Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Suggestions for a Take-down deer rifle.

  1. #1

    Default Suggestions for a Take-down deer rifle.

    Hi all,
    Figured I would ask here instead of researching it thru Google. I'm in need of a take-down deer rifle that I can throw in the panniers of my dual-sport, also called enduro motorcycle. Caliber is not a big deal, as long as I can shoot to 250 yards, something from 250 savage to 270, although a 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor I would consider ideal.

    Don't want to use a scabbard, as I don't want to draw attention to it while I'm on the highway. This is in CA, not AK. If i were back in AK I wouldn't care one way or the other. I've considered the Winchester Trail End 30-30 Model 94, but would like something with more range. I use to have BLR in 308, & shot a lot of game with it, but I always felt it a tad clunky, so not interested in it.

    I would also be using this to hike into the backcountry & would most likely throw it in my backpack, until I got to my hunting area. So being lightweight would help immensely.

    The country I hunt in is a very mixed bag. Sometimes in the forest, a 25 yard shot would be considered long, but up on an open ridge a 300 yard shot is possible. A good deal of terrain relief exists, with some very steep areas.

    Don't care if it's single shot, lever-action, bolt, ... just want something that I can take-down & reassemble in a few minutes.

    Also, I've heard that Remington made a Model 8 & 81 semi-auto that is take-down. For anyone that has one, can they verify this?

    Thanks for your thoughts & experience

  2. #2
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I'd consider the T/C encore. Fairly compact when broken down, reasonably accurate and plenty of chamberings to choose from.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  3. #3
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Take downs are fantastic but typically spendy.

    You can use a Handi Rifle and invest just a couple hundred or so....or spend big $$$ on an Blaser R8 or Sauer 202 takedown.

    If you like a single shot, you can go with a TC and have a pretty flexible rig without breaking the bank.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  4. #4
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Co-Pilot???

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  5. #5
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    Another vote for the contender line.
    BK

  6. #6

    Default

    Pure nostalgia for friends in that part of the world would be a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. I know several families on the NW coast that for generations have used nothing but peep sighted 99's in 300. Kind of the "94 Winchester 30-30" for the region. Having it in takedown would be icing on the cake.

  7. #7

    Default

    If you don't mind spending the $$$ buy a Blaser R8. They are now my go to rifles for everything in Alaska and they have never let me down. Fantastic trigger, every barrel I've owned would shoot well under MOA with no muss or fuss trying to work up a load. They are about the only rifle that can be safely be carried with a round in the chamber because you push the safety which is also the cocking mechanism on before firing. I can take down and put any of mine back together and they ALWAYS shoot within 1/2 inch of where they did last time. Sight in an extra scope for insurance and clamp it on if you need it and it will be within 1/2 inch as well. Faster bolt action ever built.

  8. #8
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    Hi all,
    Figured I would ask here instead of researching it thru Google. I'm in need of a take-down deer rifle that I can throw in the panniers of my dual-sport, also called enduro motorcycle. Caliber is not a big deal, as long as I can shoot to 250 yards, something from 250 savage to 270, although a 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor I would consider ideal.

    Don't want to use a scabbard, as I don't want to draw attention to it while I'm on the highway. This is in CA, not AK. If i were back in AK I wouldn't care one way or the other. I've considered the Winchester Trail End 30-30 Model 94, but would like something with more range. I use to have BLR in 308, & shot a lot of game with it, but I always felt it a tad clunky, so not interested in it.

    I would also be using this to hike into the backcountry & would most likely throw it in my backpack, until I got to my hunting area. So being lightweight would help immensely.

    The country I hunt in is a very mixed bag. Sometimes in the forest, a 25 yard shot would be considered long, but up on an open ridge a 300 yard shot is possible. A good deal of terrain relief exists, with some very steep areas.

    Don't care if it's single shot, lever-action, bolt, ... just want something that I can take-down & reassemble in a few minutes.

    Also, I've heard that Remington made a Model 8 & 81 semi-auto that is take-down. For anyone that has one, can they verify this?

