Thread: Sale of "Big Game" Taxidermy Mounts in Alaska

Default Sale of "Big Game" Taxidermy Mounts in Alaska

So I dabble in taxidermy as a hobby and I want to be better at it so may mount animals that I have not harvested myself by buying over the internet, mainly thru taxi.net I understand that I may need a fur dealer license, but what about the resale of these mounts once Ive completed them?

What is the legality of this? The way I understand it is that Im prohibited from doing so period without a permit? Is this applicable only to a licensed taxidermist? What about the sale of my own personal trophies, which by the way I happened to mount myself. Am I also required to have a permit? And what is listed under the Big Game definition. Can I legally mount and sale birds, fish and small mammals?

I just dont want to be stuck with mounts I dont want or have room for.

Thank in Advance

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Plain & Simple, NO YOU CAN NOT SELL BIG GAME MOUNTS FROM ALASKA .

You can NOT sell them on Ebay taxidermy.net or any other internet site.

If you are caught you could face FEDERAL & state charges to Include the LACEY ACT if you can not prove the animals were not Legally taken.

The ONLY way Big game mounts can be LEGALLY SOLD is ;

You Must have a Taxidermy license from AKF&G & a Taxidermy license from the State licensing board.

Then you can only sell the mounts if they is an UNPAID BILL remaining from a deadbeat clients>>> BUT<<<<, as a licensed taxidermist we still have to APPLY to AKF&G for permission to sell, & Only after recieving that permission can the piece be advertised.

Call your Local State Troopers office & they will explain it in further detail.

Otherwise, Just wait & ther troopers & USF&W will come to you , GUARANTEED.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    ww.protaxidermy.com

Next part, Back to the License needed to do taxidermy in ALASKA.

You Must have a license from AKF&G & the state licensing board before you can Do ANY taxidermy for others where there will be ANY monitary gain.

That includes , Payment, Barter, they put gas in you rig or ANY other for of conpensation.

Thanks for the response RJ. So what is classified as big game?

Just trying to improve upon my own personal development as a taxidermy hobbyist, but I havent been successful lately in harvesting my own stuff to work on.. Ive done some work for friends, but have not asked for anything in return for compensation, even the cost of materials. I plan on some formal one on one training with the guy in Idaho this fall, so hopefully after this hunting season I can bring my own work.

BtW...I admire your work.

Thanks Again, Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

You can also sell them as part of an estate sale. If the owner has died

Yes Estate sales Also & of all things DEVORCES , but your suppose to still get permission from AKF&G.

I am not trying to bust any chops on here but we see it all the time that someone doesnt know the way the law reads & inevitably invites truoble by the troopers .

If I have a Question , I ALWAYS call USF&W Enforcement or the State troopers, Thats whom is going to write the ticket .

Asking on forums like this & taxidermy.net is not the best idea because you have ALOT of guys that Think they know the law because they heard it or they always did it that way.

But those guys wont come & visit ya in the houskow or explain your actions to the judge.

RJ Simington

What??? I just printed this email, just in case I was asked Kidding aside, not intending on selling any of my personal trophies and do plan on practicing on my own stuff. I will take your advise and call the proper authorities if ever in the situation I described. Thanks again!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

However, if you want to sell Alaska mounts, drive them down to a state that allows it like in Macon Missouri at the Lolli Brothers annual auction. It is full of Alaska specimens. Grizzlies need special considerations though.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    However, if you want to sell Alaska mounts, drive them down to a state that allows it like in Macon Missouri at the Lolli Brothers annual auction. It is full of Alaska specimens. Grizzlies need special considerations though.
    IMO...all Alaskan mounts should need special consideration....I don't think it's right to sell or make a profit off of any of Alaska's game resources in that manner...the selling of big game trophy mounts...JMHO

Unless it is an estate sale, or if the Taxidermist needs to recoup the $$$ for his work after the animal isn't picked up and paid for.
    "Grin and Bear It"

As a long time taxidermist, I actually agree with you.