Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish and Game Meeting at Jack Hernandez Hatchery August 1st 6:30 PM

Default Fish and Game Meeting at Jack Hernandez Hatchery August 1st 6:30 PM

There is a public meeting to address concerns of low king returns to the Kenai river and the mis-management of the personal
    use dip net fishery this year. Any sport fisherman of upper cook inlet, please tell your friends and attend. Hopefully enough people show up to voice their concerns. 6:30 pm Aug 1st at the Jack Hernandez Hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by ValcoBayrunner View Post
    There is a public meeting to address concerns of low king returns to the Kenai river and the mis-management of the personal
    use dip net fishery this year. Any sport fisherman of upper cook inlet, please tell your friends and attend. Hopefully enough people show up to voice their concerns. 6:30 pm Aug 1st at the Jack Hernandez Hatchery.
    Thats kind of short notice. When did they announce this?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

They really didn't.....there is a group of people that are having email and phone correspondence with the dept and the governor which forced them to set up this meeting short notice. I think hey know they are going to get reemed so no public announcement on forums or in the newspaper.

AOJ is also reporting this meeting. Should be quite interesting and lively.

Quote Originally Posted by burdman30ott6 View Post
    AOJ is also reporting this meeting. Should be quite interesting and lively.
    From what I've heard, the guides are not happy at all. For as many Sockeyes that came up into the inlet, the fishing in the Kenai was pretty poor save for a handful of days...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Where is the meeting? How did you find the info about this?

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    From what I've heard, the guides are not happy at all. For as many Sockeyes that came up into the inlet, the fishing in the Kenai was pretty poor save for a handful of days...
    It was hot for the first week then seemed to really dry up. We swung through bings the other day just for a peek and saw very few fish on the bank. I would have expected to see lots of limits.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    It was hot for the first week then seemed to really dry up. We swung through bings the other day just for a peek and saw very few fish on the bank. I would have expected to see lots of limits.
    I wouldn't even call it a week. More like 3 days and then donezo.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I wouldn't even call it a week. More like 3 days and then donezo.
    I dunno man. I rolled hard starting the 15th all the way through sunday. My buddies dad is a C&R dude from back east and caught dozens. Either way it wasn't nearly as good as last year for as long.

Either way it wasn't nearly as good as last year for as long.
    That's the point I'm trying to make. There were TONS of fish being caught by the comm guys and after the initial surge the fishing went to hell in the river. Complete Bullcrap. It was one E.O extension after another. Disappointing to say the least.

That's the point I'm trying to make. There were TONS of fish being caught by the comm guys and after the initial surge the fishing went to hell in the river. Complete Bullcrap. It was one E.O extension after another. Disappointing to say the least.
    Yeah the E.O's got pretty out of hand. That and the "special" corridor opening in the kasilof. It seemed like everyday was and E.O. for another opening.

You have no clue as to what was going on. The Kasilof was over escaped because of the ESSN's being shut down to save kings that were not there, then ADF&G had to try to save face and say they tried to harvest Kasilof reds most of us drifters would not even fish the terminal area. The corridor is a joke, and is to save the valley silvers that were not between Kalgin Island and the Kenai River where we should have been fishing just like last year. Then ADF&G was told where the silver were staging at and put the whole fleet on them, they blew it this year big time playing politics. Try to be more informed before pointing fingers. Thanks!
    Yeah the E.O's got pretty out of hand. That and the "special" corridor opening in the kasilof. It seemed like everyday was and E.O. for another opening.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    You have no clue as to what was going on. The Kasilof was over escaped because of the ESSN's being shut down to save kings that were not there, then ADF&G had to try to save face and say they tried to harvest Kasilof reds most of us drifters would not even fish the terminal area. The corridor is a joke, and is to save the valley silvers that were not between Kalgin Island and the Kenai River where we should have been fishing just like last year. Then ADF&G was told where the silver were staging at and put the whole fleet on them, they blew it this year big time playing politics. Try to be more informed before pointing fingers. Thanks!
    Thanks ADFG are losers, hope they didn't kill all the Coho! Think its time for a Kattie John type action as they are certainly not managing for the people of Alaska!

Soo....did anyone go?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Soo....did anyone go?
    I did. Basically it was a sports fisherman blaming setnetters for the problem meeting. Things did get heated for a little bit but then testimony continued. Best thing I heard was form an older native man from the Alaska Native Federation asking all ( sport and commercial) if it was smart to continue arguing amongst themselves or if it it would be wise to pull together and fight the biggest problem of all. Bottom fishing and trawlers! Also would like to mention that Les Gara and Bill W. were the only legislator to show up and that I sensed that neither Sean Parnell or the fat cats at Fish and Feathers were in any shape or form some one we can trust. Of course I already knew that though!

Or you could calm down. Im merely pointing out what I see. Anyone with internet connection can go and look up all the extra comm fleet openers. I know I havent been here a life time but its more than I have ever seen as well as others that have been here a long time. I'm not trying to start a pissing match but over 80 hrs of extra fishing time seems like a lot to me.

Not when they are not letting you fish whee the fish are! I can tell that you have not been around here long. That 80 hours extra fishing time is like 80 days of extra logging on Adak. If you are not trying to start a pissing match be more informed. Thanks, but you need to look deeper and be better informed. I am calm. Thanks for what you do.
    Or you could calm down. Im merely pointing out what I see. Anyone with internet connection can go and look up all the extra comm fleet openers. I know I havent been here a life time but its more than I have ever seen as well as others that have been here a long time. I'm not trying to start a pissing match but over 80 hrs of extra fishing time seems like a lot to me.

Default Council meeting last night

I too attended that meeting of the advisory council last night and there were some passionate people there about their love of sport fishing and opportunities for their future generations. Several alaskans have quit fishing kings on the kenai and said they would stop fishing just to keep the Kenai King from disappearing. But the commercial guys said they would NOT even consider doing this. Sport fisherman only harvest less than 1% of the total fish being taken. AK Fish and Game has lowered the escapement goals and have been for years. how can "science" compensate for environmental issues and flooding of rivers during the fall ? Commerical boats and beach set netters were allowed to fish via EO time and time again. There was NO OVER ESCAPEMENT, how could they let the limit go to 6 fish by July 19th ? They admitted the DITSON sonar counter is not accurate and they use test nets and guess how many fish came by. science ? I think not. There were less "concerned" people at that meeting last night than I saw of non-resident people fishing the upper Kenai for sockeye on a Wed afternoon. The council said there were more people there at that meeting than ever before which I was disappointed. The commercial guys said salmon come to the kenai in spurts, if you didnt come down to fish on Tues or Wed, too bad for you dip-netters. The commerical industry is well organized and has lobbyist and commercial board member on the fisheries board that are appointed by you know who ? our Governor Parnell. The gentleman from the AK Outdoor Council needs everyone that dipnets and sportfishes and runs a lodge, or guides, or sell boats, or fishing tackle to join up and fun a person to represent us the Alaskan's that these resources belong to, not out of state commercial fisherman. The same thing is happening to the kings out on the Nushagak river. My good friend who went to the fishery board meetings to stand up against the commercial fisherman didnt have ANY support from a single guide or lodge from that region last year. So are all you folks going to take this punch and LAY DOWN? ....call your senators and congressman, call and tell them the high seas "federally managed" fisheries with their drag nets are killing ALL of AK king runs and silvers are being blocked from making it up north to the valley fisheries. The state of AK should be suing these companies, but lobbyist got PAID to "influence" the politician to do nothing. Fish and Game cant and wont do anything about the pollock industry. We Alaskans, business included need to unite and take the day off, or lunch hour and be at those fish and game board advisory meetings this Feb. If you wont, then dont cry next year when there arent any fish to go around. I would rather pay $20 for a sport fishing lobbyist than waste it on a King Stamp? What did that stamp do ? We had a young man last night that spoke out very well about the mismanagement of the fishery and he has only been here 3 years. The 30 year river fishing guys here know what should be seen in these rivers. Fish and Game mismanagement is the problem and some people need to be fired and replaced. That's the once thing everyone did agree on last night. Tell your Governor who you will NOT be voting for next year. Remember that guy that Senator Lisa Murkowski had as a consultant that went to jail for lying about his commerical fishing and did jail time, well he's now a lobbyist for the commercial fishing industry. Come to the meetings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of you read Alaskaoutdoorjournal.com and KK has posted info from last night. We need ballot level signatures started to get organized.

Val , you need to do some fact checking. Stop the misinformation it will not help fix the problems we are having. Penney is a bigger problem.

Val , you need to do some fact checking. Stop the misinformation it will not help fix the problems we are having. Penney is a bigger problem.
    I think it is a problem on both sides. I stated at the meeting that the water I live on ( Alexander) was devastated by sport fishing, especially Euros and out of state guides. It wasn't commercial or Pike it was 100% over fished in the river. That being said I also believe that commercial fishing in the seas is the biggest problem ( bottom trawling). Some times I think the set netters should think more about the resources and some times it is the sport fisher who should do the same. I wouldn't fish the Kenai to save my soul, even if there was enough fish. It's nothing but a zoo anyway!
    By the way MGH55, You gonna save me some fish if I don 't get any returns this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast