Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanning damage

Default Tanning damage

I posted this last night in the Taxidermy section, several views and no comments so I am reposting here in hopes of gaining some input:
    I just received my skins from a well known tannery in Heyburn Idaho and I was excited about opening the box and seeing the results, it turned in to a major disappointment.

The otter is severly damaged, torn in MANY places-nearly in half, both cross foxes are damaged-one has a hole in the head where the skin from the lower jaw was protruding and was difficult to extract, the red fox has a large tear as does the lynx. Every skin damaged after the process which began with perfect skins. Other tears are evident.

I have had other animal skins tanned and all came back perfect, though they were all done by different tanneries.

I sent my skins off to the tannery in Idaho due to all of the good things I heard about them from others I know and from things I have read here on AOD. Is this typical of this tannery, is this typical tannery production, was I "just lucky" in the past?

I wanted taxidermy quality processing when I inquired over the phone and was told I would be better of with the other option (type name escapes me ATM), would that have reduced the chances of damage occuring?

What say you "in the know"?

Supporting Member

"Other" type of tanning may have been "garment tanning", which generally means the leather is thinner and more pliable when finished. I believe "taxidermy tanning" assumes the hide will be re-hydrated at some point during the mounting process and so results in a different finished product.
    Regardless of the type of tanning, I think you should expect to get your hides back intact and not extensively damaged. JMO for what it's worth.

I agree with spike, no one should ever receive hides or furs back from a tannery with extensive damage. i would call and tell the tannery that you used what happened and maybe they have an explanation? maybe the machine broke mid process? who knows, lots of things can happen. All being said, I'm sorry to hear about your hides. I take everything of mine to Larry Mcmurphy in palmer, i dont know what he does to tan, he may send them out, I'm not sure, anyways, i bring everything from my foxes to my big brownies to him to get tanned and i have never once seen an additional hole in the pelt. may be worth looking in to. best of luck in the future.

I'm sorry to hear about your skins, I recently got a coyote back from them and they did a great job on it. There were a few spots where the machine they use to thin the skin down looked like it almost went through, I'm wondering if they had a new kid running it the day yours went in. I choose to send mine to them based on the recommendations of a few trappers around here and reports that Alpha is not interested in taking in small animals. if there is a good local option I'd sure like to know about it but a few I've tried are just middle men who send them out to the big commercial guys anyhow.

I've had nothing but great results from Moyles for years. Have you called them? It's pretty easy to tell if the damage occurred before they received the shins or whether the guy running the fleshing machine made the cuts. Maybe they have new, inexperienced help, but that's still no excuse.

Well,this is how the compnay in Heyburn responded.

My first approach was to call them and explain my utter disappoinment in their processing of the skins I sent them and went on to describe the damage. The person I spoke with refered to my account for any notes and mentioned that it is procedure to note any issues or difficulties, she said there were no notes of any kind then proceeded to ask me questions and if I could email some photos. I said thatI would be happy to.

I send the photos to the email address provided and receive no response after a week. I made a second call to confirm receipt of the email and learn it was never received and was given an alternative address. I resent the photos and then receive an email asking that I take more photos, this time of the leather side instead.This request raised suspicion in my mind. As life would have it more pressing matters required my attention and I was unable to supply the second set of photos. Nearly a week later I receive a letter from the tannery.

"Dear Lawrence;

Thank you for bringing my attention (to) the problem with your order. **** is a commercial tannery, although we try our best to to avoid it, minor damage may occur.

These hides already had some issues before the tanning process even started. As was noted on your account, we make notes during the rehydration process so that we have records as to how the hides arrive. And yours did arrive with some holes and other issues.

Enclosed please find a gift certificate for future tanning.

For future reference please remember that all tanning is done at the owner's risk, skins accepted on this basis only.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
    Office manager "

Included was a certificate for a whopping $25.00 against $1,000.00 I invested in those furs.

Now I am just flat disgusted that they would flat out lie to me about about there being notes made along the way pertaining to pre-extisting issues with the skins and then the fact that were issues at all. I inspected these furs before I purchased them and then again before I shipped them off to the tannery. Then to add insult to injury they give me a $25certificate toward future tanning, as if I would send them anymore business after being lied to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lynx1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	72892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xfox3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	72891

More pics:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lynx3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	72894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lynx2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	72893

Name:	otter1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	72896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter2.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	72895

Name:	otter4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	72897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	72898

Name:	otter5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	72901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter6.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	72902

Name:	otter8.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	72903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	72904 Yes, that is 8 photos of damage done to the same single otter fur. It is a wonder I got any of the otter back at all.

Name:	redfox2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	72905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redfox1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	72906

Name:	xfox2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	72907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xfox1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	72908

I understand and accept the risk of the tanning process, but to have all of the furs returned suffering from damage, some of it severe, and being lied to and insulted on top of that is unacceptable.

Wow, that's really disappointing and not consistent with their work on mine and others hides that I've seen. I'd sure be upset too.

looks like the boss pissed off the low man on the totem pole at the tannery. That really sucks for your hides, hopefully you will be able to salvage something out of your otter and make some nice mittens or something.

Man, that looks like alot of damage. My first thought was that maybe there was slippage or holes already there, but hard to believe a person as experienced with a knife as 338 would seem to be could cause that much damage. I've recommended Moyles any chance I get as I've always had great results, but looks like they have their lumps sometimes too. I understand how it must be to see all that hard work come back looking like that...

When I started reading this thread I wasn't sure what to expect but those pictures really explain the damage and make it clear something went way wrong at the tannery. I have used Moyles in the past and had nothing but good experiences with them. I sure hope this was one of those rare occasions that something goes wrong at their tannery.

Sorry to see your skins damaged and hope you have better luck with the next tanning experience.

Supporting Member

While it won't restore your current furs, you might want to try www.fursforfun.com in Rupert, ID. Hector has done a great job with my furs for the past 8 years and he gives members of the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association (www.akfrontiertrappers.com) wholesale tanning prices. We (AFTA members) pay $5.50 for mink and marten, $16 for fox, $18 for coyote, $20 for lynx and $35 for wolf, just to name a few. Also guarantees you get your own fur back!

make a thorough youtube video detailing this entire shty exchange with the tannery. Then, email a link of the video to every major taxidermist, every major trapping association and every email to the tannery you have on hand.

Title the video "m......... tannery"

see what kind of response you get then. One of those...you want to disingenuously insult me? well how about this?........(from mild to wild).

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    While it won't restore your current furs, you might want to try www.fursforfun.com in Rupert, ID. Hector has done a great job with my furs for the past 8 years and he gives members of the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association (www.akfrontiertrappers.com) wholesale tanning prices. We (AFTA members) pay $5.50 for mink and marten, $16 for fox, $18 for coyote, $20 for lynx and $35 for wolf, just to name a few. Also guarantees you get your own fur back!
    +1 for Furs For Fun. I just got back a dozen cats and a few foxes the other day and couldn't be happier. Sorry about your luck with the other guys..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast