Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outboard engine maintenance

Default outboard engine maintenance

I am currently in the process of selecting a boat manufacturer to build me a offshore aluminium boat to fish the coastal waters of south east Alaska ( Wooldbridge looks like a clear winner , by the way ). My question relates to the engines on such a boat. I plan to moor the boat for a considerable amount of time in or around the nearest harbour. What damage can be caused by the salt water to these type of engines/boats and what is the best method of treating them whilst they are moored. I have read somewhere that the engines needs to be flushed by normal water intermittently . Does this mean in fact after every day.....................thanks from ireland

Micky,
    The charter boats will go an entire fishing season sitting in the water without any trouble. The motors are built to run in the saltwater as well as the boat. When you pull it out, flush it with fresh water as most folks do. The marinas usually have a rinse station available for this purpose.
    As for the boat, coat it in Sharkhide before ever putting it in the water and it will look great years later.
    (Nice choice on boats too, you won't be disappointed!).
    We flush our motors with a product called Salt Away and it seems to work well.
    BK

My advice would be to buy the boat, sans engines. Then, when you select a port, buy your engines from the local mechanic in the brand he deals in, and then have him install them.

THEN, he'll take great care of you, when it comes to all maintenance issues.

Showing up with a shiny new boat, and engines that aren't local aren't the best way to get good service.

I would have the entire package assembled at Wooldridge. I would not plan on needing the local mechanic to repair my outboards, but purchase a reliable set in the first place and then seek the mechanic IF something gave me trouble down the road.
    Todays outboards are pretty darn good regardless of brand.
    BK

Thanks bkmail and 270ti. I was thinking of getting wooldbridge to do the whole lot for me. They have some operation in place. Fantastic company. Im hoping to get a moorage somewhere around Craig or Klawock on the POW and sort of spread out from there. thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Thanks bkmail and 270ti. I was thinking of getting wooldbridge to do the whole lot for me. They have some operation in place. Fantastic company. Im hoping to get a moorage somewhere around Craig or Klawock on the POW and sort of spread out from there. thanks for all the help
    Craig is a good example of a place where you will potentially have MAJOR ISSUES if you have certain motors. As I recall, you are in good shape if you have Yamaha and maybe Suzuki, but you are looking at a long, expensive ferry ride to Ketchikan to get other motors - outboard or I/O - worked on. Spare parts for "off brand" motors are a hassle too - getting anything brought in takes days, a ferry ride, or a charter flight. Get motors that are common in the local charter fleet and you should be in good shape.

Another reason to be on good terms with the local shop and be using engines that they stock parts for is that POW is a really hostile place for boat engines. There are lots of logs, trees, and other junk in the water around POW Island. It also rains a lot and can be very foggy, making even big logs hard to see. Your motor may be running just great, then BANG! and now you need a new lower unit.

Very much on the plus side, the fishing there is GREAT!

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Don't even think about using anybody but Chet at Bay Co in Craig to buy your outboards. Buy the hull/trailer, and let Chet rig a Merc or Yamaha on it. Sooooo many have let the factory rig their boats, only to have a very expensive engine swap in the future. A Honda/Etec/Zuki is the kiss of death on POW.

Wooldridge puts anything on that the customers wants. I have Yamahas on mine, installed at the factory as an example.
    BK

1 dealer on POW. He services an entire charter fleet, and a swarm of private guys. If you want to go fishing, buy from him, and you'll be in and out in a day with ANY problem you have, including 100hr service.. If you don't, you can wait behind the rest of his customers, until he gets time to fit you in. Many people have learned the hard way.

Buy from Chet.. I know of what I speak.

I can second what 270 says.

We bought fully rigged, with Etecs in 2006. Went through a spendy repower last year with Chet. Had our second 100hr service last week, dropped it off on Friday night at 4pm and was catching kings on Saturday by 2pm.

Repowered our other boat with Chet two years ago, last winter we tagged a rock while out deer hunting and he had the lower unit pulled, checked and a new prop back on it in less than a day.

Buy your power local...

Wow. That's invaluable advice. Although I had my heart set on a couple of Honda 250's and 9.9 kicker from the same company. I have used them in the past and they were very reliable. Of course part of the whole deal is having a reliable mechanic at hand ,when and if I need him and im sure that will be the case. Im going to look him up the next couple of days to see what my best options. All things considered , I wished he would have worked on the Honda's but ive heard that Yamaha has a incredible new engine ( sho or something like that ).........Thanks

off course if I buy local ill have to get the hull shipped up to craig so that chet can get working on it. Is this not very time consuming .....

Might want to buy a whole boat package from Chet at the Bay Company. He carries Harbercraft/Kingfisher, Crestliner, Lund. Two years ago I saw some noname pilothouse from some new builder there too. I have seen Northriver's there as well. Bottom price you will end up with a Merc and he moves a lot of them. They are thousands less than a Yamaha.

Sobie2

I guess I'll never be fishing anywhere near Craig if that's the kind of service you get. Buy from him or get poor service? WTH? I understnad supporting the local guy but if you don't you are sure to get slow service just because you brought a new boat from outside? No thanks.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I guess I'll never be fishing anywhere near Craig if that's the kind of service you get.
    Good, we don't need many more boats around here.

It's pretty common knowledge that boat dealerships give priority to those who purchased from them.

Rob, Couldn't agree more......it's pretty crappy of Chet from they way you state it 270.

Seems if you don't pay Chet then your getting screwed when it comes to warranty work. Not someone I would want to deal with at all.

Again, I would get outfitted at Wooly and expect my gear would work properly vs. line Chet's pockets to make sure you get service IF you need it someday.
    BK

This is so funny......... you guy's are bad mouthing Chet because he will not warranty a guy's boat because the guy did not support his business. You should be bad at the dealer that sold the defected product. He is the one that should fix his customer warranty problem, not Chet.

Just saying.

I don't think whining about how "Chet" does business will change anything if he's the only game in town...By all means stay away from Craig - it only has arguably the best king salmon fishing on the planet.

To the OP - if you are homeporting out of Craig, it might be a good idea to discuss your boat selection with a local who runs daily charters out of that port, as he'll have a good handle on what works well. One such person has thus far been quite active on this thread...

I'm not bad mothing Chet by any means, just think it's a poor way to do business. As stated earlier, the comments were clear to us that it's not warranty work they rely on Chet for, it's all the submerged logs and crap floating in the water that Chet is repairing on their fleet.....
    Absolutely glad I am no where near Craig, as I don't think Chet and I would see eye to eye. That's OK though, different strokes for different folks.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'm not bad mothing Chet by any means, just think it's a poor way to do business. As stated earlier, the comments were clear to us that it's not warranty work they rely on Chet for, it's all the submerged logs and crap floating in the water that Chet is repairing on their fleet.....
    Absolutely glad I am no where near Craig, as I don't think Chet and I would see eye to eye. That's OK though, different strokes for different folks.
    BK
    You guys are cracking me up, "Chet" appears to be making the most of the free market. If you don't like it go open a boat shop and give hime some competition with say, Honda/Woolridge dealership... I even know where you could find your first customer...

Rant over, i'll say I bought a Honda because of their specs and I never even looked at Yamahas or Evinrude because of the dealerships who have those franchises here in Kenai, albeit on a river boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast