Thread: Strange Encounters of the BROWN Kind--Kenai

Default Strange Encounters of the BROWN Kind--Kenai

An interesting evening on our bait site. As I posted earlier, after striking out hunting on the back of Skilak lake, I took a fine boar on our site this past Sunday. (F&G said he was smack dab average for a kenai boar--but he's fine in my book as he's my first ever)

All the things I hear about in here regarding bears in stands or chomping our registration signs happend in a matter of two days. I have been keeping it up so my hunting partner can try to get a bear. The site has been getting hammered and I was unable to go on Wednesday bc of work--when I showed up on Thursday they had ripped everything apart. The cushion that straps to my partner's stand (a hang-on stand 20' up the tree) was missing and our registration signs, that I had laminated and drenched in scentblock were shreaded--3 weeks after putting them up. Figured after 3 weeks we were in the clear--nope.

So, my hunting partner came down this weekend from Anchorage to try to get his bear--he's actually out with another friend tonight on the site as I write. So, our site has been getting hammered and was starting to get concerned how much was black vs. brown. I know blacks are coming in from the scat and the fact they have chewed up the seat pad and signs up the tree--but still concerned as I heard several others have had browns visit this past week. So we sit on the site Friday night and see.

About an hour after climbing in our stands, I hear a bear but its making far more noise than the blacks I saw this past Sunday and sure enough a giant brown comes right out. By giant, I cannot tell how big, but the biggest I have seen on the Kenai so far. He see's me reach for my camera right off, chomps and blows then stomps off--blowing as he goes. About an hour later, in comes another bear--loudly. Sure enough, BROWN, but another different bear, much smaller. This guy comes in and starts chowing down. I take a couple pics, a short video. (still haven't learned how to post pics--can e-mail them to someone if they know how) I then notice a black bear not 50yds off our shoulder pacing back in the thick stuff. Looked like he would have come in if not for mr. brownie. My partner got a good look at the blackie and thought he was very nice--just too far and thick for a bow shot. After the blackie backs off, we spook the brown off the site and sit.

Just before dark, the smaller brown comes back again, this time circling around growling and pacing back and forth in about a 75yd circle of the site. And then he goes out of my sight but my part can see him. All I hear is what sounds like him ripping up a tree--later find out from my partner that mr. brownie found the seat cushion stolen then evening before and proceeded to finish off the job started by mr. blackie. After huffing and puffing for 15min or so, he comes right back into the bait. We again spook him out and decided we had enough fun for one evening.

Fairly eventful/entertaining evening. Looks like we have several blacks coming into the site if we can just keep the browns at bay. I will update if they are successful tonight.

As for the signs, this is bothersome. I heard some say better scent control helps--which I did. I laminated, then sprayed the heck out of them with scent lock----not to mention placing them 18' up the darn tree. My partner's stand was hung several weeks prior, sprayed and then untouched until this Friday. I sat in my stand several times--and they left my cushion alone. (must not like the smell of my ***) Seems the only tree with much potential for scent would be mine--which was untouched, but his that was fairly scent free was clobbered. Funny.

Will

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    .....All the things I hear about in here regarding bears in stands or chomping our registration signs happend in a matter of two days.....when I showed up on Thursday they had ripped everything apart. The cushion that straps to my partner's stand (a hang-on stand 20' up the tree) was missing and our registration signs, that I had laminated and drenched in scentblock were shreaded--3 weeks after putting them up. Figured after 3 weeks we were in the clear--nope.....
    After two weeks of sitting, I went to check my bait a couple of weeks ago. My warning sign at the trail fork was ripped from the tree..........5 clear claw signs right down the middle of the page (enclosed in a gallon zip-lock). I figured that was a good sign. When I got to the bait I found it perfectly intact. Nothing had touched it.

Sometimes I think they like the signs/permits/gear more than the bait.

......Just before dark, the smaller brown comes back again, this time circling around growling and pacing back and forth in about a 75yd circle of the site. And then he goes out of my sight but my part can see him. All I hear is what sounds like him ripping up a tree--later find out from my partner that mr. brownie found the seat cushion stolen then evening before and proceeded to finish off the job started by mr. blackie. After huffing and puffing for 15min or so, he comes right back into the bait. We again spook him out and decided we had enough fun for one evening.

Fairly eventful/entertaining evening. Looks like we have several blacks coming into the site if we can just keep the browns at bay.....
    Sometimes I'd like to be able to shoot brown bears in the butt with low velocity rubber bullets.

Default Brownie hung out all weekend---

They hunted again on saturday and the second, smaller brownie that came in on us Friday night hung around the entire day--circuling, huffing, calling everyting around his own. Not one blackie seen. To top it off, found out another fella was using our trail to get back further into the refuge in what appears to be an illigal site based upon his directions. He parked right between their vehicles and my partner confronted him politely about it. He said he was off the refuge and about 1/2 north of us--problem is the refuge goes further than that--and that area is a no-baiting area per my map. Moreover, they asked if he would use a different trail since the ours leads within 80yrds of the stands and bait site. So he went back in a different way, but came out around 9pm on our trail--they could see him from the stands as he walked along. Nothing like other folks and brownies to make a hard hunt.

Luckily, they got a bear in the pass on Sunday. So, we are letting the brownie finish off what in the barrel and leaving the site alone till time to take it down.

Will

Thumbs up

great post thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Wink Have some fun

If you want a kick in the pants and a brown is coming in, keep a good pile of green pine cones handy. If they never see you, start tossing pine cones on 'em. It makes their skin quiver and muscles ripple to get hit when they don't know what it is. Once in awhile you'll get a good roar if he gets frustrated. It'll make your hair stand up.
    Don't wanna be too welcoming anyway.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default brown/black

In my expirience and to confim it again last nite you can always tell when a brown is approaching instead of a black we had a brown come in last nite on the refuge around 9pm we could hear him from a long way out crashing logs and brush snorting and wheezing makeing all kinds of racket before I finally saw him about 75 yards straight behind me he stood up winded us and was gone running.
    About 45 minuites later from the same direction we heard something slowly creeping in and sniffing it took it about an hour to do a half moon circle around to come in from behind the bait in front of us it was black. Didnt shoot it it had a real big rub on its side.
    But you can definitely tell the difference I have had a few browns in over the years and they dont mind crashing in but the blacks seem to creep in slowly.