Thread: After helm for saltwater boat

Default After helm for saltwater boat

What is the optimum set-up for the after helm on a saltwater boat. I have seen that some boat operators set a fish-finder immediately in or around the vicinity of the after steering wheel or power controls. This would appear to be a very good idea and therefor avoiding the need to run back to the cabin. What is the optimum setup for this. Is a decent fish-finder at the after helm all that is needed or would anyone suggest anything else...Thanks kindly for all the help

Furuno TZT14 would be optimum.

Bud of mine has a Lowrance finder/GPS. His solution was to get a spare mount and a transducer terminated at the steering station. Just moves his base unit between the two. Cost him under $100.

We have a simple automotive LCD monitor tied in to the main Sitex that is mounted at the helm. The LCD monitor is mounted inside the cabin right up against the aft window in front of the aft steering station. You look through the window and see the same display on the monitor as what is on the helm display. Cheap, easy and out of the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    We have a simple automotive LCD monitor tied in to the main Sitex that is mounted at the helm. The LCD monitor is mounted inside the cabin right up against the aft window in front of the aft steering station. You look through the window and see the same display on the monitor as what is on the helm display. Cheap, easy and out of the weather.
    You don't happen to have a link to the type of monitor you are talking about do you...

I don't have an aft steering station (starting to regret that) but it sure would be helpful to be able to look at the screen on the finder while trolling.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Is it possible to have your garmin or whatever brand GPS display on a monitor like that? Is there an adapter of sorta to plug into the RCA inputs of the monitor?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My Garmin has a video in/out plug. I have a camera to hook on the "in" and want put a small monitor in on the out.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks guys. I was thinking of a lowrance or similar for the aft helm ( were the action is ). Ill be fishing the SE with an awful lot of mooching / light trolling action. I think ive seen some boats with a 6"" , 8" or maybe a 10" monitor. What about the power element of the after helm? should I get full power for all the motors or just the kicker were most of the mooching / light trolling will be?

Micky,

How big of a boat are you getting? How is the kicker going to be set up?

97% of the charter boats are set up with an 8hp or a 9.9 mounted, with a tiller handle on the W coast of POW. The capt sits in the back and controls the boat with the kicker. Those boats are 22-28ft. I can see the need for a mounted sounder in the rear of the boat, but most don't one. Many capts do just fine with a Lowrance. Not what I'd put my money into, but they work. I'd want a pretty good sized monitor, unless you have really good eyes. A set up I really like is the Furuno Nav Net, with another 8" unit in the aft of the boat that is networked in. Those are some high dollar electronics though.

I'm the very rare exception and I don't have a kicker on the boat I run. I have twin 250's. I control the boat via a 250, at a steering station outside of the cabin. Very nice for fishing in big winds, as I can hold the boat when others can't.. but you sure rack up the hours on those engines. I can just look in and see my 10.4" Furuno Nav Net display on my dash from where I control the boat.

If you can afford it go with Furuno electronics. Just go to your local harbor and see what just about all the commercial guys are using. Call or email Chris at http://www.precisionmarinecenter.com/about.php he's a electronics geek knows his stuff and i haven't found anyplace to beat his prices. Tell em Steve from alaska sent ya.
    Gil from Semperfifishing on the hull truth is also VERY knowledgeable on fish finders/transducers and also has great prices and service. I bought a 1kw airmar transducer from him, great price fast/reasonable shipping.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Im hoping to shoot in the 28ft range . Im thinking twin Yamaha 250's and 9.9 kicker off set on the side. I was really following convention with that set up. I was going to use the kicker for the light trolling / mooching and really just to keep the hours of the main power plants. I was not sure whether I should have just the kicker alone or all the engines controlled from the after helm via a dual set-up. Although 270ti's contribution about the wind has had a profound effect on my thinking about this. Given the advent of adverse winds , the kicker would surely struggle to hold the boat. Ill have to look closely at the option of having a dual system in place where as I can turn the main power on from the aft helm ( if indeed that is possible ). Im going to look at furuno range of products right this minute..............................Thanks

Money and horsepower will take care of most of your problems !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

lol lol lol lol , your right there potbuilder

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    You don't happen to have a link to the type of monitor you are talking about do you...

I don't have an aft steering station (starting to regret that) but it sure would be helpful to be able to look at the screen on the finder while trolling.
    The monitor is a Xenarc http://www.xenarc.com/802YV.html. As long as the main unit you're using has a video out port there's no reason you couldn't "slave" a monitor like this to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Im hoping to shoot in the 28ft range . Im thinking twin Yamaha 250's and 9.9 kicker off set on the side. I was really following convention with that set up. I was going to use the kicker for the light trolling / mooching and really just to keep the hours of the main power plants. I was not sure whether I should have just the kicker alone or all the engines controlled from the after helm via a dual set-up. Although 270ti's contribution about the wind has had a profound effect on my thinking about this. Given the advent of adverse winds , the kicker would surely struggle to hold the boat. Ill have to look closely at the option of having a dual system in place where as I can turn the main power on from the aft helm ( if indeed that is possible ). Im going to look at furuno range of products right this minute..............................Thanks
    If the wind is blowing hard enough for a 9.9 high thrust to not be enough, I don't want to be out fishing! I run a kicker simply because the maintenance and replacement costs are so much lower on a 9.9 than a big engine, heck the price difference almost makes a 9.9 a throw away.

As far as electronics on the back, all I care about is water depth and where i'm at so mid to low range depth finder/GPS combo is all I would put back there personally.

If the main chart plotter supports cloning the screen via vga output then a second monitor is a good option. If there is a window in front of the steering station then you could mount it inside and not require a weatherproof monitor. This also lets you see the fishfinder while fishing out back.

That's a very good point that's just been made. Does the monitor in the aft cockpit need to be waterproof? That's a very good point. Im aware that the weather patterns in or around the SE can be very severe , rain wise. All I expect to need is a decent depthsounder/ fishfinder for the rear station