Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of a couple billies from yesterday.

Default Pics of a couple billies from yesterday.

We did a hike this weekend and got within 25-30 feet of these two goats. They weren't too concerned with us being near them and walked off a little ways and laid back down.

How good of goats are these? I wouldn't hesitate taking either of these billies as they look like nice ones to me!

And here is the second goat...

Those look like great goats to me! I would not hesitate either. Nice pics!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Gorgeous animals! Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

I'm not a goat hunter, so wouldn't know, but I did notice that at least one of them had light colored horns with black tips. I wonder if that is a sign of its age? Seems to me most trophy horns I see are all black.

Nice pics! I'm getting pumped for my up coming oct. goat hunt, can't wait to get up the mountain with my son and see what we see.
    Thanks for sharing.

How do they taste? Never had any and was just discussing this with a friend of mine in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
    How do they taste? Never had any and was just discussing this with a friend of mine in Anchorage.

Bomb. Goat is great. But as akrstabout will tell you; dont eat with salmon. Rookie mistake.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    We did a hike this weekend and got within 25-30 feet of these two goats. They weren't too concerned with us being near them and walked off a little ways and laid back down.

How good of goats are these? I wouldn't hesitate taking either of these billies as they look like nice ones to me!

And here is the second goat...

It is quite apparant that this is a monster billie. Look at the base to length ratio, and take a look at his droopers. Holy crap! HAHAHA
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

When I leave my weapons behind, it seems I can almost pet animals ~~LOL!!~~

Great pictures, I wish I was there. Fresh and shiney coats, It reminds me Goats of Glacier Park, back in Montana.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Love the pics! Easy to tell it is early in the year without a good beard yet. I noticed the two tone horns...are these lower 48 goats? Thanks for sharing, I love outdoor shots.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I would assume that these are Alaskan goats.
    "Grin and Bear It"

No guys, these are from the Kenai Penn. In a very accessible area. My wife and I are going to Kodiak to hunt goats the first week of September. I've never hunted goats before and I know these are good goats but just wondering how good.

They look like very good goats to me! Thanks for the photos.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Really? Gonna get that technical on me? Gees! Roger asked if they were lower 48 goats. You weren't positive. Sorry I didn't word it better.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Really? Gonna get that technical on me? Gees! Roger asked if they were lower 48 goats. You weren't positive. Sorry I didn't word it better.
    Didn't mean to come across as to getting technical...didn't think you would go out of state for a hike & goat scouting expedition.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
    MMMMMMMMMMMM.......Goat......Best dang burger you will ever have. Had mine cut with beef 10% fat and I am now guarding my last reserves from last year like a doberman pinscher Steaks were a little tough though, had to beat the hell out of em' with a meat mallet.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    MMMMMMMMMMMM.......Goat......Best dang burger you will ever have........
    I've heard that before. Must be true!

Great pics, Mossy! Thanks for sharing. It's always cool to get close to critters when out hiking, especially a couple of nice billies like that. I'd be more than happy punching my tag on either of those goats.

As to the two-toned horns, I'm no expert on goats, but I think a lot of billies come back from the taxidermist with darker horns than when they went in. These are both good goats (from Alaska - to be clear). In fact the second one is a really good goat. And both had fairly light bases. It's even more apparent in sunlight, such as mossy's photos.

Again - awesome pictures!
    Cheers,
    Rich

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Sweet pics fellows love the up close shots.. I have been really thinking of getting into goat hunting more and more.. I harvested one in the park a few years back and helped on a few hunts but I am not the best judge of goats.. For me I look at the ears then compare horn length to ear lengte.. Ears are said to be 6ish or so on an adult so that should give a good indication.. I was told that the nostris to the eye is said to be 8 to 9 but not over 9 so there is another tool.. If I were forced to guess I would say a touch over 9

Sweat pics man! Looks like you were in bow range?I wouldn't pass up on either of those goats,Bet there pushing 10" and the one looks to have good bases.Way to get in sheep shape chasing billies.I haven't climbed up anything since bear season.7 more days till I see if I still have it!

For your consideration.
    The rule 'o thumb on goats is mature billies have 9" faces from the eyes to the top of the nose, so if the horns appear to be about as long as the face it's a shooter. A 9" goat is in the same class as a 50" moose or a 20" whitetail.

The goat in the snow is a walk away Booner and the other is a contender. (51" is the cutoff for the all time list. 47" for Awards)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast