Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 person backpacking tent

Default 1 person backpacking tent

I am considering the eureka solitaire. Due to weight and price what are your thoughts? Should I move up to a bigger tent to be more comfortable. My only means of hunting is walking with a pack so nothing big. Thanks for your opinions and my budget is $200.

Given your budget I'd say you'd be hard pressed to beat this for the space and weight.

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

get a lightweight 2-man tent with full-length rainfly, aluminum poles, D-style side-entry doors, and 2 vestibules if possible...plenty on the market like this for around $200 and 6 pounds or so....think REI, Kelty, Eureka, North Face, etc...shop for closeouts. I personally wouldn't buy the one you're looking at.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    get a lightweight 2-man tent with full-length rainfly, aluminum poles, D-style side-entry doors, and 2 vestibules if possible...plenty on the market like this for around $200 and 6 pounds or so....think REI, Kelty, Eureka, North Face, etc...shop for closeouts. I personally wouldn't buy the one you're looking at.
    But 6 lbs is too much for long distance backpacking trips when you also have to pack all your other gear, game, ect. I think hes looking for something in the 3 to 4 lb range

Go with Kelty Grand Mesa Two or Marmot Trail Lite2. The Grand Mesa is about buck and a half and weighs 4lbs with change. The Marmot Trail lite is 5 lbs but is very bomber and you could weather out a pretty decent storm if you had the guy lines set up.

Eureka, unless you are looking at the hicamp is marked up 65% over cost. This means that a Solitaire costs roughly $40 and they are charging you 100.00.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Go with Kelty Grand Mesa Two or Marmot Trail Lite2. The Grand Mesa is about buck and a half and weighs 4lbs with change. The Marmot Trail lite is 5 lbs but is very bomber and you could weather out a pretty decent storm if you had the guy lines set up.

Eureka, unless you are looking at the hicamp is marked up 65% over cost. This means that a Solitaire costs roughly $40 and they are charging you 100.00.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    I love the little marmot tents.. Ive used my little marmot hardshell for darn near 20 years and have thousands of hours in it in sheep country... its been in 100plus winds,snow storms and you name it and it still holding strong and heading back out next week.. Its cozy but works great and sets up in tight little places which is really nice in sheep country...

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I am considering the eureka solitaire. Due to weight and price what are your thoughts? Should I move up to a bigger tent to be more comfortable. My only means of hunting is walking with a pack so nothing big. Thanks for your opinions and my budget is $200.
    You might as well drive that brand new durango up and down the denali hwy... You should of bought a wheeler instead of that pimp ride you have now...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You might as well drive that brand new durango up and down the denali hwy... You should of bought a wheeler instead of that pimp ride you have now...
    I thought you could drive me around and shoot my caribou for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Thats a little off topic for this thread 323

I'd recommend a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It is only about 2.5 lbs. It has plenty of space for one guy. I have a UL3 and it is great for 2 guys.

It has a retail more than $200 but you can usually find them for about $200 on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Any personal experience with the kelty?

No personal experience but my side job involves pimping tents. Poor Righteous Teacher salary doesn't cut it for getting enough gear for the rest of my life.(my retirement is not eminent but its on the horizon) However, I have set up enough of them that I am very confident that they are a barebones sheep tent. It has everything you need without extras. The Marmot trail lite2 or lime light2 is better albeit heavier. The Big Agnes FlycreekUL2 is getting the green light over the Bibler Eldorado this year for me personally. BA tents are very light and are workable if you guy them out. The Fly Creek UL2 not rock bomber or the hilton for space but dang that little tent does a lot of things and weighs hardly anything.

The Eureka Timberline tent is decent as is the high camp but I would look elsewhere from Eureka for tents. Fiberglass poles and lack of seam sealing. The markup margin on Eureka tents is kind of scary.

Black Diamond light tents are also good options.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I need something hardcore, like a tarp bag that zips up, maybe weighing only a pound, anything out there?

Hilleberg Soulo at four lbs or Atko1 at three lbs is pretty darned tough. Both are spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    I need something hardcore, like a tarp bag that zips up, maybe weighing only a pound, anything out there?
    Kind of sounds like a bodybag...

Barber, I have a Kelty, forget the name, but the same design as the others. NOT free standing, one loop at the front, smaller loop at the toe, PLENTY of room, I used it for my winter camping tent in the Blue Ridge mountains, and I took it on my 100 Mile Wilderness trip through Maine; for summer either a tarp (Bear Paws) or tarp tent (Rainbow II) I prefer the rainbow for a few reasons, weight, bug netting, warmth, size, etc...

When I lived in AK, I had a bivy, super light HATED it, the problem is NO ROOM, so to get dressed, you get out of the warm bag and have to exit the tent and get dressed, I prefer to stay inside and dress. Plus, in bad weather, you're stuck, pretty much no option to move other than roll over. With my tents, you can sit up and they have a small vestible for storing boots and making coffee.
    anyway, I don't hike and camp like I used to and the Kelty is not getting used, Send me your address, I'll send you the tent, use it, try it, if you like it buy it, of not send it back, fair enough?

doughNut

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Haha yep pretty much, a lot of my one day solo hunts have turned into unexpected overnight trips and it would be nice to have something like this rather than staying up all night trying to stoke a fire for 12 hours in october if you know where im coming from, zaps the energy for the continued hike out at first light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Kind of sounds like a bodybag...
    I have a bodybag I picked up in Iraq, never been used and still in the plastic......the bidding can commence now
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    I have a bodybag I picked up in Iraq, never been used and still in the plastic......the bidding can commence now
    That just seems wrong... Bronco was right about you....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    The fact that it's never been used in indeed an added bonus...!!!.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast