Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GPS Recommendation

Default New GPS Recommendation

I am looking to purchase a new gps. I would like some recommendations on what to purchase. I want something that is capable of accepting aftermarket topo and land map chips, which show public lands. Like the ones produced by http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/. I want a high quality unit that is going to be rugged and accurate. I have a couple in mind but donít want to influence any responses. Thanks

Garmin Legend, if you prefer no touchscreen like I do. Another detail that involves personal preferences is batteries; I greatly prefer AA; many prefer the lighter AAA batteries.

I know lots here dont like the touch screens and i get it but I am likely going to test a garmin 600t in the mountains next week..

While not a fan of touch, I'd love to hear what you think of it's operation in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    While not a fan of touch, I'd love to hear what you think of it's operation in the field.

I sure will FM where Im going I dont really need one so I figure its a good time to test one out.. my current one was a big deal cause it had 3 colors on the screen...lol ( a bit dated)

You want the Garmin GPSmap 62 series and I'd highly recommend at least the 62ST model that includes topo maps and electronic compass. There is no better handheld on the market right now. You can add additional maps and map overlays that will display instead of or on top of the USGS topo maps and without affecting the USGS topo maps.

Stay away from touchscreens! They are not very durable in the field, a pain in the arse to use, and the software has a very poor user interface.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSmap 62s ; however, I purchased the Alaska Hunting chip which shows BLM, National Park, Private party land ownership, etc. I've been really happy with it, along with the Garmin Base Camp software. It's not a touch screen and may be considered the minimum requirement for the Alaska Hunting chip. (Alaska Hunting chip, i.e Simm was bought at Sportsman's.) This chip shows, mines, property ownership, national parks, state parks, etc. You know where you are hunting, and has good elevation, river and trail markings in the field. The real fun is using the Base Camp software when you get back, combined with google earth. To me decide if you need touch screen or not, but get the chip. As far as accuracy, most fall in that category with in a few feet. You just need to know if you need to set the settings-- to Decimal Degrees (or) Degrees, minutes, seconds. (big learning curve for me trying to find a certain location)

The most universal coordinate system is DMM (degrees minutes & fractional minutes) and second to that is DMS (degree minutes seconds). But don't forget about all the fun coordinate systems like UTM, MGRS, British Grid, etc. And your map datum is going to be an issue if you use paper maps in Alaska. The modern standard is WGS84. However, if you have a USGS paper map of Alaska, the map datum is probably NAD27 Alaska (the datum will be written on the map). If you pull coords from the paper map and enter them into the GPS while the GPS is set to WGS84, you'll have a ground error of somewhere between 100-200 feet.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    The most universal coordinate system is DMM (degrees minutes & fractional minutes) and second to that is DMS (degree minutes seconds). But don't forget about all the fun coordinate systems like UTM, MGRS, British Grid, etc. And your map datum is going to be an issue if you use paper maps in Alaska. The modern standard is WGS84. However, if you have a USGS paper map of Alaska, the map datum is probably NAD27 Alaska (the datum will be written on the map). If you pull coords from the paper map and enter them into the GPS while the GPS is set to WGS84, you'll have a ground error of somewhere between 100-200 feet.
    I realize Garmin is #1 in the market but check this new unit out that's just become available. Magellan eXplorist 350H $250 will be in stores soon or get online. Has game managed unit boundaries, icon marking, detailed topo pre-loaded and 1yr sub to digital globe satellite so you can scout your hunt and sync to unit. (Much better than google map) Any questions holler

http://www.magellangps.com/Outdoor-N...eXplorist-350H
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

i love my garmin 62st. touchscreens don't work well with gloves or when its too cold.

I've got a Garmin GPSMap 62S, with topos installed on it similar to the 62ST. It's excellent.

I'd echo what everyone said about touchscreens being a bad idea. Buttons are the way to go and the 62S is pretty easy to work with gloves on and cold fingers.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Wow, now I really feel I'm behind times. I'm still using my 60CSx!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Wow, now I really feel I'm behind times. I'm still using my 60CSx!
    Same here.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Since you are buying new, another vote for the Garmin GPSMAP 62 series. I just upgraded this year to the 62S which has a built in compass and altimeter. It is a beautiful unit that is very easy to use and feels very rugged. I inadvertently dropped mine in a creek once and it took me 20 minutes to find it in the water, but I confirmed it was waterproof.

There are a lot of tried and true models out there, but if you are looking for new, go with the GPSMAP 62 series.

I have been looking at 3 different units. The Garmin 62ST series the Montana 650T series or a Delorme PN60W. I like the fact that the Montana has a 4" screen. I have a touch screen phone and figure that it would work very similar to that. What are the down sides of the Montana vs. the 62st other than cost? Has anyone used the Delorme I like the fact you can text with it. Nice to keep in touch with family and incase of emergencies. Not sure how accessible aftermarket maps are for it. Thanks for any input!

Still using my 60CSX also, but think its time to upgrade to a newer 60 series. Had the newer touch screen dakota model took it back within two days because of screen freezing during operation.

One more vote for the Garmin GPS 62S. I also purchased the Hunting GPS MAPS (the hardware chip) for my state (CA.) and the state of Alaska. I used it on POW last year and it worked excellent. I used it on a few hunts last year in California...you cannot get lost using the waypoint(s) system. I got the bug to purchase a GPS when my brother told me a story about his friends heading out ~ 9PM a few years back from their campsite, while on a hunt in the Brooks Range for Caribou. They got their caribou ~ 11AM...it got really dark, real fast...and had to stay the night in the field because they did not bring a GPS with them and could not find their way back to their camp site in the dark. The local bears got their fill off their dead caribou. The story is second hand...so I don't know all the details. Fair to say I was motived to get a GPS for our trip this September up in the Brooks Range with 70 North out of Happy Valley. Lastly, my neighbor is an avid GeoCacher...for him the 62S is the only GPS to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Knot Tellin View Post
    I have been looking at 3 different units. The Garmin 62ST series the Montana 650T series or a Delorme PN60W. I like the fact that the Montana has a 4" screen. I have a touch screen phone and figure that it would work very similar to that. What are the down sides of the Montana vs. the 62st other than cost? Has anyone used the Delorme I like the fact you can text with it. Nice to keep in touch with family and incase of emergencies. Not sure how accessible aftermarket maps are for it. Thanks for any input!
    I have an Oregon, I got a GREAT deal on it so I put up with the touch screen. Its not the end of the world, it works fine once you get used to it. Its not as sensitive as an IPHONE screen so that takes a bit of getting used to. The user interface is not super intuitive but its also modifiable so it works. If I had to pay full price or could get the same deal I would have NOT got the touch screen, but like I said its useable. I used it all winter, yes my fingers got down to 90 degrees rather than the appropriate 98.6 but I lived.

Id rethink the Garmin 62 series. Twice now I've done a software upgrade only to find it won't boot. It shuts down 3/4 through the map load. My unit is less than 12mo.

Only way I've done a restore is a master reset then downgrade the software by copying over and renaming the gupdate.gdb. Losing waypoints sucks.

Hit google for more info on the 62
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

X2 on the Oregon. Check Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast