Thread: Bear hunting alone

Default Bear hunting alone

How many of you hunt black bear alone? I've been there on one hunting trip and i'm really wanting to get back up there for another one. My hunting partner can't make it this year and I'm considering going it alone. I know from a safety standpoint it may not be the smartest idea I've ever had. Okay, start throwing out the problems I haven't considered.

I've bear hunted alone. The problem
    I have going it alone is boredom. I get ancy and make poor decisions. I prefer a partner to help keep me in check and run any idea by two minds, rather than one. Considering most of bear hunting is done through your glass, it can get boring sitting there on your own.

The whole safety aspect of bear hunting with a partner doesn't really appeal to me. Sure there's safety in numbers but I wouldn't let being alone stop me. It didn't stop me stalking monster grizz up north when I was alone. I say go for it of you can't find someone else. Can't shoot em from your couch. Well I guess in some places you can...

I harvested a black bear last year on my own. If you have never pulled a large predator from halfway up a mountain by yourself. Of course afterwards I wrecked my car, and that kinda sucked...

Do it! I usually do my hunting solo as well.

I harvested my first bear by myself. It was tricky getting it up into the truck after I dragged it off the mountain.

I know a lot of people, including me, that hunt blackies by themselves.......not a problem.

A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like to fly in with a hunting partner, that does not mean we hunt the same area. It does mean at night we know we have stories to tell and know if each other did return to camp. Black bears are like 16 year old gangster wanna be's in my opinion, curious and brave. I don't trust them, like humans they have a personality of their own. I've had them close enough in camp to pet, (he's on my wall), had them bluff charge and circle ( moose meat in camp, and four of us in camp). In my humble opinion it's what you are comfortable with. I can tell you a story of a hunter that hunted solo for years that ended up strapped in a tree at nights as a brown bear and its cubs hunted him by night, and him hunting them by day (14 days can be a long time). I think it depends on where you hunt, and knowing the territory. With all that said, don't think twice about going after that black bear. Just be smart, and be prepared.

I appreciate all the responses. Seems that the majority is the same as I was thinking, be alert, be careful and have fun on the hunt. That works for me. I think it's time to get packed and head that way then. I've got a new 45-70 I'm just waiting to use up there.

I think it depends on how/where you hunt them. I know that in trying for them down on the Kenai, that trying to get up the mountain on your own is more mental than anything. It takes a lot mental fortitude, and I think worrying about running into cow moose, brown bears, and falling while alone can limit you - it does me. People, like wolves, hunt better when with a pack where you can discuss things and help one another out. That said, the wife has usually been in the RV or cabin while I've been trudging up the mountain. Maybe she's just smarter than me?

The only differences in hunting with a group and with yourself are as mentioned:

if you get bored easily, or the silence makes you nuts....it will be harder. I personally like the silence.

You have to carry nearly as much stuff as for two, just a little less food, and you have to carry out all the meat/hide without help.

You definitely need to make conservative choices on situations that may get you in trouble, cuz that extra hand to help you out with a sprained ankle, deep cut, twisted knee......isn't there.

I hunt solo all the time, it's not for everyone, but with the right decisions it is completely doable, soul baring, and when completed can be a great sense of accomplishment. I like my hunting buddies,but I don't let their potential unavailability dissuade me from going out, I just may need to rein things in a bit.

I do 95% of my hunting alone in Texas. But I have the security of mobile phone in some areas if needed. Also, I'm usually less than 3 miles from my truck and I'm at the top of the food chain. I realize the differences in Texas and Alaska so that's a good start. No phone and middle of the food chain. I'm thinking about the areas around Livengood. Doing my research and making sure its an area I can handle alone. Planning an early to mid September hunt.

I would not do any predator calls in case a big grizz comes in fast. My hunting partners and I make sure we have a good position when calling and have a 360 view to be sure we are not over run quickly. Much harder to do solo.

Quote Originally Posted by TxYoteHunter View Post
    I do 95% of my hunting alone in Texas. But I have the security of mobile phone in some areas if needed. Also, I'm usually less than 3 miles from my truck and I'm at the top of the food chain. I realize the differences in Texas and Alaska so that's a good start. No phone and middle of the food chain. I'm thinking about the areas around Livengood. Doing my research and making sure its an area I can handle alone. Planning an early to mid September hunt.
    Rent a satelite phone. I've used Outfitter Satelite in Nashville, TX - so much that I bought a used one.

Many of my hunts are solo, sheep, goat, bears. I have hunted grizzly solo with just a bow (no gun backup). Probably wouldn't do it again since I now have kids, but I did it may way and that makes it one of my most valued trophies.

Good idea. I'll be checking on that. Sounds like a good insurance item just in case of problems. Thanks

I have taken a few bears while solo hunting its not that bad... Last night I honestly swore black bear and grizz hunting is safer than wild razorback hunting (I was surrounded in a ground blind by over 10 very large and very aggressive hogs while doing a filmed hunt in NC). I will post video up after I edit it as we are heading back out tonight to do more filming. The big thing is find something to keep yourself occupied and alert and dont make dumb decisions just play it by the book and enjoy the wilderness and the thrill of the hunt.

-Ryan
    Boars, Bucks and Bruins

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Hunting alone gives you time to reflect in upon yourself also. The time spent on a hunt between the excitement of the chase and the work of the success, is salve to your soul.

If you think you might have issues, get a spot, a satalite phone, ect.

Make sure you leave a fairly well travel plan with someone you trust- With a date and time to start search and rescue if you do not check in.

Have fun,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    I have taken a few bears while solo hunting its not that bad... Last night I honestly swore black bear and grizz hunting is safer than wild razorback hunting (I was surrounded in a ground blind by over 10 very large and very aggressive hogs while doing a filmed hunt in NC). I will post video up after I edit it as we are heading back out tonight to do more filming. The big thing is find something to keep yourself occupied and alert and dont make dumb decisions just play it by the book and enjoy the wilderness and the thrill of the hunt.

-Ryan
    Boars, Bucks and Bruins
    Sounds good shockey