Thread: Seward charter 8/3.....reschedule???

Default Seward charter 8/3.....reschedule???

I've got some family coming into town this week and we scheduled a combo trip out of Seward on Saturday 8/3. I'm looking at the NOAA marine forecast and right now it's calling for 2 foot seas in the bay and 11' SE at cape suckling to gore point. I've never fished out of Seward, not sure if I should try re schedule now or just wait and see. Maybe there's enough good fishing within the bay right now...not sure... We are scheduled to be fishing out of a 33' 6 pack with J Dock charters. Thanks in adavance. BTW they will only be in town for one week 8/1-8/8.

I never trust the forecast several days out, make your decision the day before. Seward typically has larger rollers as you exit the bay and either a morning or evening breeze that kicks up a decent chop at the head of the bay. If the rollers are spaced far apart they are no big deal, I've had times all I see is water when I'm in the trough, but no big deal. It's high winds and steep stuff you need to be concerned with. Cape Suckling to Gore Point is full exposed to the Gulf and more often than not the forecast shows for some pretty big water.

That said, it sounds like the silvers are making their way into the bay and you should be able to catch a decent amount of fish inside the bay. If you're primary target is halibut then you might want to consider a re-schedule but odds of getting on a good boat at the last minute are pretty slim.

I really enjoy fishing out of Seward, you should have a good trip. I'd say unless the charter calls it off, go for it. I would suggest if any of your guests are prone to sea sickness, make sure they take something before heading out. If the boat is being swayed by rollers and you have low clouds so you can't make out the shore, even the hardiest will be feeling queesy.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'd be surprised if they would let you change or reschedule a couple of days out. But if you do get blown off I'm sure they will work hard to get you out another day. I went out with them last year on the seaventure, had an absolute blast, office was very helpful as well. Good luck!

Thanks guys, I'll just hope for the best as the weather forecast is pretty unreliable at this point. I'll be on the sea venture as well, looks like a nice boat.

Well, the forecast turned out to be quite accurate. We ended up canceling at the last minute even though the boat still went out ( it came right back after only an hour in the bay). We booked a butt charter out of anchor point with fishin fool charters. Came home with 67 lbs of meat between two of us. Nice boat and knowledgeable captain. Last night sautéed some halibut cheeks in lemon butter with garlic and had them with an Alaskan IPA, so yeah everything turned out okay.

man that sounds like a good meal !