Thread: Deciphering inlet weather? Anything better than NOAA?

Default Deciphering inlet weather? Anything better than NOAA?

Took a trip to deep creek yesterday. The forecast before I left was 10kts and 2 ft. I used the graphical as well as the text and my radio. We get down there and the weather was atrocious. Probably 20+ mph gust with swells that were often 6 ft. We didn't even get in the water. As well pulled up the guide fleet was all screaming off the water @ 11 in the morning.

So my question would be is there any better way to tell what the actual conditions are before heading out? It was a pretty rough 6 hours of driving to tow the boat down look at the water and turn around.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Took a trip to deep creek yesterday. The forecast before I left was 10kts and 2 ft. I used the graphical as well as the text and my radio. We get down there and the weather was atrocious. Probably 20+ mph gust with swells that were often 6 ft. We didn't even get in the water. As well pulled up the guide fleet was all screaming off the water @ 11 in the morning.

So my question would be is there any better way to tell what the actual conditions are before heading out? It was a pretty rough 6 hours of driving to tow the boat down look at the water and turn around.
    i have yet to get my boat wet down there too. I brought it down memorial weekend and that afternoon wind just killed my plans for that day. kinda figured you have to hit it really early in the morning on a good slack tide to get any kind of fishing in a inflatable.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    i have yet to get my boat wet down there too. I brought it down memorial weekend and that afternoon wind just killed my plans for that day. kinda figured you have to hit it really early in the morning on a good slack tide to get any kind of fishing in a inflatable.
    We went down 2 weeks ago in the afternoon and it looked like a lake all day. Forecast was the same. Dont get the large difference between the same weather report over 2 days. We are about 75% success rate at getting the boat on the water. Out of 7 trips we had to turn around twice now.

Think this must be the buoy that used to be located off Anchor Point and has been out of service for awhile. Not as handy of a location tucked back into Kachemak Bay .... but still helpful. Would be nice to have a full service buoy that gave current wind velocity along with wave height. Would save a lot of driving time for a lot of people.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46108

It's a weather forecast and as such is subject to change. Some times they are spot on and sometimes a storm seams to come out of nowhere. One thing to think about is keeping an eye on Kodiak weather. More often then not what's happening in Kodiak will be happening in the inlet the 12-24 hours so it's worth seeing where the lows are that will be coming through. Sometimes weather moves faster than predicted, sometimes weather moves slower than predicted.

The weather is always a crapshoot. I've had times where the forecast looks favorable and when you get to the launch you wonder if you should go out. Other times the forecast sounds like it'll be choppy and it turns out to be like glass. The weekend before last was supposed to be relatively calm all weekend and we had a small craft advisory in Passage Canal when we came back early on Saturday.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Think this must be the buoy that used to be located off Anchor Point and has been out of service for awhile. Not as handy of a location tucked back into Kachemak Bay .... but still helpful. Would be nice to have a full service buoy that gave current wind velocity along with wave height. Would save a lot of driving time for a lot of people.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46108
    Thats a little more helpful. You can sort of get a gauge of how close and how big the waves around that area are.

I know weather is subject to change. I am just looking for a way to get a better feel before driving out. I like many others don't really care to waste time or money driving down. I know its part of fishing just want to get a better handle on it for myself and get a better grasp on what to expect before I head out the door.

If your looking at using the tractors at Deep Creek or Anchor Point, get there phone numbers and give them a callfor a heads up. If your making a long drive it is a crap shoot. I would suggest to try and make it a 2 or 3 day adventure if possible.
    One nice thing about Homer is you can always try back in the bay or behind some of the islands when it gets rough.

Tight Lines, RD

Quote Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
    If your looking at using the tractors at Deep Creek or Anchor Point, get there phone numbers and give them a callfor a heads up. If your making a long drive it is a crap shoot. I would suggest to try and make it a 2 or 3 day adventure if possible.
    One nice thing about Homer is you can always try back in the bay or behind some of the islands when it gets rough.

Tight Lines, RD
    I thought about calling the tractor but I don't use them since I am able to beach launch myself. I don't think they'll be very receptive to me asking about the weather judging by the stink eye I got when I drove my boat past them and launched it myself.

NOAA is the origin of all weather info, I look at the public marine, to include the bouy info. and aviation forcast, to include the winds at 3, 6 and 9,000 ft. I also look at the cameras at this site "http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php". Even with all that I find unexpected conditions out on the water. I have never crossed Blying Sound, on my way to SW PWS, with out encountering several changes in weather .... just rember "dark hrizon" is likely bad news. Keep track of where the big red "L's" on the surface charts. When you are fishing look for the seagulls and know the structure of the bottom.

I have also found the following helpful and use them all to make a go/no go call on boating:

http://www.aoos.org/
    Nice because it brings a ton of different resources together in one place - winds, waves, webcams, weather, etc.

http://www.buoyweather.com/
    A good way to see the predominant swell that will be in the area.

http://magicseaweed.com/North-East-P...hartType=HTSGW
    I use it mostly for surfing, but it is a good way to see the big picture in the Pacific before I take my boat out.

Thanks for the links! This hopefully will make my life a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I thought about calling the tractor but I don't use them since I am able to beach launch myself. I don't think they'll be very receptive to me asking about the weather judging by the stink eye I got when I drove my boat past them and launched it myself.
    Call marine services anyway, they don't know what your fishing from. I call them whenever the wind is blowing at my house, saves me a drive if their shut down.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    Call marine services anyway, they don't know what your fishing from. I call them whenever the wind is blowing at my house, saves me a drive if their shut down.
    Copy that. What time do they usually start launching boats?