Thread: New Forums!

Administrator

Default New Forums!

After careful consideration and several member requests, we have added three new forums to Outdoors Directory. We are always careful with the addition of new forums, because we want to ensure a quality experience for our readers. We believe these forums will attract new members, and enhance the experience for our existing members. Check 'em out!

Alaska Travel (new category). We moved our popular Alaska RV Forum here, and added two new forums to it; Alaska by Road, and Alaska Cruises. We know that many of our cruise ship visitors plan to remain within the cruise ecosystem during their Alaska visit, however many of them are outdoors folk like us, and they want to break free to enjoy a charter fishing trip, flight seeing, or to sample some of our stream fishing. We believe our forum community will welcome them with many fresh ideas and suggestions. The Alaska by Road forum is intended as a venue for popular road trips such as the ALCAN, which is frequented by hunters and fishermen, and of course other unique road trips like the Dalton Highway and others.

Alaska Shellfish: Shrimping, Crabbing and Clamming will take some pressure off of our very popular Saltwater Fishing Forum, and give these folks a specialized area to discuss shrimping, crabbing and clamming around the state of Alaska.

We hope you enjoy these new additions as we continue to improve our site!

Admin

Two thumbs up.

How about a political arena?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    How about a political arena?

Politics is a receipe for disaster. Politics and the Great Outdoors don't work.
    JOHN

Cant have one with out the other so am not really sure what you mean by that John. In my opinion if you don't care for the content, maybe you shouldn't open the page.....Truth is some changes need to be made. Not only in our great country but in our great state. The more ways we have to gather/pass on information outside of mainstream media, the better off everyone will be.

John nailed it. For those of you who came on board after our experiments with Religion and Politics forums, let me just say that it simply didn't work for this site.

We recognize that "religion", in all its various forms, intertwines everything we do. It's as much a part of us as is breathing. This even applies to the "non-religion" or "anti-religion" of some folks. It's a belief system based upon a variety of things, but it is a belief system. Discussions of those things becomes intensely personal and some of us simply cannot do it without causing offense (either deliberately or unintentionally). My personal belief is that discussions of that kind are essential. But because those discussions often result in personal attacks on individuals or on groups of people on this site, we have decided to prohibit it here. Having said that, of course there are a thousand ways to communicate what you believe about something, and that comes out in our forum posts. That cannot be helped, if we are going to post at all. We are prohibiting overtly religious posts (which includes the aforementioned "anti-religious" posts).

We also recognize the political threads that run through our outdoor activities. Our right to keep and bear arms, our right to hunt and fish on public lands, the way our regulations are determined, etc. These things are all politically connected. Even voting for certain candidates carries with it certain possibilities that could result in greater or lesser freedoms to enjoy the Alaska outdoors. We have attempted on several occasions to allow discussions of politics on these forums and every time it has gotten ugly between our members. I believe that politics, like religion, is intensely personal. I would even say that politics are an expression of our religious beliefs (or "non-religious" / "anti-religious" beliefs). It is really difficult to have discussions of that kind here without it resulting in fights and arguments.

Because both topics have always resulted in non-productive fighting on this site, we have elected to not allow those things here. To go back to our roots and remain focused on the Alaska outdoors. We realize that this is not a neat, clean picture. In some ways it's an amputation of an essential part of us. But in the interest of keeping the peace, we expect our members to have those discussions elsewhere. I have accepted the fact that there will always be disagreement over our decision in this matter, but that's the way it is here. We don't try to be too heavy-handed with our members and our rules are few. But we do expect everyone to be civil to each other, and though we have tried to do that in the context of "religion" and politics, it just has not worked for us.

You make a good point concerning the "if you don't like it, don't read it" argument. We have heard that one before. The problem with it is that many of our members use the "What's New" button at the top of the page (our most-visited page, by the way), and they see every religious and political post right there at the top. And it starts to grow and get ugly from there. It's too irresistible to avoid; folks just get sucked in to it, whether they really want to participate or not.

Thanks for understanding!

-Mike

BTW, let's not turn this thread into a commentary on our policy in this area, please.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There are six threads that have less than 10 post why don't you remove them to help clean up the site?

Wow. More forums. Is there 150 yet? Guess I'll just scroll down for days to get where I want to go. Sky's the limit. How 'bout a "fed up with the number of forums" forum?

Lemme do my research.. let's see how many threads are in the surfing forum.... wouldn't doubt the cruise forum will look a lot like the surfing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Wow. More forums. Is there 150 yet? Guess I'll just scroll down for days to get where I want to go. Sky's the limit. How 'bout a "fed up with the number of forums" forum?

Lemme do my research.. let's see how many threads are in the surfing forum.... wouldn't doubt the cruise forum will look a lot like the surfing forum.
    You are aware that you can collapse entire categories, right? You don't have to scroll through everything.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

THANKS!! No!! I didn't know that. I get so sick of having to scroll for days!! YES! I'll use the collapse, didn't know it was there...found it and will gladly use it...but there are still too many forums. Do we need forums with 10 threads?

Tim

How about an "On topic Q&A"..... "for serious questions and answers ONLY.

We have one on Georgia Outdoor News and it is very helpful.