Thread: Fed. Fusion ammo problem today

Default Fed. Fusion ammo problem today

Took my 300 wsm to the range. Sight in check. Had 3 rounds of Fed fusion ammo from over a year ago, and then a new box of the same, bought this past winter/spring some time.
    Check this pic:

The 3 on the left are the old box, on the right is the new ammo. 2 of the primers completely came out and the 3rd leaked gas. I'm assuming this is an ammo problem. I have another box of fusion ammo purchased at the same time and place as the one blowing primers. Somewhat reluctant to try any more. The bolt was hard to open after each shot..............like the ammo is on the HOT side.
    Bought another box of different 300wsm today but likely won't get to the range till next week.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Check the inside flap on the box of ammo you shot the 3 rounds out of that had primer problems. It should have a lot number stamped in ink or embossed on the box. Sometimes it on the back of the box. Then check your second box for the same number. These are lot numbers and if they are the same they were loaded alike. I wouldn't shoot any more ammo out of your first lot. GOOD LUCK....!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Something is definitely unright. I'd get hold of Federal ASAP and link them to that photo.

I don't think it's a primer issue, I think it's a dangerously over-powered cartridge issue. check for ammo recalls on the federal sight. someone else had your exact same issue in 300 wsm:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-out-of-casing

Buy a 30/06 and give up on the "Wizzz-bang" Belch-fire Wonder cartridges.

Not that unusual unfortunately!

I've had a box of .300WSM Federal Premium that were certainly on the hot side, something like 5 years ago. Cratered primers and (of all things) a stuck case.

A friend of mine also used Federal in a different cartridge and had his bolt lock up hunting caribou last year. Bad deal!

Federal is typically excellent ammo but you apparently get a hot box now and again...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

How do the cartridge weights compare? I would be curious to enough to pull a couple bullets from each and weigh the charges.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

WSM FLs are loaded hotter than other cartridges.

Their MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) is higher so they can achieve the claimed performance.

This has always been a problem with them. It's good you weren't hurt.

Was it a HOT DAY? Were the cartridges HOT when you fired them?

That can make a huge difference in pressure.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had a couple boxes of Federal 30-06 that were loaded on the hot side - couldn't extract from chamber and primers were flattened out. Same thing on a warm or cool day. It was about 10 years ago, but Federal sent me a refund check.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

How do you contact Federal?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How do you contact Federal?
    Here ya go.

Thanks for the tip on the lot #s Brav. Turns out I have 4 boxes all with different lot #s. Narrowed the offending lot to one of 2 boxes so I guess I have to shoot one more to see which one.
    Thanks for the link BBear.

When possible I tend to buy 3-4 or more boxes of the same LOT # ammo; that way it's loaded the same and tends to have the same performance and POI. In your case it may be a good thing you couldn't get 4 boxes of the offending ammo; at least you still have ammo to shoot. GOOD LUCK !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Wow, that's serious over pressure. Where did the primers go? Seems like the bolt face should have held it in the case head/primer pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Wow, that's serious over pressure. Where did the primers go? Seems like the bolt face should have held it in the case head/primer pocket...
    When the bolt was opened and the case moved, the primer dropped onto the carrier. I picked it out or turned the gun over.
    Was at the range last week and got it figured which box it is. Still need to contact Fed and let them know.
    FYI................the lot number is:V15X713

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Was at the range last week and got it figured which box it is. Still need to contact Fed and let them know.
    FYI................the lot number is:V15X713
    I've seen some other people reloads go pretty crazy but I've never seen factory ammo chunk the primers like that. Call soon, save someones hand, eye, face from damage.

link to warranty information and phone number:

http://www.federalpremium.com/downlo...l_Warranty.pdf