Thread: Best cold weather hunting food? Salmon based "power bar"

Default Best cold weather hunting food? Salmon based "power bar"

****to the mods this is NOT A COOKING THREAD it is intended to be a home grown "power bar" thread for cold weather hunting****

Hi guys! I figured I would throw this out here before we all go nuts hunting this fall. I know I'll be out hunting at forty below. I believe this has been brought up before, and the general feeling was the "best" food to keep a hunter warm and moving was salmon.

I would like to take this opportunity to make not just "smoked salmon" but examine what a hunter needs as food on a long hunt in cold weather, and lets face it, there is not a lot if commercially a available, light weight foods that do this on a budget.

So for cold weather hunts you need protein and fat, and sugar for a boost. Salmon naturally have this with a sugar glaze. Now here is what I thought may be interesting. I believe that I'm going to finish the salmon with a brushed on pure maple syrup glaze. And I am also going to add ginsing, ecanasia vitamin c and d to the glaze.

I did contemplate adding caffeine, but have decided against it for two reasons. One is if you eat the salmon at night, it is bad to stay awake, and I also thought too much caffeine in extreme cold is a bad idea.

After I make some, I hope to take it up to UAF and put it into a bomb calrimiter and then use a simmalar amount of a power bar and compare the real world callories!

so.... Other than what is stated above what would you add to the salmon... Starting with any general smoked salmon procedure? What about a blue berry glaze? Is it worth it for the vitamins?

****to the mods this is NOT A COOKING THREAD it is intended to be a home grown "power bar" thread for cold weather hunting****

At -40, dip it all in Seal Oil
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

True story buddy! Any idea where a city kid like me can procure some?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    At -40, dip it all in Seal Oil

Yep I can also attest to Seal Oil.

You can legally buy seal oil from any Alaska Native person selling it by law. Bewarned that it comes in many flavors. The lighter the oil the better it is (tasty). Darker is burnt and may smell worse. Also "cracklins" are strips of seal fat in oil that are clear.... think the white pieces of bacon. Seal oil rehydrates dry fish or jerkey. It definately provides you with heat.... plus you can run your diesel motor with seal oil too. Same would apply to Hooligan oil (eulachon oil).

For that matter dried or smoked eulachon themselves are powerbars.

Sobie2 (a seal hunter BTW)... I don't have any though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

For that matter dried or smoked eulachon themselves are powerbars.

Sobie2 (a seal hunter BTW)... I don't have any though.
    Fantastic idea, why didn't I think of that!

To start with, The Salmon has some awesome good oils in , and second, its pretty hard to get Seal oil unless you know those whom hunt them.

We make Fish oil out of Salmon . Sheefish, Whitefish by slow boiling. Cool and skim the top, its fishy in flavor (Poormans Nuc-Maum~~LOL!!~~) but its qualitys are a Native substitute for Seal oil.

Your on the right track with Fish, it powers dogs in the -40 quite well, and a Mans gotta eat

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    To start with, The Salmon has some awesome good oils in , and second, its pretty hard to get Seal oil unless you know those whom hunt them.

We make Fish oil out of Salmon . Sheefish, Whitefish by slow boiling. Cool and skim the top, its fishy in flavor (Poormans Nuc-Maum~~LOL!!~~) but its qualitys are a Native substitute for Seal oil.

Your on the right track with Fish, it powers dogs in the -40 quite well, and a Mans gotta eat
    That was some of the smelliest and nasty tasting stuff I ever tried.

I tried some seal oil for the first time this summer. It tasted like fishy cooking oil. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I tried some seal oil for the first time this summer. It tasted like fishy cooking oil. Is that normal?
    Any oil is going to taste like what it came from, what it ate. Seals eat fish, oil will taste like fish. Bear fat's the same; eating fish, taste like the worst type of fish. Eating doughnuts in spring, tastes sweet. Eating berries in fall, tastes sweet. If you hunt bear, I would reduce down the fat into lard and incorporate that into power bars.

Bacon grease, beef fat, Crisco, and butter will all work in place of Seal oil or you can use fish oil if you like the smell. Before they were Power Bars people made Pemmican 50% dried meat and 50% fat and I used to carry a stick of Butter to eat. When my father-in-law made coffee he would add 3 or 4 or was it 4 or 5 Tab spoons of sugar for a kick.

Read up on the history of Crisco, then make an informed decision whether or not to include that with the healthy natural fats like bacon grease, beef lard and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Any oil is going to taste like what it came from, what it ate. Seals eat fish, oil will taste like fish. Bear fat's the same; eating fish, taste like the worst type of fish. Eating doughnuts in spring, tastes sweet. Eating berries in fall, tastes sweet. If you hunt bear, I would reduce down the fat into lard and incorporate that into power bars.
    Great idea!!
    Mountain side Blueberry fed Black Bear is a kick! Them boys is both fat and not far.......Better meat than Caribou, I should ask the wife is she would wanna......

The fats from that would be tasty and usefull for cooking. I like that idea, as ingrediance to pemmican with chopped up dried fruit added to shredded dryed Caribou or Moose......pretty good stuff Ive tried Caribou marrow before, wasn't bad at all......

Muluq, no real way to pronounce it in English. Fermented salmon roe. Has the odor of death (really), tastes just like it, but it is rocket fuel. My BIL's all keep a baby-food jar packed with it in their parkas for when they get cold, just a little dip to pull some out (like peanut butter), and go. I tried it once. It works, but it is a survival food. And it would have to be a survival situation for me to do so again. But then I have a couple nieces that eat the stuff like ice-cream. Go figure.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...