    Thanks for your thoughts & experience
    K, you might have had an old steel receiver BLR. Those sure are hefty like you describe. The new ones are made of aluminum. They make a swell little rig. I used to use mine for some 20 miles of hiking to my remote property as a bear protection rig. It felt as light as a model 94, honestly.

    they make em with stainless barrels too:



    and like money pit mentioned of the blaser, the BLR was the only rifle I ever felt was safe enough for keeping a loaded chamber. Not only is rendered safe with a half-cock, the hammer is hinged, and in the forward position, it covers the firing pin, and would be impossible to cock. Seeing the hammer as opposed to an internal firing pin always under spring tension, is a far more safer "safety" IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Remington 760 can be "taken down" (with a couple tools) and reassembled in about a minute

    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  10. #10

    Default

    Mainer, you are correct. It was steel & I always had a hard time keeping the rust off of it in SE. So you're saying the aluminum alloy ones have tighter tolerances?

  11. #11
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    k,
    I don't think you're going to be finding anything wrong with the craftsmanship of a blr coming out of the miroku, japan factory. My biggest concerns with a BLR, is prior owners who try to take them apart. Ask a seasoned gunsmith about one of those coming in for a "reassembly". Outfitted with a 1.75-5x, mine would print 1.5" groups at 200 yds from sand bags.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    952

    Default

    If you're worried about showing a rifle, wait until you load a deer on your bike and start running down the freeway. "Look MaMa, there goes Bambi."

    I've got a TCR87 in .270. It breaks down in half. Barrel is from their old custom shop, 20". Makes a sweet package. Used prices aren't too bad.

  13. #13

    Default

    I tried one of those newer BLR take downs and while it was a pretty good shooter I hated the fact you could not fold in that small piece at the end of the receiver. Always felt like it would end up breaking it off.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Pure nostalgia for friends in that part of the world would be a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. I know several families on the NW coast that for generations have used nothing but peep sighted 99's in 300. Kind of the "94 Winchester 30-30" for the region. Having it in takedown would be icing on the cake.
    How difficult is it to take-down & reassemble the Savage 99?

  15. #15
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    not all 99's are take downs. you may want to private message kkalaska, he's very smart with 99's. in the lower 48 of the world, it would indeed be hard to beat a 300 savage, especially for little cali deer infested with ticks and liberalism. 300 savage with 150 grainers......that's 300 yard deer gun material right there!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    not all 99's are take downs. you may want to private message kkalaska, he's very smart with 99's. in the lower 48 of the world, it would indeed be hard to beat a 300 savage, especially for little cali deer infested with ticks and liberalism. 300 savage with 150 grainers......that's 300 yard deer gun material right there!
    Personifying these deer, doubly increases my desire to hunt them. Thanks for the motivation!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    How difficult is it to take-down & reassemble the Savage 99?
    This is a good video on taking down a Model 99 & how the Takedown Model is different from the standard. Very simple & ingenious. Now I want on with the peep site.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--qnoi7Y28s

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    ...300 savage with 150 grainers......that's 300 yard deer gun material right there!
    And how! I've seen those guys make running long shots using peep sights that leave scope users dumfounded. The 300 is plenty flat with the 150's, but the trick is setting up the gun to take advantage of its 300 yard capabilities while using peep sights.

    The secret is to sight in so the top of the front bead is your POI as you would with a partridge sight, rather than covering the target with your bead, i.e., trying to make the POI the center of the bead. A whole deer can hide behind a bead at 100 yards, but you can easily see your aim point and hit them a whole lot further using the top of the bead rather than the middle. Just a little 99 culture there.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    The M 8 and M81 Rems are take downs and can be taken down or reassembled in less than a minute without tools. Some of the 81s were chambered in 300 Savage. They are not light and many would say they are clunky but I like my M8 in 35 Rem. An Encore in 270 or some such would be a good choice.

  20. #20
    Member Ryan J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    218

    Default

    What about an AR-10 type in .308 (or something of your needs)? Certainly can take apart and reassemble as fast as anything else out there. It looks like you're in CA though, not sure what's allowed there this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •