Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 Caribou Closure?

Default Unit 13 Caribou Closure?

Do you think they'll close the hunt to draw permits before the Tier? I think it would make sense because the Tier hunters can't hunt caribou anywhere else. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about a closure at all. Even with the increased permits last year they never met quota.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Do you think they'll close the hunt to draw permits before the Tier? I think it would make sense because the Tier hunters can't hunt caribou anywhere else. What are your thoughts?
    The only limits are the 300 cows (for Saturday) and 2200 bulls. If they're lucky enough to harvest 2200 bulls in 10 days, then the Draws will be closed. Otherwise it's game on

History shows we dont hit 2000 bulls till the second season. Most people are looking for a "good bull" and not a Meat Bou. Even then alot of bou walk due to not being able to identify sex.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a closure at all. Even with the increased permits last year they never met quota.
    Last year they had a quota of 5,500 with about 8,000 permits out there. They reached 4,300 I think? This year, the quota is only 2,500 with over 12,000 permits out there. I would bet they do reach the quota, but maybe not until the end of the first season or early into the 2nd. The bull only restriction will slow things down for sure, but they should still get there. As for the OP, I believe they have stated that they will close both at the same time if/when it closes. Tier I already gets a 10-day head start, so that is their advantage.

Red face

Yeah that kind of bugs me that F and G miscalculated and issued 12000 permits got burned with a low Spring count but is letting all hunters participate anyway. Maybe giving drawing hunters a week or two to hunt but letting the Tier I hunt continue as we gave up our hunting privileges for moose and caribou in other units and are supposed to get a subsistence preference whereas the drawing hunters can hunt anywhere they want for both species.

On the flip side, I like the bull only. Last year I saw herds of caribou, hundreds a day but most of the cows had one or two calves. It was very difficult to ID which cow was with which calf so I was reluctant to harvest one. I watched road hunters jump from their cars and start shooting knowing they hadnt taken the time to identify a cow without calves. Its hard to believe that with all those calves last year the herd numbers arent up there. I wonder if they didnt miss some on flyover cause they have moved with this hot dry Summer.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I crossed the Denali July 31/August 01, 2013 averaging 25 mph and saw NO caribou and worse yet very little sign crossing the highway. Saw moose cow and calf and grizzly sow with two cubs, that was it. Daily travelers would see more than I but that was my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    History shows we dont hit 2000 bulls till the second season. Most people are looking for a "good bull" and not a Meat Bou. Even then alot of bou walk due to not being able to identify sex.
    History? What history? Of 12,000 permit holders, 2500 total quota, everyone worried about early quota being met. I hope you're right, but will be real surprised. Also bet folks will be way less picky on "good bull"

Like Becky said HERE, it's unlikely the quota is gonna be reached in the first ten days of the Tier 1 and community harvest hunt. Not with only one day to take cows. Really depends where they are, if large numbers are close to the roads or not.

No one could have predicted this totally freaky late spring. It hammered a whole bunch of fish, birds, and wildlife.

12,000 just means you are going to have more people riding the road. Won't change anything for the one's that work at it and bring the meat home. As far as history fish and game has the stats and the yearly post on here shows the amount of animals taken and when. Hunter #'s do not seem to affect how fast the numbers move. Of the 12,000 how many are even going to hunt? I know 3 guys last year that only got the tag because they moose hunt in 13 and they never tried for a bou. "Got it incase one walks into camp"

Most guys I've talked to say that 1/2 the permits are hunted, and about 1/2 those are successful. So 12,000 -> 6,000 -> 3,000. Fairly close to the 2,500 limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Most guys I've talked to say that 1/2 the permits are hunted, and about 1/2 those are successful. So 12,000 -> 6,000 -> 3,000. Fairly close to the 2,500 limit.
    Why speculate? You can look up the harvest stats... Last year 65% of draw hunters hunted it had a 50% success rate. 75% of the Tier tag holders hunted for 65% harvest rate. I don't think that the hunt will close before the end of September, but who knows. There were more bulls killed last year than are on quota this year...

That surely didn't prove out last year. Out of about 8,500 total permits, there was over 4,000 animals taken.

Of those 12000 permits, how's many are tier 1, does anyone know?

There are 6,800 Tier 1 permits...700 subsistence...5,000 drawing, for a grand total of 12,500 permits.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...a4bcf6878.html
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks Tearbear.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That surely didn't prove out last year. Out of about 8,500 total permits, there was over 4,000 animals taken.
    Not sure where you got that information. I looked up the harvest data for all of 13 caribou hunts. Got a total number of 3711 successful hunters out of 6187. 60% is a little higher than 50%, but I didn't see the numbers for Did Not Hunt listed yet

.https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfmInterim Reports Caribou - Year 2012 Unit 13A,13B,13C,13D,13E,13ZCurrent File Statistics (110)Successful Unsuccessful Did Not Hunt Total HuntersNumber Pct Number Pct Number Pct Number PctResidents 3711 60%60% of all overlays 2474 40%40% of all overlays 0 0% 6185 100%Non Res 0 0%0% of all overlays 1 100%100% of all overlays 0 0% 1 100%Unspecified 0 0%0% of all overlays 1 100%100% of all overlays 0 0% 1 100%No Overlay 0 0%0% of all tickets 0 0%0% of all tickets 0 0% 0 100%Total 3711 60% 2476 40% 0 0% 6187 100%Total Juveniles: 134Total Seniors: 26Animals Harvested: 3711

Not sure where you got that information. I looked up the harvest data for all of 13 caribou hunts. Got a total number of 3711 successful hunters out of 6187. 60% is a little higher than 50%, but I didn't see the numbers for Did Not Hunt listed yet
    I was just using the total of Tier I plus drawing hunt permits given out for unit 13 (~8,500) and the number of animals taken as of March 20, 2012 was right about 4,000 based on the hotline, so went a bit higher to account for the rest of the season. I don't know why the hotline showed more taken well before the end of the season than your stats show for the entire season, but maybe your stats don't count the spring 2013 take?

That could be, it was just the most recent numbers I could find on the website. It sounds like they're still spread out a lot though, hopefully the early season will stay open the whole time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast