Thread: Do sheep see in color

Default Do sheep see in color

I'm scheduled for my 1st Dall sheep hunt next year. Looking at some of the clothes I have used in the past on my Alaska Moose and deer hunts, some of my clothing is not camo. I wear gators that have a Red upper, SP3 mountain pants taht are black and i like to wear my Helly Hanson imperatech rain jacket most of the time. SOme say that if a sheep see's your lower half of your body it will be gone. Does Camo for your upper body clothing mean more to the hunt than the lower half? Is camo needed?

Prez

wear the clothes that work best for your environment... I wear zero camo for any hunting and I have never had any issues guiding sheep hunters..its all about movement..sheep have the best eyes in the buisness...think 10x binos...lol...but you can trick them If you get caught moving or skylined be prepared to freeze for a longgggg time or they will bust you.... My idiot packer got busted on a hunt and I had to wait hours for the ram to stop looking up at us... and dont be fooled thay can see a longgggg way so dont be marching willie nillie up a river bottom and not expect to be seen...

They do not see in color, but you should avoid bright colors because they stand out more

As a person who has watched people from great distance for hours at a time, I was shocked to see how light will reflect off the back of a persons hands or sunglasses on their hat. I make it a point to always cover the back of my hands and to not keep my glasses on my hat.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    As a person who has watched people from great distance for hours at a time, I was shocked to see how light will reflect off the back of a persons hands or sunglasses on their hat. I make it a point to always cover the back of my hands and to not keep my glasses on my hat.
    Dang steve, stalker

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Very True, In all actuality, pretty much all sheephunters put their glasses on their hat, me included....

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    SOme say that if a sheep see's your lower half of your body it will be gone. Does Camo for your upper body clothing mean more to the hunt than the lower half? Is camo needed?
    *emphasis mine

It's the human outline. Once the sheep make out the inverted V of our legs they know they're being hunted. Big blotches of light shade in gray/brown work best IMO. Woodland camo i.e. BDUs and the various "treestand" patterns look like dark blobs at a distance and stand out against lichen covered rocks and alpine tundra. As Bear and others said, carefully glassing ahead and keeping still when sheep eyes are in view are far more important.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I don't believe in typical chamo while sheep hunting, but personally I have used "whites" before and do believe they kept me from getting busted at the last minute by a ram I ended up killing. If you haven't been seen, putting on a white Tyvek suit and staying low during the last part of a stalk "can" make a difference.....imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!