Thread: Lewmar 1000

Default Lewmar 1000

Okay... first I know its a piece of junk. When I installed it I was pretty green at this and was going on the recommendation of the local installer that this would do exactly what I wanted it to do.

First season and its been nothing but a pain. When it works it works. But much of the time when I press the button to raise or lower it.... nothing. No click, nothing. The first couple of times out I thought it had to do with the level of charge on the house battery since I was having trouble with a house drain anyway.

But since then I have noticed that there are times when it will decide not to operate even after running the motors for a few hours. So that shouldn't be the case.

Also, I only operate it with the motors on.... and still sometimes it chooses not to work, at all.

I have checked the connections and they are tight. Its not a breaker issue, I always double check to make sure the breaker is on.

Are the voltage issues or is there something else I could be missing here.... other than the obvious, that I wasted a 1k on a piece of crap?

Thanks.

any warranty left ?? call lewmar and tell them about it and hope they have decent customer service. I'm not a electrical guy but maybe it has something to do with brushes inside the motor or something weird with internal wiring. good luck and keep the guys on here posted on any progress/regress you make.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm not talking Lewmar, but in general, how long is your wire run? Too small a wire = voltage drop. Easy to check with a meter, but I've seen cases where low voltage gives similar symptoms in other gear.

It might be the control box that all the wiring for the windlass and switches go to. That's the box that usually clicks when you engage the windlass.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Did you do the wiring or did you have a shop do it?
    Go to page 11-12 of your instruction and measure the distance between A+B+C+D+E+= What is the total distance? What circuit are you using? What size wire are you using? Did you make the cable or buy ones that are made up?

Was installed by the shop I bought it from. Total run is 30 feet, from aft battery boxes to the bow. Cables are direct form the Lewmar breaker next to the battery to the Lewmar as far as I can tell. They are 4AWG lines, not sure if they came with the unit since I didn't pick it up, but they aren't "home made". We have considered a bad switch as well. Appreciate all your responses.

Update: Everything looks factory. All Lewmar components. Lewmar breaker. Heavy gauge cables. Bringing it back to installer, will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Update 2: Went through everything again, on shore this time, Traced dozens of wires, labeled everything. Happily and embarrassingly I found the Lewmar Negative had been disconnected, apparently last time I had work done at the beginning of this season, and was curled in the front corner of the battery compartment out of view. That was obviously the problem. So my Lewmar looks to be working again. I'm surprised it worked at all. With how intermittent it was I was certain I had a bad unit like three of my friends/associates have had in the past year. I'm not the one that disconnected it, but I sure am the one who didn't notice it was off after spending hours at sea trying to get the dang thing working. LOL. Bonehead.

Wow!!!!!!!!! What can I say!!!! To start with CONGRATULATION, I bet your happy, I know I would be.

You really did traced dozens of wires and labeled them? Do you know how weird that sounds nobody
    does that, it just not normal. LOL Did you also make a wiring diagram? The next time you have a problem it will only take a few minute for you to fix it.

I wish there more people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Wow!!!!!!!!! What can I say!!!! To start with CONGRATULATION, I bet your happy, I know I would be.

You really did traced dozens of wires and labeled them? Do you know how weird that sounds nobody
    does that, it just not normal. LOL Did you also make a wiring diagram? The next time you have a problem it will only take a few minute for you to fix it.

I wish there more people like you.

LOL. Yup. My "Brother" label maker got a work out. I had been labeling things all season (first season) as small things came up. But had previously yet to trace everything. The local shop that installed the system was doing me a solid by getting me in for a relook during his busiest time of the year even though he knew it was working when it left his shop. I didn't want his guys to waste a lot of time tracing what I wanted to better understand anyway. So I was getting it all mapped out and labeled and found the culprit. There are so many connections to and around the batteries I didn't notice that one negative was missing. It was all installed properly, not installers fault. Had been disconnected while some other work was being done early this summer but before I put the boat in the water for the firs time. Lesson learned.... many more to come after this I am sure. But I will be a lot happier on the water now when something electrical goes wrong having all the wires mapped out ahead of time.