Thread: Pike advice

Default Pike advice

Howdy all,
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm usually on the saltwater page.

I'll be heading out to Red Shirt Lake / Cow Lake area with some friends next weekend, and I thought I'd bring my fly rod to see if I can remove some of those invasive pike from those lakes. Any advice on line, leader, and flies for pike out there?

Thanks!

I have never used my fly rod for pike but i bet a mouse pattern would work quite nicely. I have also always wanted to use one of my old hula-poppers and see if that would do the trick. Never tried a wire leader on fly line or maybe with pike you can just up the weight of the leader to say 30lbs so it is thick enough that the teeth will not slice through it? i bet their teeth can cut through most any mono but let me know what works! sounds like fun!

Get some toothy-critter steel leader (it's tough and actually casts well) and pre-tie a bunch of streamer patterns (I prefer deceivers, but other patterns like clousers will work) with 6 inches or so of steel leader. If you can tie an albright knot I really recommend that to connect to your mono leader, but if not you can just tie a loop in the end of the steel leader and tie your mono to that. If it's bright and clear I recommend black and white or gray and white; if it's dark or murky then brighter colors like chartreuse, orange, or even bright red and white. I prefer to be in a boat casting towards weedbeds and structure. Sink up just as much as you need and vary your retrieve, but it will generally be fast and short-medium strips. They're ambush predators, so you won't typically see them until they strike and they tend to hit like a ton of bricks so be ready to set (although often you're already stripping hard which does the setting for you). Northerns on the fly are tons of fun, but coming up here I really had to adjust to killing every one I caught (as invasive species) because I did a lot of catch and release in norther Wisconsin where they're endemic. That being said, they're tricky to fillet the bones out of, but their white flesh makes excellent table fare.

Large flies in all colors, but if I had to pic a few, it'd be the basics- black, white, firetiger, chartreuse. Tie them tough with plenty of materials that'll last a few or many fish and not fall apart. Rabbit is popular, but I hate using rabbit on larger flies because it does hold so much water. I prefer yak, Icelandic sheep and similar synthetics. I also use a ton of hackle. Hackle is surprisingly tough with toothy fish. I like eyes on my flies. I think they're a significant attractant to predatory fish. For leaders, I prefer heavy fluorocarbon... I use 80-130# depending on the fish I'm after. If I'm somewhere with a ton of a hammer handles, no need for the big guns. But if there's 40-50" fish available, bigger is better. I used to use wire, but I've gotten away from it. It works, but I've become a fan of fluorocarbon with a #4 clasp directly to the fly eye. Lines, I seldom use floating lines and mostly use intermediate or sinking lines. I don't like using weighted flies for several reason, so I prefer to let the line do the sinking. I like Rio Outbound lines in all varieties. They cast like a rocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails firetiger.jpg   firetiger1.jpg  

Says I can only attach two pics per post, so...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails perch blade.jpg   P5270207.JPG  

I caught a 30-inch pike out of Redshirt Lake once using a simple black leech pattern. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the fly, but make sure you have a steel leader attached because they will cut through a regular tippet. I also bring some jaw spreaders along so you can open their mouths and take out the fly easier. They have very sharp teeth. I have also done quite well using long streamer flies like the D's minnow. I don't think they are very picky. When all else fails bring the bow along and shoot them. Bowfishing is a lot of fun.

In waters where pike know what a hook is, I've had the best luck with long yak streamers in "baby pike" colors. Pike seem to eat their own faster than any other species, and no one seems to think to match up their colors. Can be wicked for big fish no one else realizes are in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    In waters where pike know what a hook is, I've had the best luck with long yak streamers in "baby pike" colors. Pike seem to eat their own faster than any other species, and no one seems to think to match up their colors. Can be wicked for big fish no one else realizes are in the water.
    2nd that; where northerns are invasive and have taken over the normal ecology, using baby pike patterns is a great way to get the fish that are smart enough to survive and grow large. A wounded fish presentation really drives them nuts.

I use 60#-80# flourocarbon leader material.
    My best flies are bunny leeches.

A selection of my leeches.

This is my most productive fly.

The results speak for themselves.