Default New Article - Price's Corner

WHEN THE BULLET IS ACTUALLY DIFFERENT?
    by Mike Price

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/130801
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Interesting article. Would be nice to let us know where to get these bullets.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Interesting article. Would be nice to let us know where to get these bullets.
    http://www.gscustomusa.com/contact.html
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Thanks Mike. What bullet weight would you recommend for large game, Moose/Bison/Bear in a 30 caliber?

Thanks Mike. What bullet weight would you recommend for large game, Moose/Bison/Bear in a 30 caliber?
    GS provides charts for their bullets. If you go to this page you will see what they available by cal,

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/hvtech.html

If you click on the 308160HV078 you will find a chart for this bullet and recommendations based on barrel twist and use.

For bush and dangerous game hunting

S/F greater than 1.6 is required. There is no upper limit to the S/F here. If this bullet does not meet the requirement, use a shorter bullet.
    On their chart you will see that a 10 twist will provide approximately an SF of 1.6. That said, SF (stability factor) is affected by DA (density altitude) and velocity. Lower temps will lower DA. Lower DA and velocities will lower the SF. This chart is probably based on standard atmospherics like 59 degrees, sea level with an MV in excess of 3000 fps. This is probably the heaviest (longest) bullet you would want to consider. Mike choose the next smaller bullet.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Depending on caliber and twist. use the 150gr in 308, 30-06, the 160gr 300WSM, 300Wby, 300Ultra mag and the 177gr for the 300Wby and 300ulra mag close range 1.9 twist, you get the idea. For magnums 160gr is your best choice. MantanaRifleman has the right idea and check out their charts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Haven't started reloading for the large cals yet. But have been slowly gearing up to do so if the APOCOLYPSE comes!! Haha! Would like to try a 160 in my 300 short mag. Have to back up the daughter on her Delta Bison this year. State requires permit holder to use a 200 gr. minimum bullet tho.