Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: im bored today so Ill share my sheep gear list..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default im bored today so Ill share my sheep gear list..

    Leaving on tuesday so figured I better break out the gear and thought I would share... Dont know the weights on stuff cause quite frankly I never weigh gear I just take the stuff that makes me comfy...(this is not my final list and some things are missing)

    first aid/emergency kit: the basics...fire starter,compass,stiches,super glue,space blanket ( i also have a full size one that seconds as a tarp) pencil flares(not sure they will work they expired in 87,probably start a fire at least) spare bullet or two,allergy stuff,iodine for nasty water(i dont filter water in sheep country) body warmer pad,lighters,waterproof matches...



    some basic clothes...swazi insulation,my north face coat and liner(seconds as a rain coat) dromadary bag for camp,crampons,koflach,glacier socks,gaitors




    more gear... mountain house(will also have coffee,oatmeal,ramen,jerkey...), water bottle with big mouth(very important when trying to get water from a seep), titanium pot, 2 piece stove(supposed to be one piece...lol),leatherman,headlamp,alarm,heavy duty trash bag,sppare pack buckle,mole skin(although will probably leave behind and take second skin),chapstick,pills to take iodine out.spoon and cup,pack cover,fuel bottle....





    tent(marmot hardshell)..gloves,whites,balaclave,rain paints



    possibles bag...spare clevice pins,spare laces,spare batteries,tape for horns somr sort of nylon sticky tape that seems to work in every thing..lol



    also of course taking a swaro spotter and my 300 weatherby.. some spare ziplocks(great for MH trash),one game bag(if I harvest Im hiking out same day),book that hopefully I wont have time to read..lol,rangefinder.old school sporthills,socks and liner socks...sleeping bag and pad(no inflatables I also carry my pad for spotting in the rocks)

  2. #2
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    I dunno Bear... that stuff all looks kinda new and shiny. You sure it's all going to work for ya? I mean sheep hunting is no place to be messing around with unproven gear....


    But hey, if you are willing to take the risk, who am I to stop ya?

    Yk


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I dunno Bear... that stuff all looks kinda new and shiny. You sure it's all going to work for ya? I mean sheep hunting is no place to be messing around with unproven gear....


    But hey, if you are willing to take the risk, who am I to stop ya?

    Yk

    ahh them are memories YK...lol
    I might buy a new GPS today does that count...

  4. #4
    Member Bambistew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Looks like you're missing a lot of camo and super fabrics in your pile. I would get a new bulb or upgrade the headlamp if it has a standard bulb in it. Had the same one and it burned out at the worst time... Good luck on your hunt.

  5. #5
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Looks like you're missing a lot of camo and super fabrics in your pile. I would get a new bulb or upgrade the headlamp if it has a standard bulb in it. Had the same one and it burned out at the worst time... Good luck on your hunt.
    Yeah... and if he was a real sheep hunter he would be carrying a custom 280 AI. sheesh. And all this time I was under the impression that Bear was an experienced mountain guide. Going to have to reconsider based on the complete lack of KUIU I see in that pile.

    More seriously... I think I have that headlamp too, and it has failed on me several times, not to mention being heavy as a brick. Might think about dropping a few bucks on a fancy LED job. They really are pretty cool.

    Yk

  6. #6
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    That gear looks heavy Dave! I will say this you seem to have everything covered and then some, can't think of anything to add to your list.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Yeah... and if he was a real sheep hunter he would be carrying a custom 280 AI. sheesh. And all this time I was under the impression that Bear was an experienced mountain guide. Going to have to reconsider based on the complete lack of KUIU I see in that pile.

    More seriously... I think I have that headlamp too, and it has failed on me several times, not to mention being heavy as a brick. Might think about dropping a few bucks on a fancy LED job. They really are pretty cool.

    Yk
    Whats a KUIU...lol... Hey on my last personal mountain hunt I carried a 416 wby so I really lightened the load this trip... Bronco keeps tryin to talk me into a 280AI that I have been eyeballing..

    I never had a headlamp issue but have been wanting a new lighter one..the one thing I like about mine is the distance it shines at night which is nice when chasing bears away,if i could find a comparable led I would probably buy it.. and I definetaly carry spare bulbs thanks for the tip bambi

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That gear looks heavy Dave! I will say this you seem to have everything covered and then some, can't think of anything to add to your list.
    32#'s I swear....

  9. #9
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That gear looks heavy Dave! I will say this you seem to have everything covered and then some, can't think of anything to add to your list.
    Remember Bronco, he is taking a page from his guiding career and bringing a packer with him... Why would he care about heavy? It's all about being effective in the field, and nothing makes you effective like having somebody else along to carry your gear!

    If I was smart, I'd do the same thing... but so far I just can't seem to make it work out. In fact, for some reason I volunteered for packing duty again on Aug 10th. I'm going to have to have Bear give me lessons on his recruiting methods one of these days.

    Yk

  10. #10
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Trying to decifer the gear depict in the photos, looks like you don't eat very much for food either.....

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Trying to decifer the gear depict in the photos, looks like you don't eat very much for food either.....
    its all about coffee...lol I drink a dozen or two cups a day...

  12. #12
    Member pa 5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Not busting balls Dave but seriously, you need a new pair of gloves!!!! Love the North Face stuff. Some of the most bullet proof clothes money can buy. Best of luck to ya and we'll be waiting for an epic story. Travel safe.

  13. #13
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    32#'s I swear....
    Sure it is!

  14. #14
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Remember Bronco, he is taking a page from his guiding career and bringing a packer with him... Why would he care about heavy? It's all about being effective in the field, and nothing makes you effective like having somebody else along to carry your gear!

    If I was smart, I'd do the same thing... but so far I just can't seem to make it work out. In fact, for some reason I volunteered for packing duty again on Aug 10th. I'm going to have to have Bear give me lessons on his recruiting methods one of these days.

    Yk
    I think we all need to take lessons from Bear on recruiting young packers for hunts.

  15. #15
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    Love the North Face stuff. Some of the most bullet proof clothes money can buy.
    I'd say that is way too broad of a generalization. NF makes some great gear, but alot of it is gear weenie, urban GQ hunter stuff that falls apart under serious use...at least that is my experience.

    Alot of time tested gear in your outfit. Wish I was packin' up with ya, Bear.

    Princeton makes a little headlamp called the BYTE that I bought for like 20$ at Sports Authority, it uses two AAA's and is plenty bright for general around camp use and some nighttime navigation if needed. Battery life is pretty good as well.

    Good luck up there to all the sheep hunters...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    Not busting balls Dave but seriously, you need a new pair of gloves!!!! Love the North Face stuff. Some of the most bullet proof clothes money can buy. Best of luck to ya and we'll be waiting for an epic story. Travel safe.
    Pa ill replace a lot of things but until they are threads(they aint far ) I will never trade them gloves in.. They have more trips into the mountains then I can remember not counting all the peninsula hunts,kodiak,pws,interior,brooks..lol That is one thing that I am somewhat superstitious about is my gloves...

    thanks for the well wishes.. I be sure to post. No epic story here just gonna go out on a walkabout and see if I can get lucky.. It will be amazing as always just being out there the rest is just icing on the cake..

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sure it is!
    yeah but its lighter then all this crap I just took out of my pack...lol


  18. #18
    Member SLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Dave, good luck to ya, will be looking forward to your hunt report, and some great pics!

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    I hate to tell ya but I have the same alarm clock. Luckily it's not gonna be cold out, because mine sure didn't like being froze.....lol

    And I have to ask.......rangefinder...???........really...???

    Oh and one last reminder..........don't forget the TP.....!!!

    Good Luck buddy, I'll be rootin' for ya...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20
    Member HuntAK59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    yeah but its lighter then all this crap i just took out of my pack...lol

    hahahahahaha
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •