Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setnets Must GO!

Default Setnets Must GO!

If we want anymore Kings in the Kenai, the setnet fishery must be abolished. Times have changed and this method is wiping out our Kings. Its time to find another way to harvest sockeye.Traps? Drifters? Anything that allows passgage of Kings would be welcome(state buyout of permits) It is time for all sportfisherman to get together(impossible dream) and hammer the BOF. I realize its a tall order but we have seen that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So maybe if we keep squeaking something may happen or at least be heard.
    Commercial fishing bans in other parts of the world have worked so lets rally, stop the setnets and save our Kings.I know there are many other variables affecting our King runs but we have to start somewhere. In river restrictions are already in place so lets get the next in line.

Red face Nonsense . . .

Commercial set-nets take none—zip, zero, nada—first run Kenai kings.

In-river, sport harvest takes 100% of the harvest of first run Kenai kings.

Commercial set-nets take about 15% of second run Kenai kings.

In-river, sport harvest takes about 25% of second run Kenai kings.

To assert that set-nets are "wiping out our Kings" is pure nonsense and a total fabrication. Why would anyone make such a ridiculous claim?

Call our local ADF&G biologists @ 262-9368 for the truth.

[QUOTE=fishguy;1311171]If we want anymore Kings in the Kenai, the setnet fishery must be abolished. Times have changed and this method is wiping out our Kings. Its time to find another way to harvest sockeye.Traps? Drifters? Anything that allows passgage of Kings would be welcome(state buyout of permits) It is time for all sportfisherman to get together(impossible dream) and hammer the BOF. I realize its a tall order but we have seen that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So maybe if we keep squeaking something may happen or at least be heard.
    Commercial fishing bans in other parts of the world have worked so lets rally, stop the setnets and save our Kings.I know there are many other variables affecting our King runs but we have to start somewhere. In river restrictions are already in place so lets get the next in line.[/QUOTE

Wasting everyone's time with this thread fishguy. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the complexity of UCI fisheries or the status of the runs.

I don't want my money used to buy out set nets! If you want to buy them out then do it, put your money where your mouth is. Go to the bank pull out the cash and buy as many as you can and not fish them. Why should any state funds be spent? Spend your own money not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    If we want anymore Kings in the Kenai, the setnet fishery must be abolished. Times have changed and this method is wiping out our Kings. Its time to find another way to harvest sockeye.Traps? Drifters? Anything that allows passgage of Kings would be welcome(state buyout of permits) It is time for all sportfisherman to get together(impossible dream) and hammer the BOF. I realize its a tall order but we have seen that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So maybe if we keep squeaking something may happen or at least be heard.
    Commercial fishing bans in other parts of the world have worked so lets rally, stop the setnets and save our Kings.I know there are many other variables affecting our King runs but we have to start somewhere. In river restrictions are already in place so lets get the next in line.

Default Commercial inriver guides must go!

I think we should eliminate all the commercial guide boats on the river. Well all those targeting kings anyway.
    Why should Alaskans kings go to tourists from outside of Alaska? Many of these commercial guides are not Alaskan residents anyway and I would bet neither are 90+% of their clients.
    They do target kings specifically and they fish the early run hard and have for many many years.
    I blame the commercial guides for the biggest negative impact on our king fisheries and I think they need to go!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

This type of thread just feeds the discontent and we really do not need that. Does anyone with a half of brain think that guides and set net fisherman leaving the fishery will solve the issue of UCI. Alternations to use patterns and number of participants is on the table but to eliminate one or the other is shooting oneself in the foot.

Default Question Nerka

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    This type of thread just feeds the discontent and we really do not need that. Does anyone with a half of brain think that guides and set net fisherman leaving the fishery will solve the issue of UCI. Alternations to use patterns and number of participants is on the table but to eliminate one or the other is shooting oneself in the foot.
    I looked at the numbers from the 8/1 commercial harvest and added some things up. It was done quick and on the fly, but the numbers I came up with for UCI were about 7400 sockeye and 29600 Coho. I can't remember what the number is, but when the percentage of sockeyes caught drops to a certain number, don't they have to close down? Is this percentage a ratio of sockeyes caught in a single opener versus total run strength, or is it a percentage of sockeyes caught versus cohos and other species.

Thanks.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Well, the issue never existed until the in-river guided sportfishery was allowed to exploit the Kenai to no end. Since then we've had crowding, pollution, turbidity, bank erosion, a declined stock, and so on. The setnetters always put plenty of Kings in the River for abundant returns. Even if they were shut down and all their allocation shifted to the in-river sportfishery, those Kings would just be caught in-river. Remember, the guided sportfishery IS a commercial fishery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenai Crowd.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	72603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenai Crowd 3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	72604

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    Well, the issue never existed until the in-river guided sportfishery was allowed to exploit the Kenai to no end. Since then we've had crowding, pollution, turbidity, bank erosion, a declined stock, and so on. The setnetters always put plenty of Kings in the River for abundant returns. Even if they were shut down and all their allocation shifted to the in-river sportfishery, those Kings would just be caught in-river. Remember, the guided sportfishery IS a commercial fishery.

Despite the best efforts of all of these guides, the Coho run remains robust each year. Thankfully we get the gillnets out of the water soon enough to prevent the destruction of another great fishery. And if the commercial guys I've talked to had their way, they'd wipe out that fishery too.

You sir or mam, are full of BS, and are adding to the problem with no facts to support your off base statements!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Despite the best efforts of all of these guides, the Coho run remains robust each year. Thankfully we get the gillnets out of the water soon enough to prevent the destruction of another great fishery. And if the commercial guys I've talked to had their way, they'd wipe out that fisherytoo.

Despite the best efforts of all of these guides, the Coho run remains robust each year. Thankfully we get the gillnets out of the water soon enough to prevent the destruction of another great fishery. And if the commercial guys I've talked to had their way, they'd wipe out that fishery too.
    Last years Coho run was not so robust.
    Despite the setnets not being in the water for any of May or June the early run of kings is in a disasterous state.
    Can't blame the gill nets for the ER Kings and many locals refuse to fish them anymore. As funtastic said you can thank the guides for that one.
    When I ran down from Eagle Rock to go dipping this year there were still plenty of inriver commercial guides fishing them. Not as many as in the past but still plenty of them there targeting kings. Only a couple of private boats targeting kings and this was on a Saturday.
    The late run of kings wasn't a whole lot better than the early run but it was better and that was with the nets out fishing a good part of the season.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Last years Coho run was not so robust.
    Despite the setnets not being in the water for any of May or June the early run of kings is in a disasterous state.
    Can't blame the gill nets for the ER Kings and many locals refuse to fish them anymore. As funtastic said you can thank the guides for that one.
    When I ran down from Eagle Rock to go dipping this year there were still plenty of inriver commercial guides fishing them. Not as many as in the past but still plenty of them there targeting kings. Only a couple of private boats targeting kings and this was on a Saturday.
    The late run of kings wasn't a whole lot better than the early run but it was better and that was with the nets out fishing a good part of the season.
    As someone who has found employment in the oil industry, I only have 2 weeks off at a time to play. During August last year, I found silver fishing to be excellent. Since fish and lame finds it pointless to count Coho, there isn't reliable historical evidence to compare. I will say that in 8 fishing trips last August with me and my sons, plus other people on some days, we never failed to catch our limits of silvers within 3 hours on each trip. And this during a pink year when we chose to release hundreds of pinks. I base my evidence on how good the fishing is.

I looked at the numbers from the 8/1 commercial harvest and added some things up. It was done quick and on the fly, but the numbers I came up with for UCI were about 7400 sockeye and 29600 Coho. I can't remember what the number is, but when the percentage of sockeyes caught drops to a certain number, don't they have to close down? Is this percentage a ratio of sockeyes caught in a single opener versus total run strength, or is it a percentage of sockeyes caught versus cohos and other species.

Thanks.
    It applies only to the ESSN fishery and that fishery is closed. Most of the coho came from the drift fleet which is fishing the west side of the inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post

Damm, I am still agreeing with you. There are just too many boats on the river and your comments on crowding, pollution, turbidity, bank erosion, and so on continues. I really do not blame fisherman when a stock declines. If it is due to over harvest then the management agency must shoulder the blame. In the case of the Kenai River DNR has failed to limit growth and ADF&G continues to promote opportunity over escapement goal management until the past two years when the stocks declined to the point they cannot ignore it. I am talking primarily about early run chinook.

When does the driftnet fishery shutdown?

Most of us stop fishing by the 29th each and every year because we do not want to catch silvers. ADF&G will shut most of the Inlet soon.
    When does the driftnet fishery shutdown?

Default Good idea!

I'll go for that!

It is about time the average Alaskan is considered as very important in the fisheries management - not just the commercial interests.

And the commercial fishing and tourism industries pay almost nothing in taxes anyway. We all depend on the oil industry and the feds to pay our state's bills.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think we should eliminate all the commercial guide boats on the river. Well all those targeting kings anyway.
    Why should Alaskans kings go to tourists from outside of Alaska? Many of these commercial guides are not Alaskan residents anyway and I would bet neither are 90+% of their clients.
    They do target kings specifically and they fish the early run hard and have for many many years.
    I blame the commercial guides for the biggest negative impact on our king fisheries and I think they need to go!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

TV, will you pay my taxes? I sure don't feel I pay almost nothing. If you pay them for me I would feel better. If I had to guess, I would bet you take more then you pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I'll go for that!

It is about time the average Alaskan is considered as very important in the fisheries management - not just the commercial interests.

And the commercial fishing and tourism industries pay almost nothing in taxes anyway. We all depend on the oil industry and the feds to pay our state's bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

In-river, sport harvest takes 100% of the harvest of first run Kenai kings.
    Why would anyone make such a ridiculous claim?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Why would anyone make such a ridiculous claim?
    Danner AK - not getting your point. The early run and late run are defined by July 1st in-river. The commercial fishery fishes at the end of June south of the Blanchard line on or after June 25th. ADF&G has historically treated the chinook catch in this period as late run because of the travel time from the fishery to the counter. Therefore, for regulatory purpose the commercial chinook harvest has been allocated to the late run for management and regulatory action. Thus the 100% comment.

Next, recent genetic work has indicated a difference in tributary vs main stem spawning chinook. If you forget the July 1 date and go with tributary and main stem as the criteria the commercial fishery does take a small percentage of tributary spawners at the end of June. Not many but some so if this is what your are referencing the figure is not 100 percent but close to it.

Does this answer your question?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast