Thread: Ship creek kings, leave your experinces

Exclamation Ship creek kings, leave your experinces

Allright so let me get started by saying we all inticipate the kings.... winters over, beautiful outside and so forth. Anyways- I would like to have this bulletin be a continous fishing report for Ship creek Only from the mouth to the cable. I want to know when you fished, what you fished with, what you saw/caught* hopefully, And any other experinces that made the day better or worse. I'm only fourteen years old, and dont have very much king fishing experince, although I suspect I'll be fishing ALOT more than I ever had before... fishing blood kicked in. A couple of questions I had, Where can I get corkies?/what tactics work the best?/and lastly can somone please upload an image of a SUCCESSFUL king lure setup for Ship creek?!?. Ill be fishing there this Wed. after school gets out...yay. Hopefully fish will be in with decent numbers by then. Thanks for reading, cant wait for the reports.

I used to fish there alot as a kid I'd always put on like 20 corkies and get hits all the time but never any hookups I now reckon they never knew which corkie to hit! I prefer chasing em with a long stick now in places a bit less muddy.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default kings

I used to fish there whenever I could get up the muster to stand with all the people. The earliest I ever caught one was may 23rd right at the mouth while the tide was coming in. I like it out there cus there is far less people, and fresh less weary fish. Muddy! Also the fish will normaly run out to the ocean once there hooked which makes em easier to land. The best advice is to put your time in day after day. Be there as much as possible, and your bound to be there when a good run comes in. Ive seen the whole shore lined with people, and almost everyone gets a king in the same 10 minutes. Good luck.

I plan on being there this wed, 2 hours b4 to 2 hours after high tide, hopefully there will be some fish there, Ill be fishing at the wire

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default fish finder

took the boat out of ship creek jsut to make sure that everything was working properly. putted up the creek a ways and picked a few up on the fishfinder. quite a few fisherman and a guy rowing a drift boat up the river mouth to fish the middle.

Was there again today. Saw about 4--5 people hook up, but not land, right below the restaurant (nothing huge, 10-15 lbs). 2 of the times the king immediately snapped the line and then raced around back and forth furiously. One beached himself and flopped around in the mud for a minute or so before flopping back in the water and taking off. I didn't see it, but I heard someone landed one right below the restaurant.

I got the sense that it's starting to pick up, so I'll definitely be back next weekend (if I can manage to keep myself away during the week...).

thanks alot for the info chvy, glad to hear it pickin up, ill try my luck wed, nice that i dont have to pay for a lisence or harvest card hehehe :P ... I could care less if i get one for the smoker, I love the enviorment, seeing people have fun, and the beautiful weather, too bad im sick at the moment... hopefully ill be better

ooh forgot to ask one thing.... is it legal to catch a beached salmon with your hands and keep it, aslong as you write it on your harvest card/king stamp and count it as your daily limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    ooh forgot to ask one thing.... is it legal to catch a beached salmon with your hands and keep it, aslong as you write it on your harvest card/king stamp and count it as your daily limit?
    Funny you should ask. On Saturday, some kid snagged a king up by the dam, messed it up pretty badly (apart from the snagging had his hands in the gills, etc.) and then let it go, at which point it floated downstream pretty lifelessly. I then watched a guy just below the restaurant try to revive it for about ten minutes before he gave up and killed it, gutted it, recorded it, and bagged it.

Don't know the legal answer, although I'm a lawyer and should probably figure it out :-)...

Wink not legal to catch kings by hand...

but if you just reeled your hook to your rod-tip and stuck it in the fish's mouth, then landed it by hand or with a net you would be legal.
    goofy but true, when i worked for F&G the question used to come up every once in a while when folks would find kings stranded on the flats at ninilchik or in front of the snag-hole in homer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

thanks for all the info, dont wana get fined anything, cant afford it at my age, anyways has anyone ever tried using a corky next to a vibrax? if so does it work? oh and another question, what kind of weird lures have you seen actually hook up at ship?

anybody see or get any action today? or in the past 3 days

bump~ comon people, upload any pictures , reports, videos, comments, techniques, anything

Default ship creek

Hey fishwacker you might be 14 and not need a license, but you still need a harvest card. You can pick them up at any place that sells licenses. By regs you still need to log any harvested King or trout over 20". Have fun, by the way, all of the Kings I've caught in Ship creek have been on orange #6 vibrex fished on an incoming tide real slow along the bottom. Tight lines.

Used to fish tere allot. But do to the crowd and the nasty nature of a few people down there, I decided to pass now. Also I have a boat, so why deal with the crowds.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last year was my first experience fishing Ship Creek. A fellow co-worker went with me and showed me how to do the flippin' method using a corky and yarn. After about a 100 casts I finally landed one but caught in the back. Knowing the rules I let it go and a cryin' shame...a beautiful, shiny silver one that weighed a modest 25-30 pounds. I've yet to pull a King out of Ship but there is always hope I reckon.

I went back when the Silvers came through and pulled a couple out. I was reminded there are "certain individuals" that came to Ship Creek who did not comprehend what it meant by respecting other people. Sadly, I experienced it on more than one occasion. Can't say I'm exactly thrilled about taking another shot at Ship this year but since it is just down the road from the house I might as well give it a whirl. The nice thing is I work rotating days, so I have off days during the middle of the week. That way I can plan out my trips when there shouldn't be very many people at the creek. Including those inconsiderate idgits that come in and jump right in front of you.

>sigh< At least I have two trips planned for the Kenai and Kasilof for June and July. Of course there is always the ever popular Eklutna to visit.

Default truly kind fisher peoples

last year there were those who were willing to help you and those who want you to leave them the hell alone. some times there would be people that I could tell haven't done this before (Flippin is my style) and so i would help them out you know give them a spot or two (not telling any secrets or any thing ) give them a rig i made some weights something that would be helpful. I remember this one guy who was only down at ship for 4 days and was absolutly clueless so i helped him out gave him a good set-up showed hism where to go who to avoid and what i knew and as he was leaving he says thanks for all the help i sure a glad that there are still people out here willing to help out a fisherman in need of help. that was one thing i will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky_Halibut View Post
    last year there were those who were willing to help you and those who want you to leave them the hell alone. some times there would be people that I could tell haven't done this before (Flippin is my style) and so i would help them out you know give them a spot or two (not telling any secrets or any thing ) give them a rig i made some weights something that would be helpful. I remember this one guy who was only down at ship for 4 days and was absolutly clueless so i helped him out gave him a good set-up showed hism where to go who to avoid and what i knew and as he was leaving he says thanks for all the help i sure a glad that there are still people out here willing to help out a fisherman in need of help. that was one thing i will never forget.
    That's been my experience so far. I'm new to Alaska and have been fishing Ship Creek a lot. Everyone so far has been at least friendly, and a few people have gone out of their way to show me techniques and places to fish.

When I was 12-13 years old, I went down to ship. It had been a long day, had not seen any fish even hit. Im standing on the mud, just tossing my spoon, and not paying attention. Suddenly I get a hit, pulls me off my feet, slide down the mud, and into the creek. Lost the fish, my rod, and my pride.

Next week, caught my first King Salmon in Ship Creek. Wonderful memories!