Thread: Help me pick a place to start a family!

Default Help me pick a place to start a family!

I moved up in January and rented in in the valley. I really don't love the area.
    My Fiancé is coming up in October and we need a place to live. We both grew up and have always lived in small towns ( under 1000 ppl)
    My only requirements are decent fishing and possibly some hunting.
    Her one requirement is a supermarket.
    What areas should we look at? I work up north and at the end of summer I will be on a 3x3 schedule. For now I'm stuck up north with no free time to explore!
    Thanks in advance for the ideas
    Kris

Delta Junction comes to mind... very friendly people... beautiful country! 974 inhabitants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Junction,_Alaska
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Default glenallen

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I moved up in January and rented in in the valley. I really don't love the area.
    There are a very many parts of the Valley that I don't like much either. But I love the area I live in. Every neighbor knows every other and has each other's phone #, & helps when needed, to irrigate (for those absent), plow when it snows and a neighbor's plow is busted or they're too new in the area to have bought one yet - and so on.

Maybe look at other parts of the valley.

But if exiting, take a look at Glenallen, on the Glenn Hwy between Palmer and Tok; it has everything you mentioned. And you can still sometimes drive to Anchorage to stock up at Sams/Costco, and still not be too far North to access the Kenai Peninsula.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd go down to SE, incredible fishing and many small town locations that have enough amenities.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Take a look at the Seward/Moose Pass area. Great people, great schools, lots to do for the outdoorsman.

Hope, AK. Way smaller than your max. Downside is that it is an hour from Sams Club or any supermarket of size. It has all else +++, and .... hard to say; go there and see for yourself.

Kasilof; great fishing, great schools, shopping, entertainment, hiking, boating, family camping etc. just a few miles away. Not wilderness but still rural feeling.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Glennallen is a neat town- great fishing, hunting not bad.. Downside- small knit community dont take well to outsiders, no "supermarkets", your future bride willleave you after two weeks of -30 weather,
    Delta jct- same as above
    fairbanks- to big for you
    I would consider talkeetna, willow, maybe sutton,

Willow, Caswell area might interest you. Land is still cheap, not a whole lot of people. There is a small Super Market 20 miles to the North and all your major stores 40 miles to the South (Wasilla).. Trails and fishing everywhere.
    JOHN

I would look at Southeast (Petersburg, Sitka, or Haines), Valdez, Moose Pass, or Seldovia (not sure on the supermarket there - probably not). Personally speaking, I would avoid Glennallen like the plague. Other than the Thai food wagon, I'm not sure why people settle there. If you like that area of the state, I'd point towards Kenny Lake or McCarthy. I'd way prefer Delta Junction over Glennallen.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Glennallen is a neat town- great fishing, hunting not bad.. Downside- small knit community dont take well to outsiders, no "supermarkets", your future bride willleave you after two weeks of -30 weather,
    Delta jct- same as above
    fairbanks- to big for you
    I would consider talkeetna, willow, maybe sutton,
    My girl loves winter. The coldest she has seen is only -36 though. That day she went outside and said she thought -36 would be colder! And the asked of I wanted to go for a walk! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Kasilof; great fishing, great schools, shopping, entertainment, hiking, boating, family camping etc. just a few miles away. Not wilderness but still rural feeling.
    I do plan on checking out Kasilof! After all I've owned a driftboat since I was 16!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would look at Southeast (Petersburg, Sitka, or Haines), Valdez, Moose Pass, or Seldovia (not sure on the supermarket there - probably not). Personally speaking, I would avoid Glennallen like the plague. Other than the Thai food wagon, I'm not sure why people settle there. If you like that area of the state, I'd point towards Kenny Lake or McCarthy. I'd way prefer Delta Junction over Glennallen.
    We're going to ride the ferry and spend a little time on all the towns down there too

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    or Seldovia (not sure on the supermarket there - probably not).
    One small grocery that closes in winter...prices are nearly double what Homer's are....and regular state ferry service likely ain't coming back anytime soon (if ever).
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg