Thread: Thunderbolts

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Thunderbolts

I have the POWER to hold them in my hands, and to light them off.

This, I shall do, and I anticipate an awesome, and delightful experience.

How could I resist? Thar they war laying on the gun counter at SW. "Are these for sale? How much?" (suspiciously) $26.00, actually, $25.99. For 500 of these storm makers.

I would prefer CCI Blazers. Rem. Is my last choice, but these should help tide me over til they are available again.

I seen many other types of ammo, but no primers. I hope things get back to normal soon.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I too walked in to SW about a week ago and much to my surprise there was a fellow pushing around a shopping cart with a few items in it. One was a brick of Thunderbolts. I immediately went to the gun counter where a clerk was stacking bricks of Thunderbolts on the counter. I snatched one and ran to the checkout before I could be waylaid by some desperado willing to hijack me for my precious brick of 22 ammo. Now, there is a bit more to this story. A few months ago my wife bought me an Obama assualt pistol for valentines day. Many of you may not be familiar with this particular assualt weapon so I suppose I could give you it's real name. It's a Stevens No. 41 Tip Up one shooter with the 6" barrel in the very powerful 22LR cartridge. Because this particular one was built in about 1890, I was reluctant to shoot the extremely powerful Hi Speed ammo in it and have been searching for some std velocity ammo for my new assualt weapon. I bought the Thunderbolt ammo in hopes that it being the less expensive bulk ammo, it may be loaded somewhat lighter. Std velocity 22 ammo is very rare stuff right now. After trying one and inspecting the fired case it appears that I am in luck and it is loaded to a somewhat lower pressure. Anyway Smitty, I have an unopened brick of CCI Blazer that I would be happy to swap for your brick of Thunderbolt if you can stand being taken advantage of like that. By the way this Obama assualt pistol is just plain awesome. If you don't fumble ammo too much, you can get off 6 or 7 rounds per minute. And no, it's not for sale as this much firepower just should not be turned loose to just anyone. Oh, btw, my wife is a keeper too.

It's too bad it's the only ammo they can get, my experience has been it's filthy and you'll have several failures to fire. But, it's better than nothing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Must not have been the anchorage SW. I was in there yesterday and didn't see any .22 lr

rbuck351:

OK, I'll swap. I dunno your schedule, but I can PM you my ding-wong number.

Soons I git my Ruger Mk III back fm Andy tonight, (He took the sharp edges off.) I was plannin on shooting it a lot. Also, a Marlin mdl 60, 22 auto. I would shoot these, and save my Blazers. Shooting Blazers would be better.

They don't jam in my auto pistols.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2079 View Post
    Must not have been the anchorage SW. I was in there yesterday and didn't see any .22 lr
    Wasila SW, and there was only one other.

Still, it's a good sign.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah, PM me your number and we can set up an exchange time. Or you can call me at 688 3849 anytime after Thursday. The wife and I usually make at least a couple of runs to Wasilla on my week off. I have two of the old MKI T Rugers, one of which probably has 20,000 rounds through it. I can't remember it ever jamming with any ammo. And yeah PaulH is right , it is Rems cheapist stuff, but that works to my advantage in that they apparently load it with a slower powder or less powder which takes some of the strain off my antique Stevens. I plan on using this as my grouse gun as it is very light (about 10oz) and shoots pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    rbuck351:

OK, I'll swap. I dunno your schedule, but I can PM you my ding-wong number.

Soons I git my Ruger Mk III back fm Andy tonight, (He took the sharp edges off.) I was plannin on shooting it a lot. Also, a Marlin mdl 60, 22 auto. I would shoot these, and save my Blazers. Shooting Blazers would be better.

They don't jam in my auto pistols.

SOTN
    I (we) just shot about 200 rds of thunderboolt 22s through a Marlin Model 60. Had 3 duds and 2 stovepipes. Yeah, the gun is really dirty lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah, PM me your number and we can set up an exchange time. Or you can call me at 688 3849 anytime after Thursday. The wife and I usually make at least a couple of runs to Wasilla on my week off. I have two of the old MKI T Rugers, one of which probably has 20,000 rounds through it. I can't remember it ever jamming with any ammo. And yeah PaulH is right , it is Rems cheapist stuff, but that works to my advantage in that they apparently load it with a slower powder or less powder which takes some of the strain off my antique Stevens. I plan on using this as my grouse gun as it is very light (about 10oz) and shoots pretty good.
    Did somebody grouse????

I'm taking my son after ptarmigans at Tangle lake on opening day.

FL2AK
    Wow, that's harsh. This particular grouse gun is just for the ones that have feet that fit a limb. Although ... I suppose.....in an emergency

Oh, btw, my wife is a keeper too.
    I'll trade you 2 400 round bricks of American Eagle 22lr for your wife. I'll pay the shipping on the ammo!!
    :-)
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

FL2AK
    Wow, that's harsh. This particular grouse gun is just for the ones that have feet that fit a limb. Although ... I suppose.....in an emergency
    LOL typo. What I meant to say was "Did somebody SAY grouse?" Sorry.

0K, Maybe, bring that assault weapon along. I'd like to take a gander at it, OR just post a picture.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

nothing like handling a .22 lever action, then having the owner pull out official documentation describing it's authenticity......as Annie Oakley's gun. I can't wait to shoot this. she sure did some work to her trigger, and the sights were as precise as I've ever seen. That woman knew what she was doing judging by what was done to modify the gun, she knew what a good trigger meant.......... might bring some thunderbolts along since you guys claim it to be gentler stuff, I may give the guy some of it too.

I saw on another forum yesterday that there's a recall notice for a couple batches of thunderbolts. I didn't follow up on the accuracy of the report. If I run across that thread again, I'll repost the notice here.

I hope those T-bolts work in your MkIII Smitty. I can't go through a single mag in my MKII without a jamb. Good thing a buddy gave me some Blazers, but they'll be gone soon
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You might want to keep an eye on SWH. The Wife and I were able to pick up some CCI ($7.99) and a cute wooden box of 500 Winchester in the Salem, OR store.

We each had a box of the Win. ($31.99) but she handed her's to a young couple that didn't get any.

I saw on another forum yesterday that there's a recall notice for a couple batches of thunderbolts. I didn't follow up on the accuracy of the report. If I run across that thread again, I'll repost the notice here.
    http://www.remington.com/en/pages/ne...underbolt.aspx
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I saw a man and woman together at SW yesterday with 3 boxes each in their hands. I siad wow haven't seen those in a year or more, but how much are they? His response was "who cares how much they cost?" That's why ammo prices will never again go down.

OK,
    I'll check it.
    Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.