Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai Silvers

Default Kenai Silvers

Anyone try catching one baitless yet?

Caught one this morning red fishing with my flyrod in Soldotna.

Does bait open up the 16th?

Last I heard...

Friend fished the AIH classic this past weekend. Said between the 4 of them they caught 6.......and one big sockeye. All of them, even the sockeye, were caught on single hook quickfish. Btw.....he said the sockeye was bigger than all the silvers.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Talked to a lot of guides that are getting limits without bait in the lower river. With high water you just have to adjust the water fished.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Talked to a lot of guides that are getting limits without bait in the lower river. With high water you just have to adjust the water fished.
    How do you go about adjusting?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    How do you go about adjusting?
    Fish much closer to shore, inside tips are getting hit, also down size in the kwikfish, that seems to be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Fish much closer to shore, inside tips are getting hit, also down size in the kwikfish, that seems to be huge.
    Thanks! I was thinking move in a bit, wouldn't of thought to go smaller.

Gregg Brush (EZ limit guide) has been getting into them pretty frequently.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Gregg Brush (EZ limit guide) has been getting into them pretty frequently.
    Been trying to put the finishing touches on my downstairs bath for some family that's going to be staying with us. One last evening after work tomorrow and it should be done, then i'm gonna go work those silvers!

Been trying to put the finishing touches on my downstairs bath for some family that's going to be staying with us. One last evening after work tomorrow and it should be done, then i'm gonna go work those silvers!
    Looks like were in the same boat......but you, on the other hand, seem to be able to work on your downstairs bath after work.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Plenty of good tips on here. Been swinging flies myself from shore, paying particular attention to water near the bank as river carries a lot of volume right now. Early morning and late evening seen a lot of hook-ups (every 15 to 20 minutes) so must be a good number of fish coming through. Ratio for me seems to be one red for every three or four silvers. Like stated above, really good-sized reds showing up (and chrome too!) with silvers averaging 5 to 8 pounds, although did land a couple that were nudging 15. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gpedersen View Post
    Plenty of good tips on here. Been swinging flies myself from shore, paying particular attention to water near the bank as river carries a lot of volume right now. Early morning and late evening seen a lot of hook-ups (every 15 to 20 minutes) so must be a good number of fish coming through. Ratio for me seems to be one red for every three or four silvers. Like stated above, really good-sized reds showing up (and chrome too!) with silvers averaging 5 to 8 pounds, although did land a couple that were nudging 15. Good luck!
    Awesome, i'm starting to get pissed about this bathroom not being done! I'm one fitting short of finishing the drain though, so i'm fishing all weekend! Thanks again for all the tips!

Went out yesterday and saw a few caught early in the morning on the lower kenai with pixies. Planning on hitting them when they start running a little stronger and taking the kids to drift some eggs, they get a kick out of that.

Finally got out tonight, picked up one and lost 3! All quick fish below the bridge.

What size quick fish and do you have to run divers?
    NRA life Member JVJ

What is silver fishing like below the WA bridge: tide stage, tackle (etc)?. I've been wanting to try it with my kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    What is silver fishing like below the WA bridge: tide stage, tackle (etc)?. I've been wanting to try it with my kayak.
    I've never fished below WA, always above cunningham, I typically fish spin-n-glow and eggs or flat line a quickfish. I like the structure of the river around mud island, I feel like the fish can spread out too much below mud island, particularly when the tide is coming in or high. You might do ok in the lower section on the second half of the outgoing or low tide, but some folks feel the fish come in with the incoming tide?

I've never fished below WA, always above cunningham, I typically fish spin-n-glow and eggs or flat line a quickfish. I like the structure of the river around mud island, I feel like the fish can spread out too much below mud island, particularly when the tide is coming in or high. You might do ok in the lower section on the second half of the outgoing or low tide, but some folks feel the fish come in with the incoming tide?
    "Flat line a quickfish"...??? No diver, no lead?
    I generally fish from Cunningham's bank or Soldotna Creek, but I am dying to try the kayak.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast