Thread: Coho update around POW

Default Coho update around POW

What's the silver fishing like around the island at the moment ? Have the kings already gone and left yet? thanks

Here's a link to the Alaska Fish & Game fishing report for POW - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishin...il&area_key=32

Taken on Monday morning. Couldn't get both downriggers down at the same time for over an hour, coho were thick. The kings were icing on the cake. Some BIG kings still milling around. Wife had a 35+ take her mooched herring 10 ft from the boat that morning, but couldn't stick it. A 49 lb was caught same place a couple hours later.

Nice catch Bro B!

Fish are still thick. Strong NW winds are making it a pain in the butt to access some spots, but plenty in the calmer areas. We estimated today (the six guys I had) that we hooked a total of 80 cohos, in our quest for some nice kings. Lots of shaking of cohos, but we kept 36 nice ones. I went through about 18 dozen herring.

We have another 2-3 weeks of king fishing.

Great photo, nice fishes there! Seems this never ending NW is never going to end. Here on a NW it is a mill pond making the fish go deep but soe BIG fish here as well. Boys did well today and we got the fish cleaner her biggest butt to date today. West side is rockin as you can see better than we have for sure. River fishing is epic in a few spots as well.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks gooch. What rivers are fishing well out there? Is it a bit early for the coho ?

Looks like the NW winds are over with now. Looking forward to getting off the beach again and hunting some big hali.

Had to shake a 35lbish king at the side of the boat right after the guys limited.. ouch! Love those Aug chrome Slabs. We got 5 kings today up to the boat. Shook 2, could keep 3. 36 cohos came rather easy too.

Any updates on POW fishing? I'm heading up there Sat Aug 24, going to be on a boat around the northern end, can't wait!

Epic coho run. Still getting lots of kings.

Never seen so many fish. Some big cohos too. 18lb coho the other day.

Pretty great around Juneau, but nothing like these POW reports.

BTW when the heck is Micky_Ireland going to actually be here? Soon?

I expect him to go out and limit out on the first trip in the first hour with all the info he has gotten on the forum

Sobie2

I heard that this is the second best coho year, on record. I think only 1994 is topping this year.

I'm still amazed at how many kings are out there. Boats can get 5-15 kings a day while getting a limit of hawg silvers, if they are in the right spot. Somebody needs to tell those kings it's mid Aug!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I heard that this is the second best coho year, on record. I think only 1994 is topping this year.

I'm still amazed at how many kings are out there. Boats can get 5-15 kings a day while getting a limit of hawg silvers, if they are in the right spot. Somebody needs to tell those kings it's mid Aug!

You know what they say.....WE NEED PICTURES! ....oh here's one....the 18# you boated Tues.18#coho.jpg

Sorry, just had to do it. Be up at Chuck's next month.

BTW , the kings are hanging on the hooks behind the hawg silver and the trophy ling.

Very nice size coho

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    You know what they say.....WE NEED PICTURES! ....oh here's one....the 18# you boated Tues.18#coho.jpg

Sorry, just had to do it. Be up at Chuck's next month.

BTW , the kings are hanging on the hooks behind the hawg silver and the trophy ling.
    If you seen that pic of the cohos, you should have seen the pics of the halibut scores we got recently.. Pretty daymn good, considering the slot we have to work with.. Probably released 10 in the slot with my last group.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If you seen that pic of the cohos, you should have seen the pics of the halibut scores we got recently.. Pretty daymn good, considering the slot we have to work with.. Probably released 10 in the slot with my last group.
    Yea, I read Chuck's Blog all summer. Next best thing to being there....well not really.....it kills to read and see the pics......and still NOT be there.

Maybe I should spritz salt water on my face while rolling my office chair back and forth when I read the KFC blog , hog silvers, trophy ling, killer hali season, Kings that won't quit. What can top that? Maybe Jeanette's cooking! Only 27 days to go.....gahhhhh!.....I'll make it. We're canning the balance of last year's fish next week to make freezer room!

carolinaboy, can you post a link to that blog?

Quote Originally Posted by npaull View Post
    carolinaboy, can you post a link to that blog?

Sure can. There are several years worth of posts on there. Gives you a window into Southeast Alaska saltwater fishing around Prince of Wales Island. I have been going there for 14 consecutive years with one extra trip two years back up to the Gustavus area to fish at a DIY self guided lodge for halibut only in the Icy Straits west of Juneau.

Otherwise, this island is my once a year home away from home and there's no place like home.

http://blog.alaskakingfisherlodge.com/

Mods : if this is a rule breaker, please delete.