Thread: Satellite tv

Default Satellite tv

I would like to have satellite tv at our cabin for college and pro football this fall. We like being at the cabin as much as possible but also want to watch football. I have heard of people buying another dish and taking a reciever from home to use at their cabin. I assume this is to avoid paying for another receiver. Is anyone doing this? Where can I get a dish from? I use Directv. I would call the local installer but would like to make sure its ok first. Is there any other equipment besides the dish, LNB and mount I would need? Thanks for any help.

You'll have to pay a fee for the additional receiver, but it will still be a lot cheaper than buying a 2nd account with it's own primary receiver and dish. Check yard sales, C list, and AK list for used dishes. I don't know what DTV shoots at (because I absolutely hate their service... switch to Dish Network and be happier!), but their programming probably runs on one main satellite. If you don't need HD and PPV, a single dish with a single or dual LNB will get you there quick and easy.

If you had Dish Network, you would just need a basic receiver (you can probably find an old 301/311 series receiver for less than $20 at a yard sale or online) that would add about $5 to your monthly bill. Any old dish with a legacy LNB will get you the needed signal. Again, stuff that can be had for less than $20 used). By comparison, a brand new dish is only $50 and a brand new dual LNB runs about $25. If you can plumb a post and operate a compass, you can install and point a dish. Ain't hard. Even easier with a basic inline signal meter (another little $20 tool).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You'll have to bring the receiver back and forth with you, since if they're not hooked up (with power) for an extended time, they won't receive their updates.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People have been using boxes taken from the house in campers for years they work fine. The phone line needs to be hooked up for pay per view so it can download and directv can bill you monthly, memory will only hold so much then it needs to download. You can find dishes as said above yard sales, craigs, Ebay is usually loaded with them. I have only gotten maybe a couple updates to my boxes since the early 90's and both where sent from the satellite so it would update when power was on. Setting up the pizza pie dish is really easy compass and protractor is all you need, you need help with the oval dish I let guy from directv set that one up.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had to call directv tech support and asked him about it. He said all I need to do is find a dish and take a receiver from home. As long as its not a primary residence. He even tried to find a place to buy a dish from in Ak but had no luck. They only sell the complete packages. Suggested the same thing you all are saying, Craigslist, garage sale... Which I have been looking but nothing yet. Really helpfull customer service people. If anybody out there has a 1.2M dish let me know. Thanks again.

Try here if you can't find a used one local http://store.satellitemart.com/DIREC...aii_p_458.html

I saw this place when I was searching online. $160 for the dish and $231 shipping. There was one store that wanted $1600 for shipping. They must deliver them in person on a private jet for that price.
    Problem with not being a local buy is the dish is so big it caosts a lot to ship.
    Thanks for the link though.

Have you posted a "want to buy" ad on AK List or C-list yet? Most folks that have an old dish lying behind on the shed are not actively trying to sell it. But if they see someone looking for one, they'll say, "hey, I have one of those sitting out back from when I upgraded to my Dish Pro HD system".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Satellite television providers make their money selling the service. The equipment is usually provided for free. Even when I added a second dish and receiver at my cabin the equipment was cheap.

The equipment is cheap yes but if I were to get it from Directv they would have to sell me a whole seperate package. I was told they dont just sell the equipment. I am going to try and talk to the local installer and see what he suggests. I was told Microcom in Anchorage will sell just the equipment.

I have Direct TV. 5 box's at home and one at the cabin. You have to buy a dish for the cabin and then have the tech come out and tune it. I did this all 3 years ago and I love it. At the time the dish was $199.00 and it was $49.99 for me to take the guy out and tune it. I used Valley Satellite and highly recomend them. The guys name is Shawn 1-888-388-4625. He does all remote installs and sells the equipment and will help you save where ever you can. Good luck and enjoy!