Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal? Maybe? Inform me, please.

Default Good deal? Maybe? Inform me, please.

I'm shopping around for a sort of general use boat and saw this. Seems like a pretty good deal, but figured someone on here might know some of it's history.

Any info, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3888862106.html

80 views and no comments? Wow.

Ok...everything but make, model, and year aside, is that even a good price? I really have no idea what a 97 Jetcraft should be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    80 views and no comments? Wow.

Ok...everything but make, model, and year aside, is that even a good price? I really have no idea what a 97 Jetcraft should be worth.

Hi. I own a 2010 Jetcraft Extreme Shallow...and paid about 50K with all the bells and whistles.. 16,900 seems pretty good but that engine seems to be an oddball for Jetcraft unless they were using chevy engines back then. I would say it is at least worth looking at in person and bring someone else knowledgeable. Could be a really great deal if everything checks out!

M.

Seems to me ...... if the boat had no motor or pump ....... it would still be worth more than the asking price.

All around RIVER/LAKE boat, yeah. I bet it'll shorten your spine with any chop at all in the salt.

Yeah, not planning on any ocean voyages in that thing. I would probably take it out of Valdez up to the narrows in search of silvers. Even in bad weather that stretch isn't usually too bad, but I would like something for rivers and possible hunting rig. Thanks for the info. Think I'll give him a call.

find out how many hours are on the motor and jet unit since last rebuild.

Total engine hours is 286. Not bad for a '97. Impeller rebuilt 2 years ago but hardly used since then. I'm going to take a look at it now.

Overall, pretty decent shape. Needs a new driver window. A few dings and scratches, but nothing major. Started right up and sounded healthy. If I could convince the wife, I'd jump at it.

nice boat its in a little bit better shape than the thunder jet I just bought for a bit more.(judging by the pics) but mine is a 2004 and only has 122hrs on it only a 350 chevy single stage jet. I have found that boats are always hard to judge what they are worth. everybody thinks there boat is worth more that what it usually is.

The seller and I both are headed back up to the slope for a couple of weeks, so he's sitting on it longer. He told me to think it over and make an offer. Also contingent on a run in the water. He's throwing in electronics and a couple 15-gallon drums, too. It's older and you can tell...little nicks and tears and it'll need new canvas in a year or two. But overall value, if the engine keeps running, is good. Also has a kicker bracket with fuel line tapped into main tank and wash-down. I dunno. I like it. It'd be a good hunting/dipping platform.

When you heard the engine run was the boat on the trailer ot in the water, or did the jet pump have water running to it from a connected hose?

On the trailer very briefly, no water. I would obviously need to test it in the water.

Sent by my communicator

Say goodbye to the seal that separates the the shaft bearing from the water. I owned a 3 stage hamilton, tore it down for maintenance and inspection so I am familiar with them (also a mechanic). That seal will more than likely now leak and the bearing will suffer in the end. One thing Kodiak did to them was install a hose fitting so that a garden hose can be connected to allow for running them on the trailer. I wonder if that particular one lacked the fitting, or if the current owner is even aware of it's prupose should it exist?

Not a difficult task to tear them down for maintenance or repair though, very straight forward.

I can't believe people that start their motors with no water supply. Follow .338s advice.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty iffy myself. I'd never do that, but it's not my boat. It was only on long enough to prove it would start right up, for whatever that's worth. Not sure how much damage you can do in a second or two. Still wouldn't have done it myself. That was a big no no all my life with outboards and I/O's...

Sent by my communicator

The seal in question is placed under a load against spacer by a stiff coil spring in order to keep the jet stream from sucking it out of the housing and on down the shaft, so it is a pretty heavy spring. Consider taking a drill that will turn 1000rpm with a 2" disk in the chuck, now turn on the drill and place it against your skin or even a piece of glass while leaning on the drill, either your skin or the seal (disk) is going to leave fail (transfer material)almost immediately due to the friciton/heat.

The up side is that you know it was started when it should not have been and perhaps can use that to your advantage. The down side is that may indicate a tendency of the current owner to do other things that may have had a negative effect, but may not be readily noticeable.

Did you look into the jet pump from the nozzle end, did the impellers (what can be seen of them) look good-very little gap to the wear ring, leading edge in good shape? There is also an inspection cover on the top of the pump that allows for cleanout of debris and to do a visual on the leading impeller, you can also see the spring and seal I mention (best to use a mirror).

Incedentaly, there are other parts that can suffer by running it dry, in each stator is a rubber cutlass bearing to support the shaft, they of course rely on water for lubrication and cooling, though not under spring tension they are still affected by friciton but they will be more tolerant than the seal. The thing is if the boat was started for you then it has likely been started for every other person who has viewed it, at least that is how I would look at it, and if so the seal has certainly suffered and perhaps the cutlass bearings as well.

Figured id make the job harder by giving you options, this ones about the same and you dont have to join team jetcraft. dsjzd-3980746386@sale.craigslist.org?subject=20' Jetcraft Jet Boat - $16600 (Anchorage)&body=

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3980746386.html

Quote Originally Posted by akhigh View Post
    Figured id make the job harder by giving you options, this ones about the same and you dont have to join team jetcraft. dsjzd-3980746386@sale.craigslist.org?subject=20' Jetcraft Jet Boat - $16600 (Anchorage)&body=

That looks like it's in better shape in general. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by akhigh View Post

Is this the same model as the other one? They look basically the same. Anyone have any info on this? I should hear tomorrow if I can get the money to get a boat or if I'll have to wait a while longer. Being the end of the season, I can probably be a little picky for deals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast