Thread: First Time Halibut Fishing

Default First Time Halibut Fishing

Yesterday a couple friends of mine paid to go out on a charter out of Ninilchik. Aside from the 4 foot waves and me puking over the side (first time in a boat on the sea) it was an awesome day. We all caught our limit of 2, but they were pretty small from what I have been hearing. All four of us got 2 halibut and the total weight of the filleted meat was 50lbs. Is this normal for charter fishing? The captain of the boat told us we were catching the average size for Ninilchik. Are the rumors I hear about Homer averaging 40lb Halibuts true? If that's the case next time I will drive the extra time to fish there. Hopefully I can't get over the motion sickness though. Thanks for any tips/info

If you paid for a full day charter you did not get what you paid for. That catch looks like it came from a half day boat out of Homer $98. If you paid $185 or more you should have done better, but every boat can have a bad day. Book now with Manns charters out of Homer you will get what you pay for. Silver fox, Bob's trophy, and Brooks Alaskan adventures are great to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    Yesterday a couple friends of mine paid to go out on a charter out of Ninilchik. Aside from the 4 foot waves and me puking over the side (first time in a boat on the sea) it was an awesome day. We all caught our limit of 2, but they were pretty small from what I have been hearing. All four of us got 2 halibut and the total weight of the filleted meat was 50lbs. Is this normal for charter fishing? The captain of the boat told us we were catching the average size for Ninilchik. Are the rumors I hear about Homer averaging 40lb Halibuts true? If that's the case next time I will drive the extra time to fish there. Hopefully I can't get over the motion sickness though. Thanks for any tips/info
    The average fish out of homer is not 40lbs, it is the same as ninilchik. If you want bigger average of fish, you need to go on a charter that is willing to put you on bigger fish, not all charters are created equal

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Some of those fish are pretty small. Smaller than what I am accustomed to seeing on full day, single species, charters. Agree that any boat can have a bad day though.

Just a thought but if you go on a smaller tide day, or out of Seward you shouldn't have to use 4lb weights to keep bottom. I haven't fished out of Homer or Deep Creek for a couple years now, maybe thats the norm now. However, that said there is always the debate on bigger tides being better, but when its ripping that hard if makes reeling in the the chickens a lot of work.

I didn't pay for the charter. My friends got them off groupon and I got lucky and fell into a spot last minute. I think they paid $250 for 2 people and it was only a half day charter. Hoose thanks for the info. I won't go to Homer and expect giants doo you have any recommendations down there? Also anyone got a remedy for seasickness?

I have recently read the average fish out of Homer is around 15 lbs these days.
    Looks like they put you on a chicken hole and kept the first two fish you caught.
    Unfortunately this is a common catch these days.
    BK

Your first mistake was using a groupon charter. You get what you pay for.
    Think about do good charter outfits even need to offer discounts? No they do not and they often fill up 6 months to a year in advance.
    So next time do some research first. You saved a few bucks and your fish size shows because of it.
    The fish are averaging smaller in Cook Inlet in general over years past. So no charter can guarantee you bigger fish,but they should have tried if they were a decent charter.
    I would recommend Ron Hurley of In2fishin charters out of Homer. He had a client win the derby a few years back with a 300#+ and I saw pics of a 270# fish off of his boat last year. He knows where there are some bigger fish.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Some of those fish are pretty small. Smaller than what I am accustomed to seeing on full day, single species, charters. Agree that any boat can have a bad day though.
    Agreed. And even for a half day, a couple of those fish could've been bigger fish had they been released and you fished for another half hour. For a half day, you got "numbers" so the fish were biting. Next time, when you have that kind of action, tell the captain you don't want to keep fish that small. It's his boat, but he can't force you to retain a fish you don't want to keep, even if he wants to limit out and go home. So not big fish, but better than a skunk.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    Also anyone got a remedy for seasickness?
    Get your Dr. to perscribe you patches, they work fantastic. The "non-drowsey" seasick medicines off the shelf are definately better than nothing. Make sure you take them an hour ahead of time, I take them all the time when flying in a helicopter.

I went out last week (July 24-July 25) for a double limit overnight halibut trip out of Homer. It was extremely calm then. Yes, it's a cattle boat, but it's my first time, and I wanted a larger vessel for stability. The captain basically parked us over a hole with a bunch of hungry chickens. We ended up catching a range of 15-30 lb chickens and everybody caught the limit. The average was probably around 20-25 pounds. I would have loved to catch 40 lb halibut. We did wander out at midnight to where there were supposed to be larger halibut, but only one guy ended up catching a lingcod and that was it.

Me (in the red jacket and blue/white cap) with one of my 4 catches for the trip.
    Last edited by nyclad; 08-02-2013 at 12:24. Reason: added photo

For sea sickness, my husband has had good luck with the acupressure wrist bands. No chemicals involved! Good thing, as I need him to drive the boat while I fish.

Oh almost forgot. I bought some generic store brand Bonine and took one tablet as we boarded, but it was probably unnecessary as the seas were calm and nobody even got queasy. I did buy a 1/2 pound bag of candied ginger, as ginger is supposed supposed to help with seasickness. Whether it helped or not, we ate the whole bag while on board anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by nyclad View Post
    Oh almost forgot. I bought some generic store brand Bonine and took one tablet as we boarded, but it was probably unnecessary as the seas were calm and nobody even got queasy. I did buy a 1/2 pound bag of candied ginger, as ginger is supposed supposed to help with seasickness. Whether it helped or not, we ate the whole bag while on board anyways.
    I forgot about ginger candy and drops, they helped me a bunch one time out of Seward, we weren't going to go far so I didn't take anything. Got super sick becuase we did go far, captain had some ginger drops that cured me right up. THey go behind your ear too.

Ginger candy definately helps me and I also use sea bands (accupressure wrist bands).Big water and small planes both used to make me sick but after discovering the bands and candy I am able to fly and be in REALLY big waves without getting sick.

to cure your sea sickness, book and pay for a charter, let me go on said charter, upon return I will give you the fish. I like being on the water fishing regardless of size of any catch(heck even on a charter it's called "fishing" not "catching"). I get to fish, you get the fish without sickness. Win Win, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The average fish out of homer is not 40lbs, it is the same as ninilchik. If you want bigger average of fish, you need to go on a charter that is willing to put you on bigger fish, not all charters are created equal

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    You went out and parked on a "chicken hole". Quick in & out trip. Try a full day combo trip. It costs more but has the greatest potential for you to bring home a greater variety of species &/or fuller coolers. Consider Seward, the drive is not as far and there are plenty of charters to pick from and good fishing

Looks like a 12.5lb average. I'm pretty sure that's getting close to what the average up there is.

As it was mentioned, all charters are not created equal. There certainly is a market for those ping pong charters, but they'll all disappear once Catch Sharing goes through and 3a sees one fish.

Captain Steve's Fishing lodge in Ninilchik is where you need to go. They provide everything in one complete package. Lodging, meals, fishing and processing including vacuum sealing your catch. I have stayed with them and will be going back next year. First class operation. Check out their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/captains...ocation=stream

You are a ray of sunshine 270
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Looks like a 12.5lb average. I'm pretty sure that's getting close to what the average up there is.

As it was mentioned, all charters are not created equal. There certainly is a market for those ping pong charters, but they'll all disappear once Catch Sharing goes through and 3a sees one fish.