Thread: Older Outboard Fuel bulb start up

Question Older Outboard Fuel bulb start up

I have an older Johnson V4 that will not start unless I squeeze the bulb by placing it on the seat and using all the leverage in my arm to get fuel to it. Once I do that, it runs just fine. It's just something that I'd much rather fix than live with. I thought it might be a plugged fuel filter but if that were so, would it run acceptably? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
    Mike

Mike, sounds like the fuel filter/water trap--my boat had a similar issue, though not as bad as you describe. A new filter fixed it for me

Also check your carbs they may be plugged and not letting the air purge out.

This may be a little too simple or just not your case, but I had the same problems a few years ago. It wound up just being that the fuel bulb itself had gotten hard over the years. I just replaced it with a new one that was much softer and could squeeze the fuel up to the motor easily from then on. No problems since...

Default I had a similar problem.

I had a Johnson 85 hp some years ago that required the bulb to be pointed straight up in order for it to work right. You may need to zip-tie the fuel line to a frame, bulk head or something to get it vertical so it can work right. But bulbs are cheap, as are fuel filters, and worth it to replace them. Better'n being stuck out in the middle of somewhere.

Fuel bulb with me too.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've checked the filter and it's ok. I took it out again this weekend and it ran great, except for the difficulity getting it started initially. Once it's been running and if I shut it off for a while, it starts right up. I'm unsure on how to check the carbs if they are in fact plugged. I will try the upright bulb tonight. BTW, the bulb is a new one. The fuel tank is new, I have the vent opened, fuel line is new as is the connector. I took the part where the fuel line runs into the motor, where the fuel filter is located, squeezed the bulb, fuel comes out easily. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your advise. I also am wondering about these old Johnson V4's. Provided I had the right year(s) for interchangeability, does anyone know if I can put a 115 hp on in place of the 85 hp? I just thought that if they were the same physically, just different internally, would I be able to swap powerheads and associated electrical. My thinking is if they are the same size/weight, why not have a few extra hp available..?

Default Probably the same motor

I'm pretty sure they are about the same motor. OMC did that kind of thing such as with their 9.9/15hp, 1.5-4hp, etc.

Their big problem with the 4s is that they carbon up easily. I was always having problems with mine but I never had to be towed home (I sold it to homerdave some years ago, and don't know if he had problems).