Thread: Polaris starter problem

Default Polaris starter problem

I have a 1999 Polaris Indy Wide Track LX. I'm not too mechanical, so I hope someone here can help. The gear that sticks out of the starter is worn and just spins. Can I replace just that part, or do I need a new starter? I tried to take the starter off, but there's one bolt on the bottom toward the outside that is inaccessible. Can someone tell me how to get at that bolt? Do I need a special tool, or do I have to take something else off first? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I can use the pull start like I did last winter, but sometimes when it's cold and I haven't used it in awhile, it's a bugger to pull. The electric start would be handy. My late husband, Chuck ("hiline" was his username on here) used to take care of all this stuff, so I'll probably be asking more questions like this as I go along.

Thanks!

Jenny

that may or may not be the problem. there is a ground cable coming off the starter, if that ground bolt (and it's hard to get to) is loose....the starter won't come out all the way. you need a very short wrench to get in there, or remove the starter to clean up that connection and bolt it back up. I put 13 years on a widetrak lx....trust me on this one. your starter may be fine.

Okay, so that bolt that's so hard to get to under there is the ground bolt? The cable looked to be coming from the side toward the inside of the snow machine, but the bolt is nearer the outside of the machine. Anyway, so what you're saying is that I may just need to clean up or just tighten that bolt I can't get to, right? The teeth on that gear are pretty worn down, but I'll see if I can get to that bolt with something. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LastFrontier View Post
    The gear that sticks out of the starter is worn and just spins.
    When you say the gear just spins..... do you mean you can turn it with your fingers? Or it spins when you try to start the sled? Another question does the gear jump forward when you try to start it? Can you take a picture of it?

another reason for spining/slipping while not fully engaging it a dead battery. battery might also need charging or replacing if it don't hold a charge. Forgot to mention that.