Thread: Halibut harpoon

Question Halibut harpoon

I purchased one of those telescoping harpoons from Sportsmans Warehouse.Hoping someone can enlighten me on the size and type of rope that should be used?

I always used #550 test parachute cord and never had a problem. Take about a 15' length and attach the harpoon tip with a bowling knot at the other end tie a 6-8 inch loop (makes it easier to quickly attach the line to a cleat). By using 15' lengths you have enough line ensure the tip gets through the fish but its not so long that the fish can get a good run and snap the line. Another good idea is to cut small lengths of hose or tubing to cover the tips so they stay sharp and dont get bent over.

Default harpoon line

I have 2 harpoons with 15 ' of 1/4" 3 strand nylon. A small oblong buoy is atached about 6' from the harpoon. Most 3 strand nylon has about 25% stretch. That and the buoy absorbs alot of a big halibut's energy if he gets frisky after getting stuck. The 1/4" line works good for hauling them in the boat and the buoy will float them.

I use 5/16 nylon about 10' long, I had 294# halibut break my 1/4" nylon rope that was closer to 15' long (pulled the corner of the boat down a good foot while breaking) I am cleating them off, not using a bouy.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default knot

What's a bowling knot? Will a perfect bowling knot hold 300lbs? :-)

I have always used a bouy but have thought about attaching the rope to the cleat but was always concerned the fish would put so much pressure on the rope they would rip out the halibut tip.
    Has anyone ever experienced that?
    Cleat is a lot easier than tossing over and retriving a bouy thats for sure.
    Tennessee

Smile Bowline

He means a bowline.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Dave

I know what he ment. It was a feable attemt at humor. Ya know, 300 being a "perfect" game in bowling and a perfect "bowling knot" being able to hold 300lbs...
    By the way, I am going to Valdez later in the week. Would it be O.K. to P.M. you with some questions?

Default cleat/buoy

Even though I have the small buoy mid-way in the harpoon line I am still cleating off. That buoy just absorbs some off the shock. As soon as possible after sticking them I shoot them in the head and run a line through their gills then cleat that off.

Default snubbers

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Even though I have the small buoy mid-way in the harpoon line I am still cleating off. That buoy just absorbs some off the shock. As soon as possible after sticking them I shoot them in the head and run a line through their gills then cleat that off.
    I have added a couple of the rubber bungees to the line to act as snubbers, then cleat it off. I have never had the harpoon head pull free. The bouy probably does the same thing.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

One other thing I forget to mention is that I tied a 6" loop about 18" up from the harpoon tip. On a big fish I ran a piece of line through the loop and slipped the line around the fishes tail the pull the lineso the fish bends in a bow and tie it off when the fish is bowed it cannot flip around and is a lot easier to handle.

I use 5/16 nylon about 8' long.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've had a couple of big fish rip off cleated harpoon lines. Along the lines of Spoiled One, our regular line has a long bungee between two knots in the line. A 3' bungee with 6' of line between the knots to provide give, but still not depend entirely on the bungee.

Won't use that for big fish now, though. Instead we have a separate head and line attached to a buoy. Small expense and no bother. Simply use that instead when big fish are involved- basically anything over 150# or so.

We use heavier line than anyone else here talks about. It's 1/2" soft lay nylon. Lots easier on the hands when hauling big fish over the side.