Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulkana Reds are you there?

Default Gulkana Reds are you there?

Anyone think it would be worth a drive to the Gulkana or Klutina for some reds? Didn't have much luck last weekend (7/21-23) at Klutina. Last year we caught reds in Gulkana around Aug 9-14th.

Any and all opinions welcome. Trying to get a new fisherman on a few reds if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    Anyone think it would be worth a drive to the Gulkana or Klutina for some reds? Didn't have much luck last weekend (7/21-23) at Klutina. Last year we caught reds in Gulkana around Aug 9-14th.

Any and all opinions welcome. Trying to get a new fisherman on a few reds if possible.
    I got skunked for Kings on Klutina last week (24th). A few reds were rolling. I hope to check out Gulkana on 1st. Any suggestions on a place to floss? The bridge? We are passing through and want to wet a line otherwise I'd get a raft for the day.

Good luck,
    Tom

We fished right below the Gulkana bridge. About a 1/8 mile south of the bridge is a turn off to the left that will take you to the "camping parking lot" with easy river access. If I can get some idea of the reds run (or not) from other members ( Gulkana Rafting ) I want to head down and try again. It's just too darn expensive to head down and not have a chance to catch a few fish.

Default Reds Gulkana and timing

You do know if your in Fairbanks and going to the Outdoor Show in late April I know a guy who knows a guy who discusses these things in his fishing seminars.

PM Walt and ask him to give you a note or shout when they show in August. Everything is a week two behind it seems. The first run is through and over 27K have been counted above the fish towers above the forks about 9 miles.

I would think being that everything as stated is a little behind the weekend of the 17th could be reasonable. Traditionally about the 8th is my target date for the Gulkana run. The Klutina should be again reasonable soon again might wish to contact King for Day and ask that famous question are they in.

Best Wish

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting.

Thumbs down Gulkana Last sunday

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    You do know if your in Fairbanks and going to the Outdoor Show in late April I know a guy who knows a guy who discusses these things in his fishing seminars.

PM Walt and ask him to give you a note or shout when they show in August. Everything is a week two behind it seems. The first run is through and over 27K have been counted above the fish towers above the forks about 9 miles.

I would think being that everything as stated is a little behind the weekend of the 17th could be reasonable. Traditionally about the 8th is my target date for the Gulkana run. The Klutina should be again reasonable soon again might wish to contact King for Day and ask that famous question are they in.

Best Wish

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting.
    What Blue Moose says. NADA last weekend.

Fit in a little time the past few days on both rivers. Klutina is slow. Only put about 2 rod hours in and saw/bumped nothing. 3 others fishing nearby and they had one fish between them in about 45 minutes. That fish looked like you could tear it in half with your bare hands, a true "red" salmon. Saw a couple of fish on the Gulkana but nothing thick yet. I usually hit it after sheep hunting as the hatchery run starts showing up around Aug. 10 traditionally (give/take a few days). If your driving from somewhere long distance I wouldn't waste your time this week. As for locations the bridge is about as good as any just expect a few more people. I did find a nice 20 lb. king at the bridge that had recently expired. It was in about 3 feet of water and I fished it in with a stick. It looked like a June 10th Gulkana King, dime bright. As I was fiddling around with it I realized it probably looked like I had just killed a king and didn't know what to do. Was a bummer to see a nice fish like that not able to do its thing on these low runs. Remember if you hook any up flossing reds to treat em gentle.

I'm sure there are reds in the Gulkana by this time. Fishing has tapered off at Klutina, in fact it has been about 10 days now since it began to get slow. They should be in the Gulkana. Anyone know how far you can jet boat up the Gulkana? I know there is a ADF&G marker 7.5 miles up. Anyone been up there this year? I hear the river has changed but wondering how the water is? Murky? I'm planning on heading down tomorrow and boating up a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by rizks_2000 View Post
    I'm sure there are reds in the Gulkana by this time. Fishing has tapered off at Klutina, in fact it has been about 10 days now since it began to get slow. They should be in the Gulkana. Anyone know how far you can jet boat up the Gulkana? I know there is a ADF&G marker 7.5 miles up. Anyone been up there this year? I hear the river has changed but wondering how the water is? Murky? I'm planning on heading down tomorrow and boating up a ways.
    I've been tracking it on the usgs streamflow site. Water levels are nearing all time lows with really no rain in the forecast. I'm looking at floating down not jetting up though.

By 7.5 miles up I am assuming you are talking above the Forks. The River has drastically changed and two weeks ago with the water flowing at or about 800 CFM it would seem tricky in certain locations even below the forks to Jet Boat. That being said once you hit towers you will find very little water on either side of the Island at the Towers and you will find the 2nd island even more fun. Once and if you get up to 12 miles above the counter deeper holes available for a while once you get to the old Spawn Shop forget it.

How does one fish this river, Same way we fish the klutina?
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Yes in a word yes

Fished the Gulkana bridge from Friday 5PM until 2PM Sunday. Two words describe the action: IT STUNK!
    The river is way different than last year. Only one guy, apparently named "Larry" was the only one catching fish. You had to wade across to this island just up from the bridge and fish right on the downstream side. Not accesible to very many people. There were probably 15 people fishing at any given time. I saw maybe 10 fish landed by people (other than "Larry") the whole weekend. The ran could have been worse, but overall the weather was fairly nice. Man, I'm either a day late or a day early for this Gulkana/Klutina fishing!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

You must of not been holding your mouth correctly. I know the other people who were those catching fish. I am assuming you were in the Chevy Truck with the pull behind camper. Yes the fishing was Slow and Yes Larry was knocking them dead! Fishing down stream was reasonable.

Will be better soon! Little rain helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    You must of not been holding your mouth correctly. I know the other people who were those catching fish. I am assuming you were in the Chevy Truck with the pull behind camper. Yes the fishing was Slow and Yes Larry was knocking them dead! Fishing down stream was reasonable.

Will be better soon! Little rain helps a lot.
    Are you "Larry" ?? ROFL! lol

Hey Moose. Yep, that was me in the chevy with the old pull camper. I saw two rafts come in Friday evening with 6 guys. Only a few fish were caught between them. Saturday evening a raft with 3 people came in and were limited, but the guides dad was telling me she was about 2 hours longer than usual on this float. Guess I should of rented a guided raft!!

Anyways, down to Valdez this weekend. Of course I'll be anxious to see the crowd at the Gulkana.

We call him "Naked Larry." A nice guy but a little off.

LOL on the Larry Comments I am off. I am a frayed knot :-) and all though I am off I am not Larry. Or is it I think I am not Larry but because I am off I am just confused. Dang it!

That being said I wished I would have known that earlier I would have invited you over for a beer! Have a couple of peeps down there you know that place this weekend. No need for a Boat or a guide now fish are pushing fine. Limited people simple fact is most have already accomplish their fishing and now are chasing other food sources.

Good Luck!

Went down yesterday lots if fish everyone was catching fish, they were pretty dark though.

Now the honest part. I didn't catch amything! I guess I don't have this lining thing down I snagged 5 fish and hooked one good one which I lost. Oh well it was fun to get out of Fairbanks.

I see the river is coming up fast with the rain. Anyone have an idea if it might be fishable by next weekend or is the rain going to continue for a while?

I headed to Valdez Friday. Stopped by the Gulkana and there they were!! More reds than you could count. So, I threw in my line and landed 4 in an hour. Depending on who you talk to, they are still good (or not). Anyways, I kept the 4 and headed on to valdez where we nailed the silvers (4 limits in under 3 hours Sat and Sunday). Will compare them to the silvers. Stopped back by the river Monday on my way back to Fairbanks. People were still fishing and talked to a few people. Looked like all were having good luck with the flossing. So, I finally got some fish from the river!! Wooooo-Hoooo!!!
    Moose, I don't remember exactly how I was holding my mouth, but it must have been the right way this time. lol

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast