the 22LR as much as the next guy but its really starting to get a little old. Right now I would't be concerned about temp sensitive powders. Powders are so few and far between now if you can find something that will work buy it, reload it, shoot it, and then buy the next powder when you find it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Gold bond is my favorite too. If you mean for shooting I can not elaborate at this time due to the fact powder is so scarce I may never see my favorite again. Tied for my favorite is the Hodgdon Extreme powders. But thats impossible to find too. This whole powder/ammo things sucks hind tittie. I went from shooting 200-500 rounds a week in 308 to breaking out that gun once a month. I enjoy the 22LR as much as the next guy but its really starting to get a little old. Right now I would't be concerned about temp sensitive powders. Powders are so few and far between now if you can find something that will work buy it, reload it, shoot it, and then buy the next powder when you find it.
    It ebbs & flows, just like anything, but definately in agreement; it sucks in the time being. My guess is than in four more years we'll see a change. In the meantime I guess we'll have to conserve & make due.

  8. #8
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Kushtekaa, check out this link on Hodgdons site, may be the same one LeonardC referred to...

    http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

    the difference between H4350 and Imr4350 is about 60 fps, even less compared to AA4350, and that is for a 125 degree temp change. It certainly would likely make some difference, but 30 or 50 fps difference at 100 yards is probably not that much of a problem for a hunting load for large game. I know plenty of guys to whom a paper plate is the standard by which they judge accuracy, and some of those guys eat well every winter..

    All that said I do try to use the "extreme" powders for my hunting loads if two powders seem equal, i guess it just makes me feel better.

  9. #9
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    It ebbs & flows, just like anything, but definately in agreement; it sucks in the time being. My guess is than in four more years we'll see a change. In the meantime I guess we'll have to conserve & make due.

    I think it's more of a shipping snafu than availability of powders. A short term shortage of powder caused a longer term delay in keeping up to demand locally.The Alaska demand is fairly high and only a small quantity can be shipped up on each barge, so I was told. People I've talked to in the lower say powder is pretty much available now. I'm still looking for a couple powders, like TAC...

    If anyone is interested in some Alliant 4000-MR, I have an unopened pound that I picked up thinking it was 2000-MR () that I would pass on at my cost.

  10. #10

    Default

    Thanks dk for the link,
    I'll keep this in mind when I reload, but sounds like it's not going to matter much, unless shooting long distance, which I won't be doing much of. Probably makes more sense to shoot the most accurate powder for that particular cartridge & bullet?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Kushtekaa, check out this link on Hodgdons site, may be the same one LeonardC referred to...

    http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

    the difference between H4350 and Imr4350 is about 60 fps, even less compared to AA4350, and that is for a 125 degree temp change. It certainly would likely make some difference, but 30 or 50 fps difference at 100 yards is probably not that much of a problem for a hunting load for large game. I know plenty of guys to whom a paper plate is the standard by which they judge accuracy, and some of those guys eat well every winter..

    All that said I do try to use the "extreme" powders for my hunting loads if two powders seem equal, i guess it just makes me feel better.

  11. #11
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    k,

    I haven't mentioned this yet, but a 308 winchester/200 grain thread in the shooting forum reminded me of a specific occurrence. I had shot off a bunch of 308 200 grainers using mr-2000 powder. 4,460 fps from a 20" barrel in summertime temps. Then....in the dead of winter when it was time to send the rifle off for a rebore, I shot off all my remaining 308 winchester stock. It was 15 below zero......I got the same EXACT velocity, then the crony suffered a cold weather injury....dead battery.

  12. #12

    Default

    4460? That's smoking fast.

  13. #13
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    4460? That's smoking fast.
    That must be a typo or that he is saying that the chronograph was on an LSD trip.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    That must be a typo or that he is saying that the chronograph was on an LSD trip.
    Nah its mainer powder was probably spilling out of the case and probably needed hammer to beat on the lever to get it open...

  15. #15
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    man, you guys! given me a hard time ehh? yes, certainly a typo, meant to say 2,460 fps.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Varget yes, BL(C)-2 and H-338 no. I was using H4895 in shouldered rifle and liked it real fine in warm weather, in .338Federal my group dripped 6" at 200 meters. I happened to try varget next and never looked back.

    In pistol powder I find each of TiteGroup, Universal Clays and HS-6 do fine down to -30dF, TG and HS-6 did fine at -40dF, I didn't have any UC loaded that day at the range for testing. All in .45 Colt, tier II loads.

    I have no idea what will work good for you in your guns.

  17. #17
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    man, you guys! given me a hard time ehh? yes, certainly a typo, meant to say 2,460 fps.
    Well Mainer, we thought you might have had some super chambered 308, deck mounted in your canoe!

  18. #18

    Default

    SWMN,
    What bullet / powder combinations are you using in your 338 Federal & for what purpose? I'm going to hi-jack my own thread. Is this possible?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    466

    Default

    I am using 210 and 215gr bullets, one Barnes X the other a Sierra softpoint, I don't remember which one has which weight. For moose, caribou and similar. Actually my wife shoots all our game meat with her 30-30, really the .338Fed is if a bear decides to join us while we are field dressing something.

    I switched to Varget year round because my groups don't move around with temp delta from +80dF down to -35dF give or take.

    Lemme see if I packed that book already, we are getting ready to sell our house...found it on the boxes of loaded ammunition I haven't packed for next month, I am running 44.5 grains of Varget with both of those two bullets, regular primers. I started fooling with magnum primers with H4895 for cold weather loads back in the day, but Varget lights just fine with CCI BR-2s and every other standard primer I have thrown at it.

    I am using bulk demilled LC 7.62 brass, get the long neck ball from RCBS for sizing from .308 to .338, they'll send you one free. Once you have the brass up to .338, use the short ball and save the long ball for your next tranche of .308 brass...

    My Sako (model 85) is real finicky about COAL, I bought a bullet comparator just for that gun. I load mine to the same head to ogive length Federal uses for the 210gr Nosler partition factory load and they group real nice off the lead sled.

    So any standard LR primer, 44.5gr Varget, finicky seating depth - i think i am about .050 off the lands, good to go. Off the lead sled my best group was about 1.75" at 200 meters. I zeroed the scope at 200 meters, about 3" of rise at 100 yards, muzzle velocity around 2500fps. On a typical day I am inside 6" at 200m with that load from the field positions not including prone, on my best day I got a bit under 4".

    I also have the DPMS LR-338, it shoots real nice with anything loaded for the Sako, fits the box magazine just fine.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    I am using 210 and 215gr bullets, one Barnes X the other a Sierra softpoint, I don't remember which one has which weight. For moose, caribou and similar. Actually my wife shoots all our game meat with her 30-30, really the .338Fed is if a bear decides to join us while we are field dressing something.

    I switched to Varget year round because my groups don't move around with temp delta from +80dF down to -35dF give or take.

    Lemme see if I packed that book already, we are getting ready to sell our house...found it on the boxes of loaded ammunition I haven't packed for next month, I am running 44.5 grains of Varget with both of those two bullets, regular primers. I started fooling with magnum primers with H4895 for cold weather loads back in the day, but Varget lights just fine with CCI BR-2s and every other standard primer I have thrown at it.

    I am using bulk demilled LC 7.62 brass, get the long neck ball from RCBS for sizing from .308 to .338, they'll send you one free. Once you have the brass up to .338, use the short ball and save the long ball for your next tranche of .308 brass...

    My Sako (model 85) is real finicky about COAL, I bought a bullet comparator just for that gun. I load mine to the same head to ogive length Federal uses for the 210gr Nosler partition factory load and they group real nice off the lead sled.

    So any standard LR primer, 44.5gr Varget, finicky seating depth - i think i am about .050 off the lands, good to go. Off the lead sled my best group was about 1.75" at 200 meters. I zeroed the scope at 200 meters, about 3" of rise at 100 yards, muzzle velocity around 2500fps. On a typical day I am inside 6" at 200m with that load from the field positions not including prone, on my best day I got a bit under 4".

    I also have the DPMS LR-338, it shoots real nice with anything loaded for the Sako, fits the box magazine just fine.
    Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Also, sounds like you are a mech. engineer, with the delta T descrip. Right now I'm just using 160 gr barnes ttsx bullet. I have nothing really to report other than I have the same rifle & can take deer out to 200 yards with it. I dont have a chrono so can't report speeds. Using rl7, but AA2230 is suppose to be top speeds.

    I always question this cartridge on big browns. Out of the muzzle it duplicates the ballistics of the 338WM at 150 yards. Thanks for sharing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •