Thread: Hunting season and fires - Denali Highway - New fire today.

Default Hunting season and fires - Denali Highway - New fire today.

Seen some talk with folks about fire dangers this year. We've been extremely dry all summer, and after watching lightening roll through the last several days, an hour ago I noticed a fire started up around 5 miles south of the Denali Highway, around MP 60. It has grown twice the size just in the hour I've been watching it. We reported it right away.

We'll all have to take extra precautions this year, as it's going to be a tinder box if things don't get wet soon.

Good luck hunting! 9 days till sheep!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Please keep an eye on it. Me and the ms. Would like to head that way camping for our anaversery soon.... Didn't tell her I'm scouting bou spots

Please keep us posted, as we hunt in that area. Any idea if it north or south of Clear Water creek? I guess the a fire could be both good and bad!

There are 4 in unit 13 right now. Clearwater Creek, Tabert Lake, Moose Creek, and Exceisior. The first 3 are 1 acre or smaller. We need rain!!!!!

Thank you for the update. If anyone has more info on the Clearwater fire please keep us posted. We all need to be very careful this fall. Please let it rain for a while!!

Here is the link to the fire information and maps. Good link with lots of info, updated sometimes a couple of times a day: http://fire.ak.blm.gov/afs/

Today there is a lot of smoke coming up from the fire. For those of you familiar with the trail that goes down the NorthWest side of the Clearwater, from MP 60 Denali Highway, where you cross the creek at the trappers cabin, the fire is across the Clearwater Creek about 2 miles or so, near the large lake back there.

Good luck hunting!
    Claude

Not seeing any new information on the fire website. Anyone been in the Clear Water Creek area and have info on the fire? Thanks for the update!! The are still calling this fire only 1 acre in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
    Not seeing any new information on the fire website. Anyone been in the Clear Water Creek area and have info on the fire? Thanks for the update!! The are still calling this fire only 1 acre in size.
    Current situation report says 8 acres. Pretty windy down there today tho, so expect an acreage gain to be reported next time they fly it. Fire #630. Look here: http://fire.ak.blm.gov/content/aicc/...rt/current.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you for the update. That was a web area I hadn't seen before. I'll keep an eye on that. We've hunted that area for 30 years. I hope it doesn't grow much more. We need rain!

Went down the trail to about a mile of the fire. It's just on the other side of the Clearwater, but hasn't reached the edge of the creek yet. Winds are strong today, but have switched to a more North East direction. It was running North West. Still lot's of smoke and flame can be seen from the lodge. With the wind switch, you can see a large burned area to the South West of the fire. It's way more than the acreage they posted, as when we were close, it was burning 1/2 mile to 1 mile wide. Haven't seen the new acreage posted today yet.

Thanks Claude. Now I know where to moose hunt next year
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug this is the area we all got stuck???
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Man I got a killer air show from the front porch of the cabin of 2 huge C130 type airplanes scooping up water every 6 minutes and dumping it on the Tabert lake fire 3 miles away.

This is going to really improve some habitat down the road!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Habitat??? Killer boondockin' with less risk!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Ya habitat. I don't have a sled.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The info on line is a day or two late and they said they couldn't fly the Clearwater yesterday. Any news today?

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Man I got a killer air show from the front porch of the cabin of 2 huge C130 type airplanes scooping up water every 6 minutes and dumping it on the Tabert lake fire 3 miles away.
    CL-215 is perhaps a cousin of the C-130?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.