Thread: Rusting Safe-T-Hauler pot puller sheave

Default Rusting Safe-T-Hauler pot puller sheave

Actually, it's the My-T-Puller one, but made by the same manufacturer (Quality Products Northwest) as the Safe-T-Puller and Safe-T-Hauler. I've used it only this season and already there is lots of rust all over the stainless steel sheave. I contacted the manufacturer about it, and they said that they've never heard of this rust problem before. They suggested that it might be stains instead of rust (looks like rust to me) and suggested I try cleaning it with No. 7 Chrome and Metal Polish (can't find this anywhere in Anchorage area). And it if comes clean, to then keep the sheave covered with Corrosion X (something like that. I'd have to re-read their email). They have offered to try to remove the rust/stains if I just unbolt that part of the sheave and send it to them and that's fine, but has anyone had this problem? Assuming that I can get the rust/stains off, I still think that I should not have to use preventative measures to keep them from occurring in the future. Even my Ace pot puller never got rust/stains on it.

try some brasso on them. funny that "stainless" should rust ??? Is the rust in a lot of spots or maybe just where the rope wears on the plates ?? still shouldn't rust.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

rusty sheave.jpg

If this pic shows up, then you can see what I'm talking about. I may be able to remove it, but then it's just going to show up again or I'm going to have to keep putting something on it to keep it from showing up.

Same thing happened to my "stainless" BBQ grill from Lowes this year.
    I don't think it hurts anything though, just not shiny anymore.
    BK

it has to do with the quality of the stainless. but with salt water everything rusts at some point.

There are a whole host of stainless alloys, and the resistance to corrosion varies tremendously based on what allow is used. Also if stainless is worked with carbon steel tools, such as a wire brush, a small amount of the carbon steel will be transferred to the stainless and corrode.

I wonder if they went with a lower grade of stainless for the shive such as 304. I went with 304 ss on my handrails to save some $ and they show corrosion. My safe-t-puller after 2 seasons doesn't show any corrosion.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Skydiver, I was introduced to this product on another forum today. You may be familiar with it, but if not, it may serve your needs: http://www.fluid-film.com/ I have the same problem with my sheaves..just more understandable in my case since mine are epoxy coated steel and I'd expect rust once the epoxy is rubbed off. An old knife maker once told me (tongue in cheek, I think, anyway) that they call it stainless steel because it stains less...as opposed to stainfree, which would indicate no staining potential, at all. This was in response to my query as to why the two stainless knives I built under his direction were showing signs of light rust after little use.

I just wanted to follow up on this. Quality Products Northwest (QPNW) had me ship my rusty sheave to them for inspection. A few days later, I received a new sheave in the mail. I think the rust problem I had was an isoloated incident, but it's good to know that QPNW did the right thing.

They have always seemed like a good company to me. I used mine year round for 13 years and it never rusted like that. I didn't treat it in any special way.