Thread: Looking for a better way to can and/or freeze raspberries this year

Default Looking for a better way to can and/or freeze raspberries this year

I usually make jam out of my raspberries but this year I want to freeze or can some. I have tried in the past with poor results. If anyone has a good tip, I would appreciate it. Thanks

I don't know if this is the recommended way or not, but it works for us... after picking the berrys, we rinse them, pick out as many leaves, bugs, etc, then toss them in a 1 qt zip lock baggie write the year on the bag, and place in the freezer. Been doing it that way for quite a few years and have made some excellent raspberry wine, Jam and jelly... Some of the jams didn't jell, but that makes excellent syrup to put on ice cream... a win win thing.

As John said the only thing different that we do is after they are cleaned we put them on a baking pan and place in freezer and after frozen then we bag up. This lets you take out a small amount if wanted as they are a big glob.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    As John said the only thing different that we do is after they are cleaned we put them on a baking pan and place in freezer and after frozen then we bag up. This lets you take out a small amount if wanted as they are a big glob.
    I should probably clarify, my wife does it the same way you do... and it does make a much neater package. When I actually pick, wash and freeze, raspberries, I usually have wine making in mind, and I'd prefer a quart bag stuffed as full as I can get it. The wife on the other hand, prefers a lot less berrys in a zip lock bag for making Jams and Jellys.. So I guess it really boils down to preferred recipes...

I don't "wash" my berries at all. I just treat them gently, keep them clean and dry, bag them in ziplocks, and freeze. Have never had any issues whatsoever with "quality" or with them sticking together.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist