Thread: Found ! cure for cut off shrimp pot buoys !!

Default Found ! cure for cut off shrimp pot buoys !!

Back east the boys have problems with boats cutting off lobstah buoys here's how one guy fixed the problem !!

"There was a guy where I live who had some of his gear set around a historic lighthouse in the harbor. It wasn't in the channel, it was out of the way. Then some scum bag with a tour boat got a case of the ass about it being there because he couldn't get his boat in as close as he would like. So he started running the guys stuff right over. They got into a shouting match over it, the guy with the tour boat is a total butthole, I know from my own experiences with him.
    To make a long story short, the fisherman took the 6 feet of breakaway off of his buoys and put 6 feet of chain on them. lol!!!!!! he screwed that guys boat right up and he deserved it. problem solved............. Whatever happened to just shooting at peoples boats ????????"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Back east the boys have problems with boats cutting off lobstah buoys here's how one guy fixed the problem !!

"There was a guy where I live who had some of his gear set around a historic lighthouse in the harbor. It wasn't in the channel, it was out of the way. Then some scum bag with a tour boat got a case of the ass about it being there because he couldn't get his boat in as close as he would like. So he started running the guys stuff right over. They got into a shouting match over it, the guy with the tour boat is a total butthole, I know from my own experiences with him.
    To make a long story short, the fisherman took the 6 feet of breakaway off of his buoys and put 6 feet of chain on them. lol!!!!!! he screwed that guys boat right up and he deserved it. problem solved............. Whatever happened to just shooting at peoples boats ????????"

As fun and satisfying as that would be, these days that would probably land you in court and you would likely lose. It would probably be like one of those cases where people are tired of trespassers, so they put up something like a cable across their path and end up hurting or killing a guy. Even though the guy who got hurt was in the wrong, the guy who strung up the cable goes to jail. Just think of what could happen if your chain disabled their engine and they went aground or sunk?

Like I said, it would be satisfying to do something like that, but with today's society of sue first and take responsibility for your own actions.....well....never, the good guy usually loses.

Sounds like a perfect solution to the problem. The chain is used to keep floating line off the surface.......
    I don't think it would be an issue in court. If you screw your boat up and it drifts into the rocks, you were unprepared for an emergency that you created.
    BK

Makes me wonder how many of the cut-offs are happening to guys using floating line for their top shots. Not a shrimp pot in sight around here, but I see that a lot with rec dungie crabbers. Might have 50' of floating line on pots in 10' of water. Of course they're going to get cut off. If the line isn't cut by the prop, it's going to be cut by the time it's eventually freed from the prop. A hundred plus feet floating on the surface over prawn pots? Ya betcha Bob.

yup to much floating rope and to many sea lawyers !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know a guy who uses a log and a duck decoy for his buoy, he has no problems with them getting cut.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    yup to much floating rope and to many sea lawyers !!
    Yup. When it comes to navigation hazards like floating lines however, pro mariners don't need lawyers.