Thread: Fresh water lamprey

Default Fresh water lamprey

I was fishing a parks highway stream this weekend and found a dead lamprey in a shallow eddy. I was quite impressed with its size. Is a 20" lamprey normal?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375213091.021580.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	72551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375213121.786414.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	72552

Is this a spawner or did it catch a ride on a king? Your thoughts please....
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375213282.237440.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	72553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375213297.140551.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	72554

I'm pretty sure they spawn in the Susitna drainage.

Yeah, they're present all through the Susitna Drainage. I've collected many ammocoetes (juveniles) in the spring after the floods in the Susitna Drainage. That's most likely a post spawn adult.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I wondered where I dropped my lunch!!

They have access to any drainage that runs into the ocean so!!!!! They are every place just about you can think of. On the coast some people call them eels and are a major food source :-) Nummy Lamprey for lunch!

Some stay in river, some go to the salt and come back to spawn. If I was to guess based on size that's a go to the salt and return to spawn Alaskan Brook Lamprey/Sea Lamprey.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...s/lampreys.pdf
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    That says everything I wanted to know about Alaskan lampreys. Thanks Franky!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I was fishing a parks highway stream this weekend and found a dead lamprey in a shallow eddy. I was quite impressed with its size. Is a 20" lamprey normal?Click image for larger version. 

That is definitely an adult. I have found them in Willow Creek, Deshka River, and the Gulkana River but none that big. I have also found the Juveniles ammocoetes that are filter feeders. Actually my son found one when he was digging around in the mud on the banks of the Gulkana River. He brought it too me and he thought it was a worm but with a closer inspection you could tell it was a juvenile ammocoete with gills and a sucker for a mouth. That one you found is a pretty good size one I would say. Hard to say what it was doing. I seem to recall reading that they spawn in the spring time. But they definitely are parasitic, so chances are he or she was catching a ride on some type of fish. You should have cut it open to see if there were some eggs in it. I know they are quite prolific and when they are spawning they are full of tiny eggs.

Default Interesting photos... inspirational maybe?

Seen many fish caught on big leech patterns, but it never... occurred to me to tie one THAT long. Look out 12XLEECH??

Nice upgrade does that come with Fries?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Yeah, they're present all through the Susitna Drainage. I've collected many ammocoetes (juveniles) in the spring after the floods in the Susitna Drainage. That's most likely a post spawn adult.
    What do you do with the juveniles?

I caught one on the Columbia one time (live), snagged it if I recall, scared the crap out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post

It's a Pacific Lamprey. Have caught them larger than 20" on the Deshka River with hoop traps,unintentionally, while doing smolt work there back in the '90's. Scared the ba jesus out of a crew memeber once when she reached in and it wrapped its self around her arm at 2 in the morning. Fun times for sure.

I have seem the odd one swimming up Deep Creek (down on the KP) during Silver season... kind of freaked me out at first. Never considered eating it... maybe next time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have seem the odd one swimming up Deep Creek (down on the KP) during Silver season... kind of freaked me out at first. Never considered eating it... maybe next time.
    Yeah, have seen a fair number of them over the years in Deep Crk. And twenty inches is about par for the course. Most of them I've seen were dead or near dead.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I soak them in formalin first and store them in a glass container with ethanol.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The juveniles make the best burbot bait. Used them as a kid in Fairbanks, cut em in half and they'll bleed and wiggle for up to an hour. Would usually have a burbot by then so I wouldn't know how much longer they wiggle. Old Indian taught me!

Fishin Injun!

they are the best burbot bait hands down..you can dig em up by the canoe rental place, chena river by the pegar bridge early summer after breakup...in the mud...