Thread: Kodiak Ferry

Default Kodiak Ferry

I am planning a Kodiak hunt off the south road system. Is it possible to access the south road system by taking a ferry boat and what are the details? I've never been there. Thank you!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

The road that heads out of town takes you thru the south road system area. It will take you to chiniak or pashaghack (spell I know ). It's just the normal paved two laner!! Are you coming for goat? From the road a lot of country available to hike. Some side trails doable with four wheeler. You can boat the area starting from town but its just coast line not so much in the way of small water ways.

Ditto what taildragger said. Theres far less trails on the south than on the north part of the road system. Also keep in mind theres a lot of private native land that is permit-access only.

What are going to hunt? Goats are plentiful if your fortunate to win a tag. Deer are everywhere up high but you cna only take one buck from the road sys.

Thank you, Taildragger and H20! I appreciate your comments. I will look in to the private land situation. Yes I a goat permit. Hope I'm up to it. Haven't hunted the mountains for sheep in 14 years. I need to figure out a couple of entrance points off the road. Google is helpful but not sure what I am looking at. Will be hunting from a truck w/truck camper and hiking up. Any info on the ferry or the ferry company. I need to contact them too. Thanks!!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...vice-postponed

The Trusty Tusty is down, and will not be back up for a while. I noted this when trying to schedule a visit to Seldovia. The schedule truly sucked, and I wondered why...........

"Grin and Bear It"

Theres always goats down near Pasagshak, but the hike up isnt fun whatsoever. Very overgrown, steep and always a few big bears around too. Sometimes you can see the goats while just driving down the road. Most of the private land is on the east side of the highway, but I think you can get access for a daily rate. I would stop into ADF&G once you got to the island to be sure.

According to the Homer Tribune the Tusty is down indefinitly. The Kennicott is to be rescheduled for the month of Sept. . Call 907-465-3941 or toll free 800-642-0066 for more info and updates.