Thread: Fishing Valdez

Default Fishing Valdez

Need some help for fishing around Valdez...planning my first trip down there and would like to look around and fish for something other than pinks...any help will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

Robe River for sure. Fish some cotton candies and other flesh flies and you can really hammer the dollies. It's really small water, like like 7-10 yards across at most, so bring a shorter rod if you have one. If you take the dirt road by the baseball diamonds and take the tiny road to the left with the Robe River fishing regs sign it'll lead you down a good ways towards the confluence of the Lowe and the Robe. The rode terminates at the Lowe, then follow the tiny trail along the Lowe to the confluence. You'll know it when the crystal clear water of the Robe starts flowing into the super glaciated Lowe. Make plenty of noise while you're fishing though, I had a moose walk down the creek on me last time I was there and had to bail out of the river pretty quickly.

Thanks Seabass....Yes Sir the noise is a must for many reasons...again thanks for the tip.

Default Valdez fly fishing

Quote Originally Posted by NewMexican007 View Post
    Need some help for fishing around Valdez...planning my first trip down there and would like to look around and fish for something other than pinks...any help will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!
    Ok, the fly fishing is outstanding in Valdez at this time...Dollies are stacking up and fleshy eggs or small #10 egg patterns work. If ya can find the clear water you will be into fish on the Robe. You can start at the highway crossing, the cemetery are the lower river, it will be great. Now don't be surprised if ya find a silver in the lower river as they could show up any day in the lower river, anything Black, rabbit strips, sex dungeons, etc..If ya can find me and your into dolly fishing i'll go with ya if i can...
    The hint to walk up river is a great hint, find the clear water confluence, i haven't cut the trail in this year due to last years none compliance with fly fishing yet there is a way in...

If you do fish the robe please treat it with respect. this is a very small and vulnerable system. It has been sad to see it go from a mostly unknown and unmolested beauty into an "every redneck for himself snag fest" in just a couple years. Please pack out your trash, stay off the riparian zone, read the regs and be nice to the bears.

Default Robe River

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    If you do fish the robe please treat it with respect. this is a very small and vulnerable system. It has been sad to see it go from a mostly unknown and unmolested beauty into an "every redneck for himself snag fest" in just a couple years. Please pack out your trash, stay off the riparian zone, read the regs and be nice to the bears.
    I agree with you 100 %, i've fished this river for over thirty years, and it can be a jewel. Yet sometimes it get's mistreated, and abused. Please rememember this is a small stream, that can easily be distructed.. an oh yea, i'm sorry if that was anyone dressed in big brown furry suits, that i pepper sprayed Saturday, tell your twin that two is two many and i was looking for more..Please, don't be so aggressive in the future, Give me time and you can fish your hole of your choice, but ya got to give me a chance to move. Anyone fishing this stream, be aware of close in counters with the big brown kind...
    Please respect our waters and play safely.

Reps added.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    +1. Good post and thanks for adding it.